My wife and I are driving down to San Francisco for the 4th of July weekend and are looking for some stuff to do!

Money is KIND of an issue... so nothing expensive ideally.

All we have planned so far is driving along SR 1 to get there/back, and something to do with Alcatraz.

My God, it's full of stars!
Don't go to the Wax museum. Its shit.

EDIT: Tandem bike across the golden gate bridge?
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Last edited by Domino at Jun 22, 2011,
Go to seal island.

If there's no seals, well then - no island... But go anyway

Try and get into the Mythbusters set and then try to take Jamie's beret, as he refuses you should storm out shouting "MOVIE-STARS!".
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
If you're into science stuff the Exploratorium is awesome (maybe a bit kid oriented though).
Quote by samick007
If you're into science stuff the Exploratorium is awesome (maybe a bit kid oriented though).

What kinda stuff does it have? We both like sciencey stuff
Quote by Dreadnought
"Seal island"?

It's an island off the coast of South Africa where everyone who makes a nature documentary goes to film great white sharks preying on seals. Trust me, I watch a lot of nature documentaries.
Quote by Domino
Don't go to the Wax museum. Its shit.

EDIT: Tandem bike across the golden gate bridge?

I think seeing Paris Hilton crying is hilarious.
Quote by Dreadnought
What kinda stuff does it have? We both like sciencey stuff

It's a giant interactive science museum. The last time I was there they had a device that allowed you to see the vibrations in a guitar string, and a pair of disc shaped chairs that allowed you to have a whisper conversation with someone across the room. There's a ton of exhibits though and they're changing all the time.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/
Fishermans Wharf is by far the nicest place to just go for a wander.

I went to the exploratorium and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm going to try find some photos from the wax museum.. we spent most of the time there trying to figure out who people were, definitely didnt have the joy of seeing Paris Hilton cry
~Domino?

Musics
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's an island off the coast of South Africa where everyone who makes a nature documentary goes to film great white sharks preying on seals. Trust me, I watch a lot of nature documentaries.

It's that and an actual island in San Francisco where seals take over like a barge for a part of summer or something. It's a random bit of knowledge i have of SF
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I talked to my wife about it and we definitely want to go to the Exploratorium... fo SHO.

The Wax Museum doesn't sound very interesting haha. Is Fisherman's Wharf a boardwalk kind of thing, with restaurants and stores and whatnot?
Quote by Dreadnought
I talked to my wife about it and we definitely want to go to the Exploratorium... fo SHO.

The Wax Museum doesn't sound very interesting haha. Is Fisherman's Wharf a boardwalk kind of thing, with restaurants and stores and whatnot?

Pfft, fun things never end in torium or -eum, they end in -rama, or -teria!
Quote by Anthony1991
It's that and an actual island in San Francisco where seals take over like a barge for a part of summer or something. It's a random bit of knowledge i have of SF

Yeah, but my thing is much cooler because sharks.
Quote by Dreadnought

Pretty much. I think it includes that whole seaside area. If you wander around enough, you'll see the wax museum, the seals and alcatraz from a distance... that's pretty much everything that's been mentioned

I spent a few months there a couple of years ago.
If you want to get into the aquarium for free.. just walk in through the gift shop
We cycled across the bridge and there's a better view of it from the other side. Downside was our asses hurt after. There's a cable car tour that goes to the other side too, and goes to Mrs. Doubtfire's house (and other significant landmarks). All the very touristy things are around the same area
~Domino?

Musics
Quote by CoreysMonster
Pfft, fun things never end in torium or -eum, they end in -rama, or -teria!

Quote by RU Experienced?
Yeah, but my thing is much cooler because sharks.

Haha so cool that you don't need to be a good at grammar?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Wherever you go, be sure to wear flowers in your hair
DeVillains!
Quote by Anthony1991

He doesn't need to be "a good" at grammar because sharks.
Quote by Anthony1991
No, I don't feel the need to be a good at grammar.

Edit^: Ah, thank you citizen.
Head across the bridge to the Marin Headlands. Nice beaches, good hikes, and the Marine Mammal Center. They are hosting an event called washed ashore.
It features sculptures of ocean life made out of trash found on beaches.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by trueamerican
He doesn't need to be "a good" at grammar because sharks.

That did me lol, nice
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
The best pizza I've ever had in my life was in San Francisco (and keep in mind I've been in Italy the past 2 weeks). It was some place at that really popular pier, there. A lot of tourists go to it.
The Exploratorium is free on the first wednesday of every month, as are most museums. It's near the Palace of Fine Arts which is very pretty. You can see a bunch of stanky ass sea lions at Pier 39. There is also an aquarium there. The Asian Art museum is near the Main Library near the mayor's office. on Van Ness. There's also an opera house/symphony hall and some other theaters in the area.

Those are all more touristy things, though. Going up Twin Peaks is really fun, same with walking around Fort Funston/Batter Davis near the coast. One of the best beaches is China Beach near Sea Cliff which virtually no one goes to. It's kinda like a cove. The Sutro Baths are probably still closed off, but no one pays attention if you hike down there. It's a pile of ruins but there are some pretty cool caves.

Going to a show at the Fillmore would also be cool. It's on Geary and right near Japan Town (which is also super awesome). If you're looking for cheap stuff go to China Town. It's packed but pretty exciting.

Fisherman's Wharf is horribly packed all the time. You'd have to go there to catch a ferry to Alcatraz or Treasure Island (which is nice for camping, it's very remote). There are a lot of restaurants, yeah. That's where Pier 39 is (the hub of the area). The only saving grace for the wharf is In-N-Out (right next to Hooters -______-). Coit Tower, Dolores Park, the Haight, Golden Gate Park (awesomely huge playground, hippies to attack, museums, the Japanese tea garden, buffalo and shit).

For restaurants outside of the piers, Taqueria El Castillito on Church and Duboce across from Safeway, Yellow Submarine on 6th and Irving, EFNY Pizza on Haight (there's a dim sum place around the corner). House of Nanking is probably the best Chinese food in the city on Kearny and Jackson, Picadilly fish and chips on Polk and Pine. There are hundreds of places though those are my favorite.

I guess the Metreon/Yerba Buena downtown is kinda cool to walk around. I'd take the Presidio over that (there's a pet cemetary there).

edit: I could go on forever. There is a lot of shit to do/see/eat/mock in my homeland.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jun 22, 2011,
Do not, under any circumstances, start a war with them!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by samick007

This is a good idea. Some stuff is definitely for kids, but some other things are definite real life mind****s.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by Dreadnought
Awesome, lots of good info, thanks

No problem. I just noticed you mentioned the 4th. There is an amazing fireworks display at the pier every year. Other than that, fireworks and firecrackers are illegal in the city. Not that anyone pays attention to that since you could just go to China Town or the Mission to get some.