Hey folks. To start with, I'm right handed.
I've been doing a few things recently that demand the use of my critically weaker left hand, as opposed to my dominant right hand. I'm fine when leading with my right hand for rolls and such, or just playing snare rhythms with my left hand as normal, but when I try to focus on my left hand, it jsut isn't cutting the mustard.

Is there anything you could suggest to help improve my left hand technique, or strength, or whatever?

While we're here, lets try to keep the discussion open to the lefties as well, so if you can suggest them any advice, go ahead xD
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
I'm naturally right handed but I play open-handed, so I play with my left hand on the hi-hat and ride that I have on the left side of my kit (also have an HH + ride on the right side), and I much prefer it to cross-handed playing, would never go back.

Anyway, the answer to your question is... play leading with your left hand.

Any right handed exercise that you know, flip it over and lead with your left hand instead. Would recommend still using the right foot at the same time, as this, while tricky, is essentially what you will be doing when playing a closed hi-hat. Play single strokes leading with your left hand very slowly (8th notes at 100-120 bpm) for long periods of time, like 5-10 minutes, to build muscle memory, and then gradually increase the tempo over a few days. Try adding in your right foot on every quarter note, also.

If you have an interest in developing this sort of playing further, then some open handed drummers to check out would be Billy Cobham, Lenny White Bobby Jarzombek, Carter Beauford, Dom Famularo, Gary Chester, Simon Philips, Travis Orbin, Gene Hoglan, and Alex Rudinger.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 22, 2011,
Switch fapping hands. It helps out a lot.
I'm joking, but seriously... Many people's right arms are much larger than the left because of fapping. I know this because of perso... Erm... I mean... Google.
..I was watching my death.
This might be just me...but I purposely keep my left hand a little "weaker" than my right. Often times I'll start a fill using my left, and it always sounds quite a bit different than starting the same fill with my right (dominant) because of that. I kinda like that ability, so while I do work on the left hand at times, I am sure not to bring it up to par with my right. But that's just me...
You're honestly just going to have to focus on leading with your left. I would recommend doing rudiments on a snare pad (paradiddles help a lot with this) since you can go at your own speed while working on the control aspect of the weaker hand. When playing on your set, play a basic beat with quarter notes on the high hat with your left hand, and 2&4 on snare with your right (since it's most likely opposite of what you normally play), adding in different bass drum rhythms. Start slower and gain speed, and you'll eventually be able to play most patterns ambidextrously.

A way I got my left hand as fast (and even faster with blast beats) my right hand was playing traditional grip. You may want to try that. There are some VERY helpful youtube videos if you haven't worked with that grip before.

Also, assuming your just beginning playing, make sure you're playing and holding the sticks correctly. You want to make sure you're using the right muscles (wrist vs. forearm vs. fingers) or it'll be harder to get your left hand where it needs to be.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Jun 23, 2011,
Steve08, this open handed business sounds incredibly interesting. It's not quite what I meant, but I shall look into it nonetheless

Well, it looks like I'll just have to brute force my way through left-hand rudiments, then Thanks, guys

Edit: Hold on a tick. Having gone straight to practicing left handed stuff, it's immediately clear that I can't do stuff as well as my right hand, mainly because I can't seem to use my fingers as much, whereas on my right hand, they take up half of the work. Any tips on getting my fingers moving, or just slow practice? Sorry about this
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Last edited by HeretiK538 at Jun 23, 2011,
If you just mean leading fills and stuff with your left hand, then yeah, just work a lot on your rudiments. Even something as simple as going LRLRLRLR at a moderate tempo for a while will be useful.

For using your fingers, it's basically just a matter of figuring out how to do the motion with your right hand, and then with that knowledge, figure out how to do it on your left. Make sure your grip on each stick is exactly the same, and make sure both motions are identical.

Basically, what it should be is that as you move your stick down, physics will bring the stick closer to your fingers (as opposed to resting against your palm in the normal position) and then you snap the fingers up and make the stroke with both fingers and wrists.
This is probably one of the hardest things to get as I drummer. Keeping the sticks identical will help, as Steve just said. I also heard that doing everyday things, like cleaning your teeth, with your left/non dominate hand can help develop some of the muscles. I haven't tried it for very long, but I assume it'll help, along with the other things suggested.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Going along with what Skinny91 just said, switch the mouse around on your computer. Just switch sides so it is used with your left hand. This, over time, can help your finger speed, as well as many other things you do daily.

If you don't already, play guitar. This critically strengthens your left hand fingers. There are many useful uses out of playing more than one instrument.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
poopkid13, I am not rearranging my desk for the world, so like hell I'm moving my mouse But I shall try and move some daily activities to my left hand just in case it helps. Again, looks like I'll just have to knuckle down and get practicing

Edit: Oh yeah, and I play guitar, and vaguely piano and can sing. Multi-instrumentalists get all the chicks
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
One of the most useful things I taught myself as a drummer, which I continue to keep up to par every other month or so, is re-organizing my kit so it plays left-handed. Not only do you increase dexterity and independent-ness of each limb, you're also increasing your strength and versatility.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
There's a book I've been working on m'self by Charley Wilcoxon, "The All American Drummer." Pretty good book, it has 150 rudimental solos, which incorporate pretty much all the rudiments, and they're specific on which hand to lead with. Just short 36-48 bar solos for the snare, but really forces the rudiments on you, and forces both hands to take the lead at times.
After watching Jojo Mayers DVD, there is a section where he is talking about how the wrist motion is very similar to throwing and catching a ball, so if I'm every bored/want to play drums I just throw a tennis ball at my wall using only my left hand for 5 or 10 minutes to develop some of the muscles/warm up. No idea if it will work, but in theory it should
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp