Hey guys,

anyone here do p90x? I just started it yesterday, and oh my god it was hell. Couldn't do the complete 100% number of reps for day 1 and ab ripper X tore me a new one. Anyway, day 2 is here and I'm about to start plyometrics. Also, if anyone is almost done or finished the program, what did you guys use for motivation? I have a goal for myself and I hope to meet it by next summer. It mainly involves landing a certain job.

I kinda wanted to start this thread to see the opinions of other people on this program or who have finished this program. Thanks for you help guys!
Current Gear:

Schecter Synyster Custom: White/Gold
Ibanez AX125
Art and Lutherie Acoustic
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Spider II 15w
Crate Bass Amp
VOX DA5

Boss MT-2
Exercise thread.

lol scratch that, too lazy to look for the new one.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421271
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Last edited by :Vicious-- at Jun 22, 2011,
I did it in my gym class in school, it's pretty easy to get motivated if you're doing it with other people. The first few weeks (well, the whole program) is hell but it gets good results if you stick to it.
Oh dude, I did it for about two phases, and let me tell you. Great ****ing workout. I quit because, well, I'm lazy. The one thing I absolutely hated was Yoga X. 90 minutes kinda wore me down, so I switched it out for X Stretch, which in my opinion, was just as good. But if you want to get the kind of results that are shown, make sure to follow the diet plan. It'll make all the difference. Good Luck!
If you do anything for 90 days you will see results.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Yeah, I did it for about 60 days. I stopped because I got a job that was physically demanding and didn't want to be sore for it. I didn't get ripped because I still ate like crap. But, my endurance went up a ton. I remember I thought I was in shape, and couldn't do any of those exercises all of the way through, but then by the end of it I thought they were easy...EXCEPT YOGA X. Screw Yoga X!!! It was 90 mins of boring. 60 mins is ok like the other vids, but that one can suck it.

IMO, P90X doesn't really make you much "stronger", because its high rep low weight, but it makes you look better and have more endurance. Like, my bench is the same since doing P90X.

Its a lifestyle though, not a workout really. An hour a day is a big commitment IMO.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
I've got a better method to get in shape.

I put a treadmill in front of my Xbox. Walked 70 miles by the time I was half way done with Mass Effect.
I thought this was related to guitar pickups...
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Depending on what you want to do, p90x isn't a bad way to go. Then again, there are much more entertaining ways to get 90 minutes worth of exercise.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by CrunchyRoll
If you do anything for 90 days you will see results.

+1

I don't see what the big appeal is with P90x; it's the same as every other "revolutionary new exercise program".

If you're dedicated and stick to ANY exercise program for 90 days, you'll see results. Period.

My $0.02.
Quote by Seref

I put a treadmill in front of my Xbox. Walked 70 miles by the time I was half way done with Mass Effect.

I set up my PS3 in front of my stand trainer. I sit there and ride my bike for hours while doing endurance races in GT5.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Seref

If you really did this then that's awesome
Quote by CoreysMonster
If you really did this then that's awesome

I got the idea from Burnie at RoosterTeeth (the guys that make Red vs. Blue). He did it and lost like 50 pounds in no time

**** Wii Fit, this is where it's at.

The only downside is that I can't count the number of times I've fallen and ate shit because I mis-stepped.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 22, 2011,
I torrented it last year, but then I realized I didn't feel like doing it.

But I just started to change my lifestyle last week, June 9th to be exact, and in a few months I'll look great. Just eat better, do a jog every other day, work out every other day. Simple.

I mean, it's not that hard to commit an hour to working out, and 20 minutes or so for running, a day.
Ok thanks for the input guys, man I think i may have to reconsider this cause during Plyo today I had to take a break like after every other minute for like 30-60 seconds. Is this normal on the first week, or is this too intense for me?
Current Gear:

Ibanez AX125
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Spider II 15w
Crate Bass Amp
VOX DA5

Boss MT-2
Quote by Seref

I'm doing this.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by bassplayer8
Ok thanks for the input guys, man I think i may have to reconsider this cause during Plyo today I had to take a break like after every other minute for like 30-60 seconds. Is this normal on the first week, or is this too intense for me?

You're a pussy. Back to the shakeweights for you!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I did it for 15 minutes and my asthma started acting up. >.> Gym class never did that too me.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
I would still go to the gym and lift weights if you want to gain muscle mass, but P90X is great for definition. I tried doing the abs workout but then I said screw that
Bigger and better things out there. P90X is flawed. Same old crap as always, just brand new marketing gimmicks.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
You already have to be in pretty good shape for P90x
you're a stone fox
Quote by dann_blood
Bigger and better things out there. P90X is flawed. Same old crap as always, just brand new marketing gimmicks.

How so? If there are any alternatives, I'd like to check em out.
Current Gear:

Ibanez AX125
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Spider II 15w
Crate Bass Amp
VOX DA5

Boss MT-2
Quote by bassplayer8
How so? If there are any alternatives, I'd like to check em out.

The diet is flawed. Changing it up every 4 weeks doesn't do anything, and seeing as it increases carbs you'll get hungrier (insulin spikes) and be more tempted to break your diet. That isn't to say a calorie reduced diet is wrong, but the structure of the diet is wrong.

Half the workouts suck. Some of the ideas there are ok, and the strength circuit idea is good, but it tries too much to stay "fresh" and target as many muscle groups as possible, with next to no focus on legs. There's no guideline for progression of weights - most people plateau because they don't have the faintest idea of what they're doing. There's also no proper explanation of form, which leads to 1) unconscious cheating on the exercises and 2) greater chance of injury. Combined with some exercises that are more injury-prone, it's not a good mix. Probably the only good strength program is chest/back. Plyometrics is good, so is ab ripper x, yoga x too to an extent, but that's about it.

It depends on what your goals are. Go to the health and fitness thread, check the first post, do a bit of research. Other than that, feel free to ask questions there.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
The diet is flawed. Changing it up every 4 weeks doesn't do anything, and seeing as it increases carbs you'll get hungrier (insulin spikes) and be more tempted to break your diet. That isn't to say a calorie reduced diet is wrong, but the structure of the diet is wrong.

Half the workouts suck. Some of the ideas there are ok, and the strength circuit idea is good, but it tries too much to stay "fresh" and target as many muscle groups as possible, with next to no focus on legs. There's no guideline for progression of weights - most people plateau because they don't have the faintest idea of what they're doing. There's also no proper explanation of form, which leads to 1) unconscious cheating on the exercises and 2) greater chance of injury. Combined with some exercises that are more injury-prone, it's not a good mix. Probably the only good strength program is chest/back. Plyometrics is good, so is ab ripper x, yoga x too to an extent, but that's about it.

It depends on what your goals are. Go to the health and fitness thread, check the first post, do a bit of research. Other than that, feel free to ask questions there.

these are all good points but having done p90x myself all I can say is that it is great as a gateway drug for pursuing better forms of training. Not only can it be a great confidence booster to diligently complete the 90 days but you'll be so keen to keep making progress that you'll pursue other (better) training options. Like the starting strength program which I just know dann was thinking about typing his post

so basically while I agree that p90x isn't exactly the greatest training program in the world its still not a bad place to start.
Quote by Diamond Dave
these are all good points but having done p90x myself all I can say is that it is great as a gateway drug for pursuing better forms of training. Not only can it be a great confidence booster to diligently complete the 90 days but you'll be so keen to keep making progress that you'll pursue other (better) training options. Like the starting strength program which I just know dann was thinking about typing his post

so basically while I agree that p90x isn't exactly the greatest training program in the world its still not a bad place to start.

I've done it too. I wish I had my 90 days back I think most people choose to do p90x because they know it from advertising and word of mouth. Most people just need a good starting point - Starting Strength, imo, is a better gateway drug than p90x by a long shot.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood
I've done it too. I wish I had my 90 days back I think most people choose to do p90x because they know it from advertising and word of mouth. Most people just need a good starting point - Starting Strength, imo, is a better gateway drug than p90x by a long shot.

two ways of looking at it though, Starting Strength is hands down a better program but on an accessibility scale it's way harder for a complete gym noob to go and work out all by themselves.

as good as the squat, deadlift, etc explanations are on the SS wiki it still took a whole lot of effort to get the required form down for everything and its something I bet 90% of beginners wouldn't be able to do successfully. (oh the rare few who do actually squat at all even fewer actually do it properly).

I consider myself a pretty determined person and it still took the help of p90x and a few other factors to turn on my "I need to do this" switch. Once you get that done the sky is the limit but if you don't really kick yourself in the arse hard and early anything you start doing is likely to fail.
Quote by duggyrocks

Quote by Diamond Dave
two ways of looking at it though, Starting Strength is hands down a better program but on an accessibility scale it's way harder for a complete gym noob to go and work out all by themselves.

In the words of Mark Rippetoe:

"This is just being a pussy".

as good as the squat, deadlift, etc explanations are on the SS wiki it still took a whole lot of effort to get the required form down for everything and its something I bet 90% of beginners wouldn't be able to do successfully. (oh the rare few who do actually squat at all even fewer actually do it properly).

I dunno. Even when I was doing p90x I was concerned about my form, and pissed there wasn't any real explanation for alot of the exercises. I think it's better to get over that learning curve of getting the form down on those exercises than starting those exercises later and being disappointed.

I consider myself a pretty determined person and it still took the help of p90x and a few other factors to turn on my "I need to do this" switch. Once you get that done the sky is the limit but if you don't really kick yourself in the arse hard and early anything you start doing is likely to fail.

I dunno. I started p90x because I was just looking for something, I wish i'd have known it existed earlier and had someone kick my arse into gear. P90x isn't exactly easy either, SS is a breeze compared to that.
Quote by Vornik
P90x is for pussies. With starting strength I made like 8-9 kg in two months with no diet and poor sleep.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by dann_blood
In the words of Mark Rippetoe:

"This is just being a pussy".

exactly, that's exactly what it is and so many people out there are being pussies in the gym and that's the whole point.

the problem is nobody knows about the words of Mark Rippetoe. The only reason I found out is because halfway through p90x I decided I wanted to do something better and googled the hell out of everything and eventually found it.
Quote by Diamond Dave
exactly, that's exactly what it is and so many people out there are being pussies in the gym and that's the whole point.

the problem is nobody knows about the words of Mark Rippetoe. The only reason I found out is because halfway through p90x I decided I wanted to do something better and googled the hell out of everything and eventually found it.

Wouldn't it be better to get them on SS sooner then?
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood
Wouldn't it be better to get them on SS sooner then?

well yeah, I just don't think SS is necessarily the perfect option for everybody that's all. P90X has its flaws but I don't regret doing it
Quote by Diamond Dave
well yeah, I just don't think SS is necessarily the perfect option for everybody that's all. P90X has its flaws but I don't regret doing it

Well ya, obviously it's not going to suit everyone, but it's just one of plenty of beginners programs. There's stuff like Crossfit, 5x5, etc.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Seref

Quote by jmonko

I set up my PS3 in front of my stand trainer. I sit there and ride my bike for hours while doing endurance races in GT5.

These men are geniuses!!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by dann_blood
Well ya, obviously it's not going to suit everyone, but it's just one of plenty of beginners programs. There's stuff like Crossfit, 5x5, etc.

Since when is 5x5 a starter program. Starter's should do high reps low intensity.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
OK thanks for the great input guys, and I'm now kinda on the fence for p90x for now. Thing is it's almost impossible for me to follow the diet cause of the fact I go to boarding school, so I end up eating whats served there. My my main goal at this point is to lose weight. So is there a program that really targets weight loss better than p90x? Thanks again guys, you have been super helpful!
Current Gear:

Ibanez AX125
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Spider II 15w
Crate Bass Amp
VOX DA5

Boss MT-2