Hey i just wanna know if i wanna play stuff with a lower tuning such as Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy and so on could i just as well buy a seven string guitar without detuning it instead of a 6 string guitar and detune it or is there any drawbacks or upsides to it?
IF you play in a different tuning ALL the time... then theoretically you aren't detuning anything
Well, seeing as Arch Enemy, for instance, usually plays in C Standard tuning, a 7-string would be somewhat problematic. They're tuned to B standard usually, so to be able to play C Standard you'd actually have to tune the guitar up a halfstep.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
i actually got a seven string for this reason, i very much recommend it.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Quote by ssjmitch
i actually got a seven string for this reason, i very much recommend it.

troll?
Quote by Zeletros
troll?

no, i was referring to amon amarth.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Buy a 7 and a capo, put capo on first fret. There, now you have an extended range guitar in C standard. Or you could just play it on a seven, some songs might be problematic, but there's not really a crazy amount of chugging going on in Arch Enemy anyways.
Quote by Nugma
Buy a 7 and a capo, put capo on first fret. There, now you have an extended range guitar in C standard. Or you could just play it on a seven, some songs might be problematic, but there's not really a crazy amount of chugging going on in Arch Enemy anyways.

This. This so hard. I use a seven string when I want to play stuff in B, C, and C# standard, which frees up my other guitars for other stuff, like Drop D, Eb standard, and whatnot. Honestly, I cannot think of a reason not to just get a seven and capo it.
Why would it be a problem to tune a 7 string up a half step? Other than having the extra string to work around.
.... Or you could tune the 7 like a normal 6 string and drop the b string accordingly. Seriously, what's with all this 7 string ignorance here? It's not like having the seventh string stops you from down-tuning. My 7 is actually in drop C right now(well, actually Cmaj tuning, but same thing) with a low G on the B string.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?