right ive got a maximum of £650 to spend on a second hand
valve head and i need to the best metal/hardcore
tone i can get .. what is the best amp i can go for in this
price range models/makes would be a great help
everyone's gonna say Peavey 6505/5150 or a Bugera. Be a bit different and get a Laney GH50/100l or a VH100r - epic amps and are more than capable of 'core tones.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
everyone's gonna say Peavey 6505/5150 or a Bugera. Be a bit different and get a Laney GH50/100l or a VH100r - epic amps and are more than capable of 'core tones.

Because the Peavey 5150 is ALMOST a standard for any metalcore band out there.

5150/Boogie OS 4x12 cab. Done deal. Quick and easy and incredible tone.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Because the Peavey 5150 is ALMOST a standard for any metalcore band out there.

5150/Boogie OS 4x12 cab. Done deal. Quick and easy and incredible tone.

Not a done deal in £ with TS's budget. Be lucky to find a Mesa cab in his budget.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Not a done deal in £ with TS's budget. Be lucky to find a Mesa cab in his budget.

I meant the 5150. I didn't suggest him to buy the cab. He only wants a head. Read the OP please.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Peavey 5150. Should have some change left over too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Crate Blackheart BH100H? I'm not sure how great it is for metal, but it fits your budget.

EDIT: Wait, valves aren't the same things as tubes, right? Disregard this post.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Saint78
Crate Blackheart BH100H? I'm not sure how great it is for metal, but it fits your budget.

EDIT: Wait, valves aren't the same things as tubes, right? Disregard this post.

Valves and tubes certainly are the same. I dont know what amp to suggest but im sick of every band playing either a 6505 or a mesa dual rec. Most tube amps with a boost will give metal tone.
-ltd mh-350fr
-ltd ec-401
-Ibanez RGA42FM
-peavey valveking 112
-line 6 spider iii 30 watt
-pedalz
Quote by clevelandcavs22
Valves and tubes certainly are the same. I dont know what amp to suggest but im sick of every band playing either a 6505 or a mesa dual rec. Most tube amps with a boost will give metal tone.

Oh, sweet, that means I will be able to get new tubes (or valves, I like knowing this) when the time comes.
you're a stone fox
Quote by clevelandcavs22

There's a reason every band uses them.

Nevertheless, some alternatives I've seen live that actually sound good: Peavey Ultra, Peavey XXX.

Quote by Saint78
Oh, sweet, that means I will be able to get new tubes (or valves, I like knowing this) when the time comes.

What amp do you have that is in question?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
There's a reason every band uses them.

Nevertheless, some alternatives I've seen live that actually sound good: Peavey Ultra, Peavey XXX.

What amp do you have that is in question?

Actually Im getting it tomorrow, Epiphone Valve Jr. Stack, I'm not looking at tubes right now, but I like knowing for future reference.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Actually Im getting it tomorrow, Epiphone Valve Jr. Stack, I'm not looking at tubes right now, but I like knowing for future reference.

Yeah, it has a single preamp tube (12AX7) and a single power amp tube (EL84). You're lucky, that's only like a $20 tube swap. My 5150 costs like $85 for a full tube swap

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, it has a single preamp tube (12AX7) and a single power amp tube (EL84). You're lucky, that's only like a $20 tube swap. My 5150 costs like $85 for a full tube swap

But your amp probably sounds better

EDIT: Is it possible to upgrade tubes?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78

Yep, it's actually easier than changing a lightbulb. They're just plugged into their sockets, so they pull right out.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Saint78

Sort of. Certain brands of tubes sound better for certain applications. But when it comes to that, you can make a thread about it, and people much more knowledgeable than I will help you out with that.

OT: Maybe a Peavey 3120, maybe a Marshall DSL/TSL.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
peavey and laney (models as already mentioned), maybe engl if they come in under budget used?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Sort of. Certain brands of tubes sound better for certain applications. But when it comes to that, you can make a thread about it, and people much more knowledgeable than I will help you out with that.

OT: Maybe a Peavey 3120, maybe a Marshall DSL/TSL.

Ok, thanks!
you're a stone fox