You haven't touched your acoustic in months. For whatever reason. You work too much. You're getting laid a lot (for once!) You're depressed. You tried to light a vodka drink on fire and set your ax ablaze instead. And now when you pick it up, you can't quite finger those chords the same way. Your bar chords sound like you're playing a kids toy, and your fingers begin to peel. Again.

I haven't played my guitar since March.

See, I moved, and only just got my guitar back from behind my best friend's couch. Thank the gods of rock its still in one piece. And it's a nice one too, Ibanez, pearl inlays, sounds good. Usually.

Maybe the humidity has dried out the strings, or the change of seasons means I need a new set. The bridge looks like it's come up a bit off the body, and the chords sound muddy. I can't get any good clean volume out of the thing.

Either way, I need to get back up to game so I can perform, so my question is two-fold.

One, what specific maintenance measures should I take with my guitar, and two, what exercises would help me get my hands back to that tight grip and fast fingering I need to play well?

[optional bonus question: Have you found a type of string that lasts best in the summer?]
D'Addario bronze stings seem to last a while for me and I play just about every day. They sound good too. I live in Fl and the summers here are brutal. You might want to get a new bridge if its damaged or just glue in the one you have if its still good.

As for exercises I'd suggest you just start playing. Maybe practice just holding a barre chord for as long as you can, rest a few seconds and repeat. Scale runs with a metronome. Just play bro.
until the day i die i recommend elixer strings for for an acoustic. they cost more but its completely worth it. i'd excercise by playing songs i know. dopelope is right, just play.
My sig? Nice.
if your bridge is coming off, first thing is to get it reattached, and next it sounds like you need to humidify it, and keep it at the proper humidity level. new strings are always a plus.

playing the guitar will strengthen your fingers.

btw, i, too, like d'addario phosphor bronze strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Spud Spudly
Stop getting laid a lot and your hand will strengthen back up in no time.

hah

Quote by Spud Spudly
Stop getting laid a lot and your hand will strengthen back up in no time.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!