So, I recently acquired a used Mark IV from a friend that was selling his. Now, I've only had it for about a week and so I haven't really figured everything about the amp out but I'm getting the hang of using it. Now, I know it can get pretty heavy and that it is a very versatile amp but I went out and bought a Fulltone GT-500 (the red one) to use with it. It was kind of an impulse buy, for the Fulltone I mean, but I can always use it for my other amps that I can practice with as well.

Anyway, I will get to the point, does the Mark IV respond well to pedals? After buying the Fulltone and reading about it and more about the Mark IV I realized I might not have even needed this particular pedal but what about for other ones? Besides stuff like Reverb pedals, delay, etc does it even really need any? Boosting the distortion into some pretty heavy metal territory would be great. I don't need it going into crazy death metal territory but I would like to venture out into heavier metal if I want to. I listen to a lot of different music so I'm glad it can cover pretty much everything but REALLY heavy stuff.

By heavier stuff I mean bands like Nevermore, Persefone, Tyr, Death, Wintersun, Kamelot, Orphaned Land, and more. I like more than just metal though, I love all music.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
I honestly think you're going to have a problem NOT getting a good tone for the Eastern / folk / prog / death / power metal genres. Although achieving the exact tone MIGHT be a little tricky... but not something that can't be achieved without some time spent at the amp controls.

The Mark amps take to pedals like ducks to water. There is some use for ODs for the Mark amps, to colour and further sculpt your tones, but the Marks have more than enough gain for most applications.

You will definitely have difficulty getting that harsh, ear-grating solid-state sound for Death or for something as sterile as Dimebag's tone, but other genres of metal the Mark will handle like a star.

I've got a TimeFactor Delay, a Red Witch Chorus and a SubDecay phaser for my MkV... and it really expands the capabilities of the amp. I've also got 5 different ODs for different applications.

Personally, if you use reverb a lot... I'd look into a reverb pedal, I found the spring reverb a little subtle on my MkV.

Other than that, you have an excellent amp. Congratz + HNAD
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I honestly think you're going to have a problem NOT getting a good tone for the Eastern / folk / prog / death / power metal genres. Although achieving the exact tone MIGHT be a little tricky... but not something that can't be achieved without some time spent at the amp controls.

The Mark amps take to pedals like ducks to water. There is some use for ODs for the Mark amps, to colour and further sculpt your tones, but the Marks have more than enough gain for most applications.

You will definitely have difficulty getting that harsh, ear-grating solid-state sound for Death or for something as sterile as Dimebag's tone, but other genres of metal the Mark will handle like a star.

I've got a TimeFactor Delay, a Red Witch Chorus and a SubDecay phaser for my MkV... and it really expands the capabilities of the amp. I've also got 5 different ODs for different applications.

Personally, if you use reverb a lot... I'd look into a reverb pedal, I found the spring reverb a little subtle on my MkV.

Other than that, you have an excellent amp. Congratz + HNAD

Yeah it seems from what people say that it can most likely achieve those tones but then others say it can't get those tones as well. Heavier tones were most likely not easily achieved with OD or something according to some of those people.

Yeah, I've been reading that it takes to OD well so I'm going to be messing around with that soon.

Honestly I don't listen to Death metal that much except for Death haha. Other bands that have Death metal influences are a different story because I can usually enjoy those more than pure death metal bands. I prefer the black metal bands when it comes to extreme metal.

I've never heard of any of those pedals =O.

As for the reverb yeah I think I may get one because the reverb is a bit shallow or so it seems. What would you recommend? I was thinking of this one.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/boss/rv-5_digital_reverb/index.html

and perhaps getting a delay pedal like this one.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/boss/dd-7_digital_delay/index.html

Thanks for the reply.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
I'm really not a big fan of Boss pedals.

No budget?

Reverb:
Eventide Space
Dr Scientist Radical Red (mini) Reverberator
TC Electronics Hall of Fame
Strymon Blues Sky
Hardwire Reverb

Delay
Eventide TimeFactor
TC Electronics Flashback
Strymon Time Machine
Strymon Brigadier
Hardwire Delay Looper
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.