Hello im new to this site and as you can see from the title im a beginner is there any basics or tips a pro or any person that has played guitar long enough to give me tips on how to be faster and not hit other stings while playing, thanks so much.
Quote by Rudemetal
Hello im new to this site and as you can see from the title im a beginner is there any basics or tips a pro or any person that has played guitar long enough to give me tips on how to be faster and not hit other stings while playing, thanks so much.

practice with metronome, learn how to mute properly, an best of all get a teacher

if thats for some reason impossible try watching some lessons on youtube and reading lessons section here
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Practice ultra-slow, using a metronome. Slow down until you can get every single movement perfectly correct, without making a single mistake. This might well be 60bpm, but it's worth it. Once you can play something perfectly at 60bpm, keep practicing until you can play it perfectly ten times in a row without stopping or making a mistake. Once you've done that, move it up to 65bpm, lather, rinse, and repeat. The important part is being able to do it perfectly. If you're practicing sloppily, you'll learn to play sloppily, so you want to try and practice it as perfectly as possible
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
Practice ultra-slow, using a metronome. Slow down until you can get every single movement perfectly correct, without making a single mistake. This might well be 60bpm, but it's worth it. Once you can play something perfectly at 60bpm, keep practicing until you can play it perfectly ten times in a row without stopping or making a mistake. Once you've done that, move it up to 65bpm, lather, rinse, and repeat. The important part is being able to do it perfectly. If you're practicing sloppily, you'll learn to play sloppily, so you want to try and practice it as perfectly as possible

This is the bible. Good luck bro
Yeh and remember it takes time and not overnight so just be patient with it, talking years but the more you play the better you will get. Its just if you want to invest the time in playing, you will know soon enough anyway.
I admit I practice sloppily. But the guitarist in my band (I'm the drummer) has been playing for about as long as me, but he practises perfectly every time. The difference is astounding, he's light years ahead of me. It's a fantastic proof of the Perfect Practice Makes Perfect rule
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538

Thanks so much i will practice this technique everyday
It sounds like you really need to focus on just your pricking hand/arm. The trick is training yourself to have your pick stay in almost constant contact with the string. It's a matter of muscle memory and you have to practice.

On your high E string start picking back and forth at a slow speed. (forget about your left hand for now) Make sure just the tip/bottom forth of the pick is making contact with the string. Watch to see how far your pick goes when it leaves the string. You want that pick to barely leave that string for it to vibrate. Concentrate on that pick only moving back and forth a fraction of a millimeter. At this point it's kind of like in the Karate Kid. Wax on Wax off.

Once you can do that at a slow speed move on to a faster pace. You can do this while you watch TV or whatever. (Its a matter of your brain and picking arm getting this down.) If you want to play a few notes on that string to make it interesting that's fine.

I've found using a jazz pick is good for this exercise. It will help train you to position your finger on the pick and get you to understand you don't need all that extra plastic on standard picks. At some point once you do use a standard pick your thumb will go further up so you are only using the tip of the pick for fast single note picking. All that extra plastic is deadly for speed picking since it's extra surface that has to make contact and leave the string. Less contact equals more fast.

I forgot to mention earlier, for speed picking its important that the movement of the pick comes from your elbow and not the wrist. Watch some of those shredder guys their whole arm is moving and not just their hand. The side effect of this will be tennis elbow etc. if you become a speed demon. Once you can pick fast on one string you'll find playing scales etc. will be easier etc.

Once you have the muscle memory down (a week or 2) it will be like riding a bike and you won't have to do this boring exercise anymore. You'll have other things to worry about like scales etc.
Quote by electric hombre
It sounds like you really need to focus on just your pricking hand/arm.

I focus on my pricking hand all the time.
Quote by electric hombre

I forgot to mention earlier, for speed picking its important that the movement of the pick comes from your elbow and not the wrist. Watch some of those shredder guys their whole arm is moving and not just their hand. The side effect of this will be tennis elbow etc. if you become a speed demon. Once you can pick fast on one string you'll find playing scales etc. will be easier etc.

I am not questioning this, but as a drummer it is the exact opposite of what we do. Speed as a drummer comes from the smaller, more fast twitch, muscles in the wrists and fingers. I have been approaching the guitar in the same way. Maybe time to change my technique.
hes way wrong, you dont use your elbow for speed, sometimes it moves as a by-product but speed/tremelo picking is all about fast wrist, NOT YOUR ELBOW, he even says it will give you tennis elbow... just retarded, why would you do that then?
^this guys true, use your wrist NOT your elbow, its a really bad habit
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
Wrist or elbow, the important issue is getting that pick to stay close to the string you want and not waste time with wide picking. Dismiss the elbow part maybe I am a retard. I haven't focused on speedpicking since 1991 so maybe my memory is hazy on elbow vs. wrist.