John Petrucci's Rock Discipline
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Paul gilbert is an amazing instructor he teaches very well...especially alt picking thats his thing. Look up paul gilbert videos he has lots of instructional material on youtube.

i use his stuff all the time.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Paul gilbert is an amazing instructor he teaches very well...especially alt picking thats his thing. Look up paul gilbert videos he has lots of instructional material on youtube.

i use his stuff all the time.

+1 His video on alternate picking is great.
GEAR

Fender Telecaster Standard
Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
without a doubt for alternate picking and picking techniques, Speed Kills 1, 2, and 3 by Michael Angelo Batio
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I honestly gotta disagree with MAB's videos. The way he holds his pick makes me shudder and his technique, regardless of if it's caused him injury or not, will certainly cause injury to someone trying to emulate his approach. He picks with his forearm and elbow, IIRC, which is a tense and uncomfortable way to play. His exercises aren't any different than Petrucci's or Gilbert's or Minette's. Paul Gilbert is a much better teacher than any of the other guys mentioned so far, including Petrucci, and his technique is a lot safer to try to emulate without an instructor.
Im curious on this subject also,I suck at sweep picking and id like to learn how to do it
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Check some of the lessons on here. I recall learning to do sweeping pretty much by reading what you're supposed to do, finding a tough sweeping passage, and learning it. I think I kind of jumped to gun and just learned the solo in Selkies by BTBAM for my first sweeping song. If you're interested, take a look at some lessons and videos and give it a shot. Just remember to go slowly and to play cleanly and without tension.