Page 1 of 2
I'm more heavy metaller but I do enjoy good old hard rock and heavy rock also.
Lets discuss about those 80's heavy and hard rock bands that kicked ass. I'll go ahead:

THE RODS - Ronnie James Dio's cousin David Feinstein's band. These guys played very ballsy hard rock with huge drumsound and crispy guitars. Riffs were stong but also very plain, perhaps little one-dimensional but very much in-your-face heavy rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hxjZTkN2A

WASP and Mötley Crüe- well almost anyone knows them so no introductions needed.
Dokken - Hard Rock/Hair Metal, Had one of the best vocalists and one of the best guitarists of the 80's
dude you should check out Extreme, their famous for their song 'more than words' but you should listen to songs like decadence dance. The guitarist Nuno Bettencourt is very underated and has sick skills
Omg this is my new favourite thread in history, Savatage and Dokken, Wasp and the crue, iam literally in heaven.

Anyways also La guns, cinderella, tesla, shotgun messiah (most underated band ever, second coming is fantastic), skid row, loudness, leaatherwolf, the mighty Poison, hardline, firehouse, the almighty, zodiac mindwarp and the love reaction, Y&T, XYZ and finally vicious rumors
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yeah Savatage and Vicious Rumors are great! Though I'd propably put them more on heavy metal than heavy rock / hard rock. But anyways, agreed! With Dokken I am not so familiar with, I've always skipped the name. Maybe I'll take better look on them.

German hard rock band Victory was pretty decent also, perhaps a bit mainstream but they have some good songs.
Last edited by dungeoncrawler at Jun 22, 2011,
Huge Vr fan, Victory is pretty cool but speaking of german 80's bands Running Wild, easily one of my all time favorites.

Check out Blue Murder, John Sykes after Whitesnake it's like a heavier Whitesnake.

Vow WoW is another great J metal band similar to loudness, been around a little while longer I believe Akira mentioned their guitarist as an influence once.

M.A.R.S. one album, Project Driver and it ****ing rocks a "super group" collab between Rob Rock, Tony MacAlpine, Tommy Aldridge, Rudy Sarzo

Crimson Glory
Check out Tony Martin era Black Sabbath
Keel
Malice
Pretty Maids

Pretty much all good stuff in this thread though W.A.S.P., Dokken, Savatage, Loudness, Firehouse. Can't go wrong all got my stamp of heavy approval
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
Quote by LightninStrikes
Huge Vr fan, Victory is pretty cool but speaking of german 80's bands Running Wild, easily one of my all time favorites.

Check out Blue Murder, John Sykes after Whitesnake it's like a heavier Whitesnake.

Vow WoW is another great J metal band similar to loudness, been around a little while longer I believe Akira mentioned their guitarist as an influence once.

M.A.R.S. one album, Project Driver and it ****ing rocks a "super group" collab between Rob Rock, Tony MacAlpine, Tommy Aldridge, Rudy Sarzo

Crimson Glory
Check out Tony Martin era Black Sabbath
Keel
Malice
Pretty Maids

Pretty much all good stuff in this thread though W.A.S.P., Dokken, Savatage, Loudness, Firehouse. Can't go wrong all got my stamp of heavy approval

Running Wild is propably THE all time favourite of mine also It's the band who actually got me listening (heavy metal) music, also first full discography I ever fully bought and owned was Running Wild
There were 4 guys from Pasadena that rocked slightly...Van Halen was the name of the band...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by dungeoncrawler
I'm more heavy metaller but I do enjoy good old hard rock and heavy rock also.
Lets discuss about those 80's heavy and hard rock bands that kicked ass. I'll go ahead:

THE RODS - Ronnie James Dio's cousin David Feinstein's band. These guys played very ballsy hard rock with huge drumsound and crispy guitars. Riffs were stong but also very plain, perhaps little one-dimensional but very much in-your-face heavy rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hxjZTkN2A

WASP and Mötley Crüe- well almost anyone knows them so no introductions needed.

The Rods were a great band and a nice bunch of guys. the first album is still my fav however the last one (with singer smalick avigal) was really good as well.

a few more bands for the list

Frank Soda and the Imps - canadian band with axe slinger frank soda. they tried to be more pop towards the end which kinda sucked but Live At The Tube is still a smokin album.

Gamma - Ronnie Montrose led band that had 3 decent albums

Immaculate Mary - Rochester NY based metal band that put out one album. tommy brunett was the guitar player and he was awesome.

Fastway - fast eddie clark from motorhead's more commercial hard rock band from the 80s.

Waysted - pete way from UFO with excellent guitarist paul kayfield.
Great thread. Im with jhy on Extreme. Check out Mr. Big ( Paul Gilbert on guitar and Billy Sheehan on bass). Queensryche rocks too!
That would have to be Van Halen. Especially their first three albums. It was amazing and Eruption--nothing more needs to be said.

ron666
guns n roses. nothing's more sleazy, angry, and intense all at once like appettite for destruction.
Last edited by lvd1 at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by lvd1
guns n roses. nothing's more sleazy, angry, and intense all at once like appettite for destruction.

I beg to differ. Only 4 words: Shout At The Devil.

With that being said, the mighty kings: Motley Crue! I just can't turn the volume up enough and it's frustratring. My CD player goes loud as hell but it's like 10 years old and kinda muddy, my laptop has mind blowing quality but is not as loud as I'd wnat it to be when listening to SATD or Dr. Feelgood... or Girls, Girls, Girls... or Theatre of Pain... or Too Fast For Love... aaah! Saints of Los Angeles, while released in 2008, kicks major ass as well. All hail the Crue in all its Motleyness!

Then there's Cinderella, with great blues rock influences which make their music even more rockin'. RATT, Tigertailz, Wrathchild (the british ones)...
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Dokken - Hard Rock/Hair Metal, Had one of the best vocalists and one of the best guitarists of the 80's

Like dude,i remember Dokken as well.

Queensryche,The Scorpions as well.

Geoff Tate has got pipes.
Van Halen, Motley Crue, Guns 'N Roses - surely! I would also add The Cult, massively underrated band.

But I personally can't stand the bulk of the ballad-driven, typically 80es hair bands.
Motley Crue and Guns n' Roses.

Love the Crue and their balls-to-the-wall mentality (back then anyway).
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
The Hangmen! Still making albums and still rocking hard!
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by 78SS
Hi guys, my first post.
Just wanted to let you know about this push push track you probably never heard, I just love the guitar work on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4ma12ert4
All the way from New Zealand.
Hair metal 4 ever

another hair metal fan from NZ! we are a rare species!

Sick song btw
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
guns n roses. motley crue. warrant. van halen. poison. whitesnake. twisted sister.....and the list goes on.
Quote by sock_demon
Whitesnake and Winger for me \m/

100% agree!
White Snake <3
If you love anime watch it on Watch Anime Online please! We have any anime you can think of lol.
Forsooth! This messagethread contain'eth precious jewels of musical knowledge!
This humble knight offer'eth a band of minstrels that never got their due: TT Quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyMiAnmapE

Ye vocalist from this fine band of troubadors now front'eth Teutonic Terrors Accept!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
I could say that here we are talking about the glam metal era Ac/DC and Zeppelin should be included as well and also we have to mention Black Sabbath and Queen (they are a little bit in the pop rock but anyway).
Vintage guitars are not only musical instruments but they are the spirit of music history. Find a lot types of vintage guitars here.
This may not be OT as it seems different from what most other people are posting but, dude, The Cult. Kickass english hard rock, they had a bit of proggy/psychadelic influence to but not too much. Check out the album Love.
Up The Boro!
Well, the most obvious example would be Guns N Roses. Some of their stuff was just awesome--November Rain, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child O Mine, etc. I could go on and on.

ron666
Add Tank, Victory, Adam Bomb, Great White, Fates Warning, Whitesnake to the list above and you've got it mostly covered.
Damn brilliant thread, will read again.

This has taken me back to my teens. I remember bands coming and going. I'm going to have to dig up my old Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazines.
Vicious Rumors oh jesus christ what a band. Their music was AMAZING it had everything, cool harmony solos, classic riffs and a ****ing amazing singer RIP Carl Albert.

I suggest that if you guys are all really into your 80's classic rock/metal you check these guys out.
Motley Crue & Whitesnake ruled. But no one has mentioned the sleaziest of them all. Faster Pussycat!!! Just a raw rocking band! Great guitar tones also. Didn't use alot of effects...just Marshall tone!
80's glamrocker & proud of it!
-Gear-
Ibanez - (2) RG560's, Ibanez X & RBM1
Ovation Acoustic/Electric Cutaway
Marshall AVT100 (practice amp)
Marshall Haze 40
Zakk Wylde Wah, EVH Phase90, Xotic BB Preamp, Black Label Chorus
Page 1 of 2