So I just finished putting my Peavey Windsor back together after some mods, and now you can hear it in the comfort of your own home! It's on the Youtube.

Plexi-esque glory!

The playing in that demo is incredibly, painfully sloppy, and the video and audio aren't sync'd, but listen to that tone. Listen to it.

Tech-wise, a stock Peavey Windsor is basically a Marshall JCM800 with redundant parts, except the second half of V2 is used as a gain stage, instead of a cathode follower. I corrected that, then bypassed one gain stage, making it more similar to a 1959. I've also pulled a pair of output tubes, cutting it to 50w. That didn't change the volume much, but it seemed to open up the amp's frequency response. I think that's because the output transformer isn't being pushed as hard? Maybe? Cathbard knows, I'm sure.

Listen to it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Personally, I'd want to hear before and after sound clips of the same amp. I'm sure it's just my crappy computer speakers, but, to me, it didn't sound any different than any amp in my arsenal with the settings tweaked a little. Again, it may sound completely different in-person. When it comes right down to it, the only thing that matters is that you're happy with it and like the new tone. Congrats!!!
I meant to do before and after, but when I thought of that I had already started.
The main difference between the Windsor now and before is that when I started, it was clean from 0-1 gain, then distorted like crazy, and even clean it was very compressed. Now it'll go to 3 or 4 before it even starts breaking up, and the distortion is pretty subtle until it reaches 5.
I do like it though! Next step: I'm going to try it with KT66s and KT77s and see if either one sounds better than EL34s.

Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jun 23, 2011,
I loooove KT77s. I use them in one of my amps that's also been modded to be a bit more marshally.
Good to hear! I figured I'd like them, because I like the whole "wide frequency range" thing, but I want to give KT66s a chance too.

Don't suppose you've tried 6CA7s? Should they be on the list?

Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jun 23, 2011,
Yep. Bias requirements are the same, you just have to make sure that the plate voltage is less than 500 or so.

Sounds like your guitar is taking a dump on your speakers, its a popular tone for people who either hate or are incapable of playing metal. hah hah douche