a guitar + amp for 2000$
any suggestions?

I like Sex Pistols sound + some Green Day and punk in general
not really into Metal...
Second hand VHT pitbull and a guitar that you find comfortable that has at least a humbucker in the bridge.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Your most likely going to want to spend <800 on your guitar and >1200 on the amp. Maybe more on amp. I would say go for a Epi Les Paul/Used Gibson Les Paul if you want to play Green Day (not a huge fan of them but I'm pretty sure BJ plays Gibson Les Pauls just like the rest of the untalented power chord only playing musician sell out etc. /end rant) and as far as an amp goes maybe a used JCM 800? Its kind of a common setup but I guess it suits your needs.
Where's Waldo?
Maybe a Gibson Les Paul Junior with maybe a second hand JCM800?
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Look at the blackstar series? most of them parr artisan series have a knob that adjusts the output power, and they sound very nice!
Indie Custom Guitar w/BKP Nailbombs
Blackstar Series One 100 Head + Cab
MXR Phase 90
MXR carbon copy
TC Electronics Polytune
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Tomusic

just like any punk band...he is a genius
...but he takes his talent to the stage...

That made me laugh so hard...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
if you want that old school british sound get a second hand jmp 2203/4
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by Tomusic

I'm actually a Green Day fan, but i can't believe you pointed out those two solos.
That's your definition of "amazing"? Really? Soloing in octaves like any begginer easily does?

Just out of curiosity, how would you define the solo at 2:30 in this song, then?

On topic: for what you want to play and with that kind of budget, and since you want a low-wattage amp, i'd spend more on the guitar and get a nice Gibson Les Paul (like a Traditional).
As far as the amp goes, i'd go for a tube combo like a Laney VC30 (or 15).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I guess we should clear up what the guitar and amp will be used for then. will you be gigging at all, or just playing at home? do you need to have good cleans too? any interest in stuff other than punk (I love punk, but it isn't really the most satisfying stuff to play)
i mean anything around 20-30 watts is big enough to gig with and jam with friends/play at hime. many amps these days have attentuators to lower wattage, which wont decrease volume THAT much, but it helps. really depends on how much money you want to spend on it.

if i were choosing it, i would go for 2 channels with atleast a decdnt clean and punkish distortion on board, 20-40 watts, 1x12 i suppose would be fine, your call (2x12 wouldnt hurt), attenuator (variable wattage).

personally, i dont mind combos, but if i were to buy an expensive amp early on when my tastes might change, i would opt for a head/cab so i could change my setup whereever i go or do. its easier to change heads/cabs than it is to get an entirely new expensive combo. plus, if you get a solid cab, then you just need another head to change amps.

so if your getting like a fender hot rod (solid amp but far from special) ok. if your getting a 1200 semi boutique combo....meh. i wouldnt mind getting the head version.

generally head/cab setups are slightly more expensive but generally yeild a better sound because aftrmarket quality cabs are built better and generally come with better speakers than stock combos - unless you get a really nice amp with celestion/WGS etc speakers stock.
Bias your spending toward the amp. $300 on the guitar. $1700 on an all-tube half-stack. You might be able to score a used Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack in great condition for $1700, but you'd probably have to look to find that kind of deal.

There will probably be a temptation to spend $1000 on the guitar and $1000 on the amp/cabinet. But $1000 on the amp/cabinet is probably not going to get you much better than a digital hybrid or an uneventful open-back combo amp. Don't settle for digital. Don't settle for solid state. Don't settle for digital/solid-date/tube hybrids. Don't settle for a combo amp. You want this: an all-tube amp with a separate, closed-back cabinet. The most typical closed-back cabinet setup is a "four by twelve", meaning four, twelve-inch speakers in the cabinet. You can get a 2x12, but it won't be as spatial as the 4x12. But either will be way better than settling for an open-back situation.

Preferably the amp will have channel-switching with a dedicated, factory-made foot controller to handle this. You want to be able to go from clean to drive with the footswitch. The Mesa Dual Rectifier has an amazing footswitch. Three channels, plus a solo/volume boost at any point in time.

I've seen Green Day use Strats/Marshalls. I've seen them use other stuff too.

Stack your poker chips on the amp. You can upgrade your guitar in the future, and in the meantime $300 can get you a plenty decent entry level guitar.

Try getting a $300 guitar off the rack at guitar center (preferably one with a humbucker in the bridge position). Plug it into the most expensive all-tube half stack they have in the store, dial the amp in, and play for 10 minutes. Then get a $3000 guitar off the rack and plug it into a $300 amp. You will see what I'm talking about.
Last edited by joesix at Jun 22, 2011,
Epiphone LP Custom w/vintage electronics and Seymour Duncans app $950
Bugera 6262 head/cabinet app $800
TOTAL $1750

still leaves you a couple hundred or so to look at pedals on ebay
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Epi LP or used Gibson LP/LP Jr, Marshall Class 5 combo and a pedal or two. If you don't want to buy separate pedals look into a multi FX like used Boss GT-8/ Digitech RP.
This will give you your sound, with tons of other FX at hand to experiment with. And you'll still have a few hundred left over. So take out your girlfriend so she don't get pissed that you spent $2000 on "stupid guitar stuff"!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tomusic
are you serious ?
I don't need a 100W amp for practicing in my room...more like a 18W> combo

PS
BJ pro solos (for the GD haters...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGW0Z-T1WKQ ( 2:43)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EohcNfPREU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jtGjiDwIQ(amazing at 1:47)

just like any punk band...he is a genius ...but he takes his talent to the stage...

I'm not pointing it out because of the wattage, there's this nice little object called an attenuator. It would give you the tone you want , just buy one and throw an attenuator on it and it will be quiet as you like. And I don't really think any of those solos are "pro". Try something like this . And don't not watch it because its long. Its simply pure genius from the best there is.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by madh4ttr
Epiphone LP Custom w/vintage electronics and Seymour Duncans app $950
Bugera 6262 head/cabinet app $800
TOTAL $1750

still leaves you a couple hundred or so to look at pedals on ebay

Going to have to agree with this guy here, except maybe a Vox AC30 instead.
Quote by Tomusic
are you serious ?
I don't need a 100W amp for practicing in my room...more like a 18W> combo

Yeah, you aren't going to get close to either of their tones at low volume.

Sex Pistols (Never Mind The Bollocks-era tone) = Les Paul (Preferably a double cutaway and slightly out of tune) + a Fender Twin Amp at full power

Green Day (Older Tone) = Strat + a Marshall JCM-style amp usually at full power.

Green Day (American Idiot and beyond) = Les Paul Junior + Marshall Plexi at about medium gain.

Good luck trying to replicate any of those tones at low volumes.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi