I want to take my guitar with me on my summer vacation. I have a soft case for it. Could i take the soft case as luggage on the plane or would i have to pay extra. Or could i take it as luggage in the plane. COuld any one please answer or tel there exprieriances with this thank you.
Quote by chudy
I want to take my guitar with me on my summer vacation.

Don't.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Im goin away for about 3 months to my family. Not to a hotel or anything
never never send a guitar on a plane in a soft case, you'll end up with kindling. I am leary of puting a guitar on a plane in anything less than an ATA flight case. You will not be aloud to bring it as a carry on, you'll have to check your bag.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by chudy

They likely won't let you. You might start playing inappropriate songs like stairway to heaven or something by explosions in the sky.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Some airlines allow you to take them as a carry on, but even then, in a soft case, someone else's luggage is gonna f*ck it. I've checked my acoustic in one of those cardboard type cases several times without incident, but I stuffed the case with a jacket and stuff for padding. Plus it was a $20 guitar, so I don't really care that much if it breaks.

Sounds like a bad idea though.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I was even thinking about putting the guitar in a backpack and letting the neck stick out idk if it would pass though?
I think you'll get a lot of trouble with customs. Plus, the atmosphere inside an airplane can be a real ***** for your guitar.
Yeah
Quote by chudy
I was even thinking about putting the guitar in a backpack and letting the neck stick out idk if it would pass though?

99.9% chance you will not beable to bring it as carry on, call the airline and ask. Butu last time I flew your carry-on was only alowd to be about the size of a back pack.

Just use your imagination and play AIR guitar!!
Just kidding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You are allowed to bring 1 piece of baggage into the cabin. Maximum weight is 8 kg. The maximum size is set to 23x40x55 cm, though the sum of these three measurements may not exceed 115 cm. does a soft case fit this?
No
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You could smuggle the guitar by shoving it up your anal cavity, using your own body as the container.
Just so you guys know, you ARE allowed to bring a guitar in a soft-shell case as a carry on. I've flown many different airlines, and have brought a guitar along with me (cheap guitar I use for travel, not one of my main axes) on just about every one. Yes, you can fit them in the overhead compartments AND get them through customs. The only disadvantage is that you have to worry about some idiot smashing the shit out of your axe when they put their suitcase in there with it, and you will just generally look like an asshole carrying the guitar everywhere you go with you, but you can bring it with you if you wanted to (I just proved wrong just about every person who has posted in this thread so far in just one paragraph).

But I do STRONGLY advise that if it is a very expensive guitar, or your favorite that you really don't want damaged, that you get a hardshell case that's TSA approved and check it at the check-in desk up front. Much safer and easier. That, or just get a cheap guitar for travel.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Just so you guys know, you ARE allowed to bring a guitar in a soft-shell case as a carry on. I've flown many different airlines, and have brought a guitar along with me (cheap guitar I use for travel, not one of my main axes) on just about every one. Yes, you can fit them in the overhead compartments AND get them through customs. The only disadvantage is that you have to worry about some idiot smashing the shit out of your axe when they put their suitcase in there with it, and you will just generally look like an asshole carrying the guitar everywhere you go with you, but you can bring it with you if you wanted to (I just proved wrong just about every person who has posted in this thread so far in just one paragraph).

But I do STRONGLY advise that if it is a very expensive guitar, or your favorite that you really don't want damaged, that you get a hardshell case that's TSA approved and check it at the check-in desk up front. Much safer and easier. That, or just get a cheap guitar for travel.

+1

Yes you can bring your guitar up onto a plane with you. However, make sure that it is insured first.

When you check in, do not be taken in when they claim you have to cargo it. Insist it must be brought on. For example Singapore Airlines will let you bring it on, no questions asked. Malaysia Airline won't even bother to ask you to cargo it. British Airways will try their level best to get you to cargo it, but if you insist, they can't force you. Virgin will try to con you into cargoing it, just ask them "I don't have insurance, are you going to personally take responsibility for my guitar if it gets damaged?".

Also, when you get on the plane, if you have an electric, just ask the stewardess to slot the guitar where people hang their jackets. It quite a bit safer than slotting it in the overhead compartment.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Check with the airline. Check a few times on different days to be sure their story stays straight (if you ring one day and they say it's cool, and then another day and they say it's not cool, be wary). Check their policy online. Print it out.

Some airlines may only allow it in the cabin if you buy a ticket for it.
im just thinking of putting it in my bag and leting a litle bit of the neck stick out i know its not safe but i wil make sure no one gets near it i will cal and ask the policy although i wil be flying eather contintental or sas
i have taken my guitar in a soft case on board about 4-6 times without problems except for the ****ers smacking the guitar around the X-ray machine. [Egypt Air, Emirates airlines and PIA]
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Well...

In summer 2009, I bought a guitar in the USA [Guitar Centre] and was in this dilemma.
Virgin Atlantic allowed me to take with me as part of my hand luggage.

Tips for a soft case that I used
- Wrap your guitar in bubble wrap, then put it in the soft case
- TAKE IT AS HAND LUGGAGE!!! Otherwise, get a hard case and ship or get a flight case and write "HANDLE WITH CARE" 1000X on it and put it in the place.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
My friend sat across from John Petrucci on a flight from the US to Canada and he just put his Ernie Ball up in the bin above the seats. If Petrucci can do it, SO CAN YOU! (inspirational music in background)

But honestly just call the airline and ask if you can take it as a carry-on. If not, buy a hardshell case that's not gonna break. I'd recommend an ATA Flightcase or an SKB Flightcase. Here's what I have, works for Teles, Strats, and PRS Custom shapes: http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=590&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75
Also usually you can't put the guitar in the overhead compartment... especially in economy. What you can do is make sure you tag your name and information on it securely and ask the attendants to place it behind the very last row of seats in your given section. There's always room there.
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Since you're visiting family and going to be there for a while, another low-stress option might be to leave your nice guitar at home, and buy a cheap used one off craigslist or something to play while you're down there. When it's time to come home, you could either leave it down there for next time you visit, donate it to a younger relative to learn on, or get your relatives down there to flip it on craigslist again and send you the money.
yeah why note ....soft cases are really good i have take my luggage like giutar ,drumms in that.
Necropost...
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi