How good do I need to be to get into a one year course at tech music school in london?

Give me a hint.
Ive got a mate whos doing a drumming course there. Hes average at best as far as im concerned so if your half decent you should be ok haha
What do I do at the audition? Improvisation? A prepared track? Theory? etc.

And how late can I apply for next year? :>
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That's the school I was thinking of going to

It depends on what course you're taking, check out their website.

I have. Either the dipoma or the higher diploma. But it's hard to tell how good you need to be, really. I have no idea.
There's a couple of guys in the bass forum who go there. Ask in the bass forum plan thread
Quote by Ahteh
I have. Either the dipoma or the higher diploma. But it's hard to tell how good you need to be, really. I have no idea.

Well you could call, mail, e-mail or visit them
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Well you could call, mail, e-mail or visit them

I'm swedish, so visiting is a hassle, but I guess I'll send them a mail then.

I realise it's a strange question to answer though.
Honestly, you don't have to be very exceptional. You just have to be competent.

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Honestly, you don't have to be very exceptional. You just have to be competent.

Thanks, but that doesn't really tell me anything. Try to put it in more literal terms.
Quote by Ahteh
Thanks, but that doesn't really tell me anything. Try to put it in more literal terms.

He means it's not exactly Julliard or Berklee

If you can play pretty well, you'll probably get in. I'd suggest you study hard anyways, you're not gonna get anywhere with music by just aiming for average

Good luck TS
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

If you can play pretty well, you'll probably get in. I'd suggest you study hard anyways, you're not gonna get anywhere with music by just aiming for average

Good luck TS

I'm not aiming for average, and I'm studying hard, I'm just wondering wether I should apply this year or take another year to practice.
E-mailed the school.

Worst case scenario I'll just lock myself in my room for the next 2-3 months and practice 16 hours a day until I'm Yngwie. That'll teach em.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Good luck TS

Pretty much what I meant.

There gets a point in the professional music world where certain things are considered "prerequisites", meaning that certain skills and abilities are not only expected but are generally givens at the highest levels.

I don't know what specific school you are applying for but I would suggest studying up on your theory and reading/sight reading skills. I have found that those skills are what most players that I know lack.

Hope this helps a little better.

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Pretty much what I meant.

There gets a point in the professional music world where certain things are considered "prerequisites", meaning that certain skills and abilities are not only expected but are generally givens at the highest levels.

I don't know what specific school you are applying for but I would suggest studying up on your theory and reading/sight reading skills. I have found that those skills are what most players that I know lack.

Hope this helps a little better.

I'm applying to the school in the title, Tech Music School in London

But yeah, thanks, that helped. The audition does actually include a sigh reading test, so I'm getting onto that (altough I'm pretty good at it already after having played the piano for so long).
Do you think I should aim to learn stuff like sweep picking and legato before auditioning?
You're as good as you are, so just audtition and see how it goes.
I auditioned for a music course one (which I got into but ended up not taking) and people were having panic attacks outside about what they'd be made do.
Seriously, one guy was freaking out about having to clap back a rhythm
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Domino
You're as good as you are, so just audtition and see how it goes.
I auditioned for a music course one (which I got into but ended up not taking) and people were having panic attacks outside about what they'd be made do.
Seriously, one guy was freaking out about having to clap back a rhythm

Uhm well, I made this thread for two reasons:

1. If I do audition it'll be in like 2 months, so I still have time to pick stuff up.

2. Application cost + travelling to London is quite expensive. I'd rather not spend the money if my chances of getting in are close to none.
Their website says you should be at Grade 8 performance and Grade 6 reading.

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Their website says you should be at Grade 8 performance and Grade 6 reading.

Where?

EDIT: Found it. That's four the full three year course though, which I'm not aiming for.
Last edited by Ahteh at Jun 23, 2011,