How are you going to deal with Santa Claus with your kids later on in life? Are you gonna let them belive in him until they find out for themselves or are you going to tell them the truth?

I'm gonna tell them how it is.

Here are some articles.
Article #1
Article #2
Article #3

If you already have kids, how did you deal with this?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Jun 22, 2011,
Definitely tell them.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
I never believed in santa and I would assume that my kid is smart enough to figure it out too. I would not propagate the lie.
I would avoid the topic altogether. The presents will serve as my distraction.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Tell him them he doesn't exist, assuming my wife hasn't killed my children.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Let em believe for a while.

I cried when I found out Santa wasn't real. And then whenever my sisters found out too.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by metal4eva_22
I never believed in santa and I would assume that my kid is smart enough to figure it out too. I would not propagate the lie.

And that. Something is wrong if anyone can't tell that Santa is physically impossible.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
You shouldn't have to create fictional characters to make your children to act nice in order to receive presents.
BLANKBLANK
I thought Santa was fun when I was a kid, those articles in the OP are really overreacting.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
You shouldn't have to create fictional characters to make your children to act nice in order to receive presents.

so tell them that Christopher Lee delivers Christmas presents? that's so much better than Santa!

EDIT: actually, it wouldn't be Christopher Lee who delivers the presents, it would be Ian McKellen, cause Ian Mckellen is Gandalf, Gandalf is Odin, and Odin is Santa Claus.

also, kind of relevant, one time i asked Cleverbot if it believes in Santa. the response:

Quote by Cleverbot
Santa Clause eats elves and reindeer. Thus, I have no desire to believe in him.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'd tell them, I'd also tell them about Vunter Slauche

+1
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
I'll let them figure it out, or I'll tell them in highschool when they complain about the bigger kids making fun of them.
I knew Santa was bullshit a while before my mom told me. Even though I was lied to for eight years, it's still a really fun thing. I wouldn't want my kids to miss out on the betrayal.
I'll pretend I have no idea what they're talking about and dismiss the notion as preposterous when they come home from school asking me why all their classmates were talking about Santa.
They find out anyway. I never believed in santa, and I won't make my kids do that either.

I found a lot of fun in "disproving" that the guy in the santa costume were santa. He usually sounded undoubtly like my older brother or my dad. Always!

We have far different traditions though. "Santa" shows up on Christmas eve with a lot of presents, in addition to those already under the Christmas tree. We open our presents at the 24th.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by Carpet_Man
And that. Something is wrong if anyone can't tell that Santa is physically impossible.

You do realize that little kids aren't the most logical thinking people in the world. They enjoy using their imagination. When I have kids I'm going to let them believe in Santa until they grow out of it or figure it out on their own. I feel like there is no harm in a kid believing in Santa.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I think it would be cruel to deprive a child of the magical experience of waking up on christmas morning to a full stocking with the things you wanted. It makes you feel special.
\/\/\/\/ well said.
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

Last edited by Retro_jetro at Jun 22, 2011,
Its still a magic time for kids, when they're about 3/4/5 years old, perhaps even older. My parents told me aged 7, but I had already sort of guessed anyway. My point is, that I remember how much fun it was, at that age.

I will definately tell my kids (if i have any) that there is a Santa. I remember the excitement and joy of Christmas as a kid, and they're some of my best memories, so why would I take that away from my kid? I don't resent my parents for lying to me at all, and if you are, then you really need to chill out a little.

I disagree massively with the articles, and are written by adults, who have forgotton, in this modern times, a lot of simple childhood joys, IMO. The story of Santa is not only tradition, but it holds a lot of value today, about giving and generosity, which is where the original story came from. Its also nowhere near as damaging as the Star Wars examples, or 3 Little Pigs, and a totally natural part of childhood, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll tell them in good time, that the idea of Santa isn't completely true, but I want them to enjoy the excitement of waking up on Christmas morning, and "magically" having presents, and seeing others with the presents they sent.

Its a great feeling as a kid, to know that the drawing, or small gift that YOU paid for, with your pocket money/allowance, found its way to the recipient, after an "epic journey to the North Pole". IMO, thats the proper meaning of Christmas and the articles suggest that we focus more on the receving of presents, than the giving, which is more selfish than anything I can think of.

Flame me all you like, with polically correct arguments , but my opinion is my opinion.

TL; DR...I think its a good idea to tell kids about Santa, and let them experience a real childhood joy, and tell them when the time is right, but explain the traditional reasoning behind the present giving.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Neither is Slash

Well I knew Slash was fake, but Santa? My parents are a bunch of ****ing liars!

/teenangst
pinga
Well, Christmas stopped being fun once I stopped believing in Santa Claus. And I'm pro-fun.

Plus, realizing that Santa Claus isn't real is a valuable lesson in how disappointing life is.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jun 22, 2011,
Its part of growing up and being a kid i wouldnt take that from my kids. And if you all think back when you were young and believed you had fun with the cookies milk and waiting up to see him. So i would let them believe its not going to hurt them.
I will devote my life to creating absolute belief in them that santa is real and then laugh at them when they break down in tears when i tell them the truth at their wedding
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I'd pretend he's real, stuff like that is fun for kids. Eventually they'll be smart enough to figure out he isn't real. I'll tell them Slash is make belive though.
Sure, why not, after all we are celebrating the day God's son was born, right, so why not include a little more magic that gives them some fun?
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I think I'd perpetuate the lie. Tbh western kids are lucky to get such a jovial and fun Christmas myth. Kids in other countries aren't so lucky.

For example, instead of Santa, Austrian kids get this fucker!
Last edited by PeZ546 at Jun 22, 2011,
If I have children, I'm telling them that he isn't real. We can still have great Christmas times and not have to honestly believe in Santa. I never did and I had fun. I didn't appreciate everyone lying about it though.
I think Stud_Muffin summed it up best tbh.

I'm gunna let my kids work it out on their own, I can't remember exactly how old I was when I worked it out, but I'm yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy believing in Santa, and yeah I wanna see that joy on my kid's face when they open a present that they wanted, why take that away from them?
Quote by Hp312
I'm gunna let my kids work it out on their own, I can't remember exactly how old I was when I worked it out, but I'm yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy believing in Santa, and yeah I wanna see that joy on my kid's face when they open a present that they wanted, why take that away from them?

You can still do that without enforcing the belief. Just because you tell them Santa isn't real doesn't mean they don't get presents or close family time or the idea or sharing and love. They'll just know that all of that love and giving is coming from a caring family, not a mythical creature.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by D&DLover
You can still do that without enforcing the believe. Just because you tell them Santa isn't real doesn't mean they don't get presents or close family time or the idea or sharing and love. They'll just know that all of that love and giving is coming from a caring family, not a mythical creature.

Oh no man I get what you mean, and obviously that'll come with age, but like most people said, believing in Santa did them no wrong, I'ma let them enjoy it while they believe in it, not be like *Rips santa beard off dude at a shopping center* IT'S ALL A LIE! and make sure they don't believe in it.
I fully agree with Stud Muffin, I figured out on my own when I was like 7-8 that Santa wasn't real, and at that point I had the maturity to be able to understand what the holiday was really about and be able to respect it. The concept of Santa is a wonderful way to create a special magic for the holiday season which, unfortunately, so many of us forget about once we've grown past that stage. I look forward to when I have kids someday and can recreate that special feeling of the holidays with them
NOPE
It's a Christmas tradition. Of course I'll let my kids believe in Santa. Until a certain point or when they figure it out for themselves, whichever comes first.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
I would probably tell my kid Santa is not real but the spirit of christmas is etc. etc. etc. Sidenote I remember though when I figured it out in 2nd grade I told my little bro in kindergarten who told his whole class. There were A LOT of pissed of parents calling our house.
Santa was fun, If I ever have kids I'll let them believe for a while, but not when they're like 10.

Hell, I know of some people who let their kids believe when they were 13 goddamn years old. That shit is not happening.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
As long back as I can remember I haven't belived in Santa, but I still had a great time at Christmas Eve (I'm atheist too, always has been). The mood, the presents, the food, "Donald Duck's Christmas" on television, the people, everything like that made Christmas awesome for me, not Santa Claus or Jesus.
Quote by Kill A Kitten