ENGL Fireball 100
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-fireball-100-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head/502255000001000

Bugera Tri Rec
http://www.bugera-amps.com/en/products/TRIREC-INFINIUM.aspx

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/hughes-kettner-switchblade-100-guitar-amp-head

Marshall JVM 210H
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-jvm-series-jvm210h-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head

I'm looking for an amp head that can very much do metal but also has some versatility to it (or at least good cleans, I like them jazzy and "poppy").

I've done some brief searching today and these 4 amps seem very killer in most respects. Does anybody have any experience with these and can perhaps enlighten my further?

Which one is the "better" one of the bunch and what reasons do you have for saying so?

These amps sound like (at least to my ears for the most part) something of an upgrade from my slightly more primal sounding Bugera.

So essentially, thoughts on these amps?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
The H&K Switchblade is basically a much better version of the Tube Vypyr and Tube Spider in that it's a tube amp, but more digital components than your home computer. Definitely versatile, but might give a purist an aneurysm.

The Bugera, well, /shrug. Some people swear by Bugeras, other people damn them. The TriRec is based on, what, a Mesa Triple Rectifier? That's not really what comes to mind when I think "versatile."

The Marshall JVMs are probably among the better amps Marshall makes these days, if not a tad bit overpriced in the United States. I'm not sure how a 210H will do for metal, usually I see metalheads with the 410H for moar gainz. Of cours that's like another thousand dollars.

As for the Engl, I've never heard much negativity about Engl amps but I've never gotten to try one. They're known for their high gain applications and for quality, but I can't tell you much more than that.
well the trirec isnt out til november, so we have no idea on that part. the engl would definitely have a different voicing from the 6262 but im not sure how jazzy and poppy the cleans are, or how versatile it is outside of metal. the marshall will get as heavy as megadeth and would SEEM the most versatile, dont completely take my word for that though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Seref
The H&K Switchblade is basically a much better version of the Tube Vypyr and Tube Spider in that it's a tube amp, but more digital components than your home computer. Definitely versatile, but might give a purist an aneurysm.

The Bugera, well, /shrug. Some people swear by Bugeras, other people damn them. The TriRec is based on, what, a Mesa Triple Rectifier? That's not really what comes to mind when I think "versatile."

The Marshall JVMs are probably among the better amps Marshall makes these days, if not a tad bit overpriced in the United States. I'm not sure how a 210H will do for metal, usually I see metalheads with the 410H for moar gainz. Of cours that's like another thousand dollars.

As for the Engl, I've never heard much negativity about Engl amps but I've never gotten to try one. They're known for their high gain applications and for quality, but I can't tell you much more than that.

What I do know is that the Switchblade does sound pretty nice to my ears. I realize that it's a modeling amp but I could care less because sound is sound regardless of whether it comes from tubes, transistors, or from somewhere in my anal cavity lol.

I just stumbled upon these vids of the Tri Rec (which iirc is modeled after the dual rec, not the tri rec, go figure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4rNe1y3hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IS_nyjOMEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-iYS_xgcFM&feature=related

I particularly LOVE most ENGL's I've seen or even have had the pleasure to try. However, the one I've haven't tried or heard to much until recently is the Fireball.

As for the Marshall, I know that Matt Heafy of Trivium did (perhaps still does) in fact use one but with a boost. Everything about it seems very cool to me other than the amount of gain on tap, which I'm still unsure about assuming we're talking about w/o boost.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
triviums tone imo is way too gainey some times (pretty much all of ascendancy) dont get me wrong, i love their music. i think for ascendancy he used a peavey 6505/XXX and i think from then for the crusade they used JVMs/the axe FX. and i honeslty have no idea what hes running right now.

but theyve always been using marshal cabs, as far as im aware
Regarding the Tri-Rec:

"This product is currently not available for sale in the United States and Canada pending verification of compliance with applicable technical standards and regulations."
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Seanthesheep
triviums tone imo is way too gainey some times (pretty much all of ascendancy) dont get me wrong, i love their music. i think for ascendancy he used a peavey 6505/XXX and i think from then for the crusade they used JVMs/the axe FX. and i honeslty have no idea what hes running right now.

but theyve always been using marshal cabs, as far as im aware

I DON'T really admire the Trivium tone from Ascendancy lol.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Regarding the Tri-Rec:

"This product is currently not available for sale in the United States and Canada pending verification of compliance with applicable technical standards and regulations."

Well like I tried to say before, I figured there were at least a few vids out of some Tri Rec demos that can show off what it does.

Obviously that means nobody has experience with it yet but I can at least get thoughts on if I should really try to wait for it or not.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I DON'T really admire the Trivium tone from Ascendancy lol.

Well like I tried to say before, I figured there were at least a few vids out of some Tri Rec demos that can show off what it does.

Obviously that means nobody has experience with it yet but I can at least get thoughts on if I should really try to wait for it or not.

I honestly doubt we will ever see it in the U.S./Canada. Randall Smith runs a pretty tight ship in terms of patents and so I imagine this amp will never pass in North America. The amp was released 1.5 years ago if I'm not mistaken, and there has been no update in terms of North American release since that time.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I honestly doubt we will ever see it in the U.S./Canada. Randall Smith runs a pretty tight ship in terms of patents and so I imagine this amp will never pass in North America. The amp was released 1.5 years ago if I'm not mistaken, and there has been no update in terms of North American release since that time.

Bugera reps have all been saying the Tri Rec and Magician are slated for a November release iirc.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Previous Bugera Amp models with new Infinium technology will be out in September,The Tri-Rec and Magician will be out in November according to their posts on Facebook and YouTube.
Any more thoughts? I'd still like some additional input, unreleased Bugera aside.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
ttt
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
You know bumping a thread this much is against the rules right?

If I remember correctly, you once posted a CRAPLOAD of which amp threads not that long ago.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you are a very indecisive person when it comes to picking an amp.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You know bumping a thread this much is against the rules right?

If I remember correctly, you once posted a CRAPLOAD of which amp threads not that long ago.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you are a very indecisive person when it comes to picking an amp.

I bumped this thread once by my count...

And yeah there was a time where I was seeking out information, not really looking to buy but looking to expand my knowledge a little.

I'm going out and saying I have money in my wallet right now and have money to burn.

It's not like I was going out and making the same thread every single time.

I try not to look at myself as someone who is indecisive in buying amps, just someone who likes to know EXACTLY what's out there and know as much info as possible before buying. These kinds of responses make me feel like it's a damn sin to ask for information. Like that's NOT what these kinds of forums are for.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I bumped this thread once by my count...

And yeah there was a time where I was seeking out information, not really looking to buy but looking to expand my knowledge a little.

I'm going out and saying I have money in my wallet right now and have money to burn.

It's not like I was going out and making the same thread every single time.

I try not to look at myself as someone who is indecisive in buying amps, just someone who likes to know EXACTLY what's out there and know as much info as possible before buying. These kinds of responses make me feel like it's a damn sin to ask for information. Like that's NOT what these kinds of forums are for.

My point was that you posted "ttt" after 28 minutes of no responses in the GG&A forum. I understand the wanting to understand exactly what's out there, but honestly, that's impossible without playing the amp itself. Besides, you are asking about an amp that no one has, or played, or even seen for that matter. Also, If you've been doing this so much, I'm surprised you haven't asked about the Fireball or the JVM yet, since they are so popular.

The switchblade is kinda a thing of it's own. Not really known for crushing metal tones, but it can do them. Like, I think you know well enough what the JVM will get you. And the Fireball will get you Djent and some decent *core tones. I have a feeling though that 1 amp isn't going to fix your problem, and you will likely end up like Eric with a Diezel, a Wizard, an ENGL, and a Cameron lol.
I've tried the Fireball and spoke to MC about it.

Basically its not exactly versatile... its a metal amp through and through with an excellent clean channel. It goes from 0 - 40mph... then from 40 - 320mph. You've got your clean channel that sounds pretty sparkling (not pristine). Then from there, it goes balls to the wall metal, there no jazz, blues or rock tones in-between. If you only need cleans and metal, go for it.

If you want more versatility from ENGL, check out these, although you'll have to be prepared for a higher budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-savage-120w-guitar-amp-head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-powerball-ii-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head

I just wonder, if you're in that range, why not a used Mk III or MkIV?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I own the JVM210 head, and I absolutely love it. I've had it for a bout two years now I think. It's got a great clean tone to it, with tons of headroom and is very smooth. That's one of the things that impressed me most about it was the clean tone. Moving from there it has a few stages of great overdrive, just enough crunch to get you the bite you want for mellow leads and some nice rhythm sounds. My main use of the head is actually in a metalcore/post-hardcore band though. I'm not all about fizzy gain though, and this is why I love the JVM. I mainly use the 'orange' setting on the second channel, and that's just the right mix of gain for crushing metal tone, but not so much gain that it sounds like shit. Brutal but not Pootal.

It's a versatile amp I don't really have any complaints about it at all. It does weigh a ton, but I'm also not a big guy. It's got a programmable footswitch that runs from a guitar cable (super convenient) and has plenty of speaker out options.

I'm currently running it through a Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12 cab, and an Orange PPC212 closed back cab, and TIS HEAVENLY YAH.

Sorry if that was a huge love rant on the JVM, but I really do enjoy it that much. I'm always excited to play out with it and turn it up.
Quote by ragingkitty
I've tried the Fireball and spoke to MC about it.

Basically its not exactly versatile... its a metal amp through and through with an excellent clean channel. It goes from 0 - 40mph... then from 40 - 320mph. You've got your clean channel that sounds pretty sparkling (not pristine). Then from there, it goes balls to the wall metal, there no jazz, blues or rock tones in-between. If you only need cleans and metal, go for it.

If you want more versatility from ENGL, check out these, although you'll have to be prepared for a higher budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-savage-120w-guitar-amp-head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-powerball-ii-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head

I just wonder, if you're in that range, why not a used Mk III or MkIV?

I have the Fireball 60 and this is pretty much true. The cleans will never win any awards but they're certainly better than a 'get-you-by' clean. It's high gain sound to me though is one of the best around, and for the price I think you'd struggle to beat it. These, however, are it's only 2 real sounds. But that's my opinion.
However for the same price and the Fireball 100 you can get a Engl Blackmore which is much more versatile so I think it's definitely worth checking out. A truly fantastic amp.