Like the title implies, my amp gives me really bad feedback when it's at a enough level on one of the distorted amp settings. This basically becomes a problem during band practices and at shows. I play in a metalcore band, so it's essential that I have a nice, heavy and distorted sound, but the feedback is obviously annoying. I play a 30w Peavey Vypyr. Another thing I'd love advice on is how to get the best sounding metal sound out of my amp with good lows. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions on the feedback/sound, I'd love a comment from you. I'll admit that I'm definitely a newbie, so bear with me. Thanks, guys.
I think what you need is an equalizer. An EQ can take out feedback and enhance the lows. Id go for a 30 band EQ. There are two frequencies where feedback occurs so just turn down the EQ all the way and individually turn up each frequency range until you find the two that feedback then put the rest up and keep the two baddies low enough so they dont feedback. Easy. You can get a used 30 band EQ for like 50 bucks.
Last edited by daneboyzzz at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by conor-figgy
Roll back your guitar's volume to minimise some feedback and use a noise suppressor.

I think rolling the volume back would remove gain... therefore wouldnt be as distorted sounding
Great suggestions, and don't stand too close to your amp!

Feedback is sometimes caused by the sound coming our of your amp vibrating the strings which the pickups send back to the amp, causing an infinite loop...

Sometimes the best rigs can be haunted by feedback, so by taking steps to reduce it, you can get a get overall sound!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by daneboyzzz
I think rolling the volume back would remove gain... therefore wouldnt be as distorted sounding

You only need to roll it back a small amount, about 1/5th.
a 30 band eq? thats a bit of overkill for this issue i think.

my opinion:
pick up a used
isp decimator or boss ns-2
and if you want to shape your sound get a used mxr 10 band eq.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
a 30 band eq? thats a bit of overkill for this issue i think.

I guess :P and agreed about the volume knob^^^
You may just be pushing that little vypyr to hard...30 Watts isnt a lot of power for a digital amp like yours
Do you have the amp dimed? The guitars volume control may help too, as stated above.
Quote by daneboyzzz

When you have a really high power amp that has gain to spare, using your guitar volume is must, IMO, it results in a much tighter sound.

I dont think TS has enough power to spare if he plays in a metalcore band, so this may not really apply to him to much...
Last edited by mcamp1230 at Jun 22, 2011,
Thanks for all the input, everyone! Right now, I'm definitely considering picking up one of the used eqs that were recommended.