Page 1 of 2
Any other fixie riders in the pit?
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Last edited by UncleRemus at Jun 23, 2011,
Unless you're training for an event, no one should have a fixed gear bike
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
I'm sure it looks really good parked outside Starbucks while you're in working as a "writer"
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Quote by jetfuel495
This.

I enjoy going 30mph+ on my bicycle more than I enjoy looking like a hipster, so I'll stick to having gears.

You can get that on a fixie you simply don't get the option of making it easier. Just get a cog the size big enough for you to get a decent top speed and you lose the ability to coast unless you get one with a freewheel, but beyond that I dont see the hate on them tbh. Simpler bikes, lighter as well. Perfect for commuters like me.
Quote by sglover34479
You can get that on a fixie you simply don't get the option of making it easier. Just get a cog the size big enough for you to get a decent top speed and you lose the ability to coast unless you get one with a freewheel, but beyond that I dont see the hate on them tbh. Simpler bikes, lighter as well. Perfect for commuters like me.

This.

Fixed gear is low maintenance, light, fun to ride, and less likely to get stolen due to the sparse look. In other words, the perfect commuter bike.

Also,

Quote by sglover34479
I'll soon be riding a fixie from Schwinn, my experience is mostly doing long distance on a mountain bike so far so I'm really looking forward to it.

Sounds like fun. How far are you going?
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by UncleRemus

Sounds like fun. How far are you going?

I commute 10 miles to school and the same distance to work, and when I have time I love going on long day trips and camping out somewhere :p I'm a bit of a cycling addict honestly. I've done some charity rides and I'd love to do some touring when I'm 18.
I live in Portland. Fixies, fixies everywhere.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by sglover34479
I commute 10 miles to school and the same distance to work, and when I have time I love going on long day trips and camping out somewhere :p I'm a bit of a cycling addict honestly. I've done some charity rides and I'd love to do some touring when I'm 18.

Yeah, tour while you have the opportunity for sure.

So are you riding fixie yet or looking at converting soon?
Last.fm

that's a real man's bicycle right there, i tell you what.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't understand the hate toward fixed gear bikes. I know hipsters ride them, but they only ride the ones that look like they're from the dark ages.

I bet no one thinks of this when they hear fixed gear bike, but guess what? It is one;

I love fixies, I used to ride them all the time. Then my mom got a job.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I bet no one thinks of this when they hear fixed gear bike, but guess what? It is one

This is the first thing that came to my mind actually, until people started discussing hipsters.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Butt Rayge
I don't understand the hate toward fixed gear bikes. I know hipsters ride them, but they only ride the ones that look like they're from the dark ages.

I bet no one thinks of this when they hear fixed gear bike, but guess what? It is one;

bmxs aren't usually fixed geared.
edit: At least to my knowledge they aren't fixed. My bmx and the others I've ridden whether it be friends or locals at my local park do not have it. I can't imagine doing a trick with the pedals constantly spinning.
Last edited by jonlambofgod666 at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by jonlambofgod666
I can't imagine doing a trick with the pedals constantly spinning.

Wow, I forgot that fixed-gear bikes can't coast. I haven't used a fixed gear bike since I was a little kid.
Fixed gears are worthless shitty bikes. If your in a FLAT city, then yeah, I guess you could be a cheap ass (you know youe gonna buy an expensive one).

Ill stick to my road or mountain bike.
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I'd be stupid to own one considering i live on the top of a hill. Its enough of a strain to get up with my road bike.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by israels_son
I'm sure it looks really good parked outside Starbucks while you're in working as a "writer"

So much win.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I ride a flat with a fixed gear from time to time.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
No. I have the brain capacity to operate the gear function on bicycles without diverting any real attention to it.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
No, I prefer my bike to be actually functional.

Unless your a cycling enthusiast who already has a normal bike and just wants to switch it up from time to time I just really don't see the point.
I have a proper road bike I use for commuting but funnily enough I rarely change gear.

I'm more of a Cadel Evans than an Alberto Contador in that I like to push the harder gears, I cruise around everywhere sitting in top gear lol. There are some significantly steep hills around but luckily they aren't long climbs and I can just pump it up there.

Bikes ftw by the way. We need a general biking thread...
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Unless you're training for an event, no one should have a fixed gear bike

This more than anything!

Quote by UncleRemus
This.

Fixed gear is low maintenance, light, fun to ride, and less likely to get stolen due to the sparse look. In other words, the perfect commuter bike.

With increasing popularity that is bullshit.

I had gears then went single speed for commuting to and from school. I recently moved and am rebuilding with gears. (just ordered everything today) I got tired of elitist hipster on campus talking shit about my bike. I can outride any one of them any day.

I second a general biking thread.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by PeZ546
No, my bike has many, many gears.

Also agree with this.

Shouldn't this discussion be in the motorbike thread, as opposed to having its own thread?
I'm L.

emo_goth is a username from a long time ago - don't judge me for it!
Dude I was at a party a while back and the hipster fixie kids showed up and put in a fixed gear bike video. Good god was that the lamest thing I had seen in a hot second.
May as well change the name to "Official Biking Thread" with the way this is going.

Still, riding fixie doesn't make you a hipster. I used to say the same thing before I actually rode one and realized they're a lot of fun. My personal opinion is ride whatever you want because the more cyclists the better.
Last.fm

Shit, how do I change a thread name?
Last.fm

Page 1 of 2