If i'm playing a fast line of semi-quavers.
Is it best to accent the ones on the beat with a down stroke.

so...

down up down up... etc.

Because if theres a pull-off or hammer-on in the pattern then I would miss an up stroke and carry on:

down - down up. etc. or ----> down - up down.

and then the second beat would start on up.

--------

and if i sweep pick a little, I might go.

down down down up. up up down down. up down up down....

So does it matter where i'm putting the down strokes, because they will accent certain beats?
yes it does mater where you put downstrokes
in alt picking, it is usually that the downstroke is A: accented and B: on the beat
so
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
d u d u d u d u
Work towards making all your pick-strokes equal.

Accent certain beats within the context of whatever music you happen to be playing, regardless of down stroke, upstroke, backstroke...
Learn to do both. What if you want to accent the first note of triplets?
DOWN up down UP down up DOWN up down UP ...

Or for a more mexican/spanish style:
DOWN up DOWN up DOWN up down UP down UP down UP down up (repeat)

Also, sometimes with hammer-ons or pulloffs (or rhythm with a rest) it is easier to do a "lift" to keep your down/up/down/up rhythm going. So:
down (upstroke during rest or pulloff) down up
^ What he said. It is important to gain total control over your picking technique. Adding in little accents can really make a somewhat standard guitar riff shine.
Yeah
Quote by ZeroGlass
Work towards making all your pick-strokes equal.

Accent certain beats within the context of whatever music you happen to be playing, regardless of down stroke, upstroke, backstroke...

This.

If you want to practice accenting with an up stroke, try playing a 3 note per string scale run in triplets, you'll have to accent the first note on every other string with an up stroke.
Agreed, practice the accents. It'll help when you play sextuplets or 13 notes in a row...
Also, it'll help you lock in the with the drums to provide emphasis during certain parts of the song, should you need it.
I was told for triplets you should play.

Down up down. down up down. down up down. etc....

Also, if you have a series of notes on different strings during a run. Is it best to sweep pick or alternate pick. As sweeping would be easier but would throw the down up pattern off.
Last edited by Lum at Jun 23, 2011,