Well, i have finally reached that elusive tone I had in my head and was chasing for years. Guys..today I am the proud owner of a vintage 1976 hiwatt custom 100 amplifier. As used by David Gilmour and many others. It's a bit rough tolex-wise, but the tone needs to be heard to be believed. Clips are coming soon if I can bring myself to stop playing long enough to record. The clean channel is pure liquid gold, and it takes pedals better than any amp i have ever owned. This thing gets loud, and i mean LOUD. However, it still sounds great at bedroom volumes also, which I absolutely love (and so does my wife). Here's a few quick pictures:

The formal review: the clean channel is the kind of clean that I have always heard in my head but have never been able to really get out of an amp. This amp with the right pedals can reach just about any kind of tone from jazz to heavy metal, but every great tone starts with a great clean, and this amp has that in spades. I've owned over 20 amps throughout the years, but this one is the finest. If you guys ever get the chance to grab one of these for less than their usual selling price, do as I did and break out the wallet. You won't be sorry.
Last edited by slowhand84 at Jun 22, 2011,
gutshots now.

congrats, that's sweet.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
gutshots now.

congrats, that's sweet.

Thanks! I had it pulled apart for me before I bought it to make sure everything was perfect and it was, but I didn't take any photos. And I'm not doing it again myself because I don't wanna mess with this baby any more than I have to. But it looks exactly like the beautiful clean gut shots you find on the web for this amp. The Hiwatt folk REALLY knew what they were doin' in there.
I have never heard of a bad hiwatt... is there one out there?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album

Waitin' on dem clippiez

PS: Nice flip flop
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Waitin' on dem clippiez

PS: Nice flip flop

Gotta break 'em out once June hits!
no worries. that thing has some sweet mojo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I have never heard of a bad hiwatt... is there one out there?

yes, depending on how you look at it really.

there are a bunch of cheap, out-sourced hiwatts that are pretty crap if you compare them to the hand-wired, english-made stuff, but given the difference in price that's not really a fair comparison.

HNAD, and damn you for overshadowing my "vintage amp that dave gilmour used" NAD that i'm probably not even gonna bother posting now
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stykerwolf
hiwatt is the shit. Slam that bright channel with a fuzz face, some reverb, maybe delay and bam, david gilmour would be jelous

Honestly, I can't imagine this amp needing a reverb pedal. It almost sounds like you've got reverb on naturally, because the clean tone is just so rich and full. I don't have a fuzz pedal (never liked them), but I might just have to grab an EHX or something for fun. They're cheap enough.

Quote by Blompcube
yes, depending on how you look at it really.

there are a bunch of cheap, out-sourced hiwatts that are pretty crap if you compare them to the hand-wired, english-made stuff, but given the difference in price that's not really a fair comparison.

HNAD, and damn you for overshadowing my "vintage amp that dave gilmour used" NAD that i'm probably not even gonna bother posting now

Yep, there's nothing like the original hand-wired British goodness. And sorry about that, sir! I'll be sure to post something positive in your thread though
For all our pedal experts, I have a question...I am always used to running my time-based effects into the loop of the amp, and this amp doesn't have a loop. So, where in the effects chain does the delay, etc go if it needs to be in front of the amp?

For instance, I have a tuner, wah, phaser, overdrive, distortion, delay, EQ, compressor, etc. What's the proper order if they're all going to be in front of the amp?
Normally the chain goes wah/dirt/modulation/delay/reverb. With your pedals I'd go for this order:

Tuner > compressor > wah > EQ > distortion > overdrive > delay

But experiment and see what sounds best
Very nice. Hard to beat a real Hiwatt.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cool man!

HNAD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by stykerwolf
real men use effects before their amps input.
Also, you have to try a fuzz face with that amp, theres a reason why gilmour, and eric johnson use that duo

That doesn't answer my question of which order to put them in .

And yep, that's what I keep hearing. I guess I gotta buy myself an EHX big muff or something and have at it.
I owned one for years and it is the only piece of kit I don't own anymore that I truly miss. Those things are amazing. HNAD! Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Big muffs sound nothing like a fuzz face. Try both to be sure what you really want. I prefer muff for gilmour.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
nooice.

the pre 80s are the best.

if you open it up you can see who did most of the actual wiring.

i hope it's joyce.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I should have checked about the wiring, but if I ever need to get the amp serviced ill check. All I know is it sounds amazing and I love it. Those among us who have found 'their tone' know exactly how I feel right now.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Dude, I am so jealous. I've been on a huge Pink Floyd trip too lately. DAT TONE.

HNAD! Don't forget to eat and stuff
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X