Poll: Whose mix sounds the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Whose mix sounds the best?
ChemicalFire
2 8%
Das_Skittles
6 23%
maggot9779
13 50%
kcorkcar
0 0%
GoIrish668
5 19%
Voters: 26.
Finally, here are the voting threads for The Pit's Mixing/Mastering Competition I. This will be one of three voting threads, and the winner of each will be put into a finals thread to figure out the true winner.

So please, take a listen to each and vote for what you think is the best mix. Whichever you vote for, please leave a bit of information as to why you voted for it, and feedback for the others is also vastly appreciated, since that's what this competition is all about.

Most of the participants have provided a brief description of what they did to their mix, which I will post along with their link.

Contestants

ChemicalFire - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/MixingCompFINALMIX.mp3

A VERY detailed description can be viewed here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/how.txt

Das_Skittles - http://soundcloud.com/emperorskittlesmusic/its-not-a-fashion-statement

Guitars: Dual Rec guitar sim, TSE 808, Mesa cab impulses, EQ, no compression on either track

Bass: POD Farm, using the Orange amp model

Drums: Just EQ and compression

Vocals: GSnap pitch correction (which hardly helped anyway), POD Farm preamp, slight delay and EQ on the lead line. Backing vocals were run through the same preamp as the lead line, then EQ'd separately. Compression on the lead and doubled vocals, not the harmonies.

kcorkcar - http://soundcloud.com/kcorkcar/ug-song-mastered

Description:
Amp sims:Pod Farm 2.5, Acmegig bar
Other Vsts: Acmegig Bar's Cab Enhancer, Acmegig bar's Red shift pick up changer
Impulses: Redwires, Grind
DAW: Cubase 5
Mastering: iZotope Ozone
Quad Tracked Guitars
Double Tracked Drum elements
Vocal Effects: Reverb, EQ, Chorus
Hours put into this: Too many

Comments: This was a very fun project and allowed me to improve my mixing and mastering skills. Looking forward to the next competition

GoIrish668 - http://soundcloud.com/andrewbuczek/ug-m-m-competition-1

I used Guitar Tracks Pro 4 by Cakewalk. This was actually my first time ever mixing drum tracks, I think I did a pretty decent job of it. The main change that I made to the whole song was that I took the rhythm guitar part and "double tracked" it (aka copy-paste-nudge a few ms). And then I ran the octave melodies right up the middle.

maggot9779 - http://soundcloud.com/maggot9779/ugmix-final

Drums: I replaced the kick with the AndySneap sample then I added a Transient Designer to bring out the attack and reduce the sustain. After that I added an SSL Channel for EQ and gave it a highpass at 70hz, boosted at 120, cut at 580, cut at 900 and cut a little at 4.7k.

For the snare I replaced it with a Megadeth sample and added a Transient Designer and SSL Channel to it as well. I brought out the body and the crack a little with the EQ

All I did to the hihat was compress it a little.

For the Toms I reduced a little high end to get rid of some of the clickyness.

For the overheads I added a SSL Channel and gave it a pretty dramatic highpass, reduced some lowmids and brought out some highs.

For the room I just gave it a highpass.

Each drum (except the kick)was then sent to a separate bus where I loaded a room impulse for reverb. The kick was sent to a different bus which I sidechained with the bass.

Bass: I duplicated the bass and on one track I compressed it and inserted a virtual bass amp called Mark Studio 1, on the other I compressed the crap out of it and added a distortion pedal sim. I sent them both to a bus and added a SSL Channel to reduce some lows and add a tiny bit of pick attack.

Guitars: The lead guitar uses the Amplitube SLO model. I added a highpass and EQed out some fizz at 5k. The rhythm guitar uses a Tubescreamer sim, LePou's Lecto sim and a Catharsis impulse. It also has a highpass and a cut at 5k. Both were sent to a bus with a Waves Center on it to widen them a little.

Vocals: I added a compressor and a distortion pedal sim to the intro vocals. I also highpassed at 280 and added a little boost at 8.5k.

The lead vocals have quite a lot of compression on them and I also added a Waves Jack Joseph vocal plugin to give them some presence and a tiny bit of delay and some width. I highpassed them aswell.

All of the backing vocals have pretty much the same things on them, a highpass, a compressor and Waves Center.

All of the vocals were sent to a bus with a room impulse like the drums.

For mastering I just added a Maserati GRP to the master bus and tweaked it a little.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Jun 22, 2011,
I have to vote for maggot here because I really disliked the guitars from all the others. Maggot's had the best guitar sound and balance between the vocals. The problem with it is that the drums are awful. Very thin sounding and too quiet.
Voted for Skittles, I don't really like the kick drum sound and the guitar's pretty scooped, but it sounds the best overall to me. Close second was Golrish, but there's noticable buzzing from the amps at around 1:10.

Maggot was also tied for me with Golrish, but the drums and lack of bass really killed it for me.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jun 22, 2011,
Hey guys, just wanted to say that even if you don't vote for me I'd love to get some criticism on my mix, apart from the fact the bass is too loud *facepalm* it'd really help me improve in future.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by sandyman323
I have to vote for maggot here because I really disliked the guitars from all the others. Maggot's had the best guitar sound and balance between the vocals. The problem with it is that the drums are awful. Very thin sounding and too quiet.

Yea, they actually sound pretty good on their own but I had to sacrifice a big drum sound for the bass and guitars.

Quote by GibsonMan321
Voted for Skittles, I don't really like the kick drum sound and the guitar's pretty scooped, but it sounds the best overall to me. Close second was Golrish, but there's noticable buzzing from the amps at around 1:10.

Maggot was also tied for me with Golrish, but the drums and lack of bass really killed it for me.

Weird, people were telling me the bass was too loud so I thought that might be a problem.
@ChemicalFire, the only thing I don't like about yours is the guitar sound. It just sounds a bit weird, not enough gain, presence or treble. It may be a problem with the amp sim you're using. Everything else sounds great IMO.

I voted for Maggot's, although I agree it lacks low end- I think people might have been saying the bass, as in the instrument, was too loud. The bass guitar is loud enough, but the overall mix sounds a bit too fizzy and bright to me.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
@ChemicalFire, the only thing I don't like about yours is the guitar sound. It just sounds a bit weird, not enough gain, presence or treble. It may be a problem with the amp sim you're using. Everything else sounds great IMO.

Was the sound I was going for, it's not a metal song so I didn't go for a metal sound. I was basing my guitar sound off British Hardcore bands *shrugs* but then again it's all about taste I guess.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
My first time working with amp sims, I think I did a decent job.
I expect I'll do much better next time.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Amp sims definitely take some getting used to. The new TSE X50 is so damn amazing though. Once they get ridiculous amount of cpu it uses down to a reasonable amount, I'll use it for anything distorted.
Btw, do you have any suggestions for clean amp sims?

Also, to anyone just looking for something to mess with, I found stems for a cover of Metallica's "The Day That Never Comes".

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/583789-metallica-cover-multitrack-mix.html

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
Btw, do you have any suggestions for clean amp sims?

Also, to anyone just looking for something to mess with, I found stems for a cover of Metallica's "The Day That Never Comes".

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/583789-metallica-cover-multitrack-mix.html

EQ and the right sim

Most amp sims have a horrible Fizz at the 4khz range. I use Vandal which is a physical modelled amp as opposed to a process modelled amp. So the hiss is less of an issue. Also talking everything off from the 10khz range and up can stop the buzzsaw effect in most cases.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
When is the end of voting for the first round?

Quote by theogonia777
Voted for Maggot9779.

Good job everyone though.
It's gonna be a blue day
Can't hear ChemicalFire's one, by the way. It says it's not found or something

You should add links to the other threads in the OP, by the way
Golrish. Just a well-balanced and powerful mix. The drums almost sounded real in the mix. Did the best job of dealing with the pitching issues in the vocals, although Chemical Fire's idea to ditch the backing in most parts was a good move. That mix was a bit pussy on the guitars, though.

Maggot's mix was a valid attempt, but the drum sound that was added wasn't as appropriate, and I liked the guitar on Golrish's better.

Das Skittles was OK, but the drums were too quiet and the guitars were louder than the vocals.

kcorkcar had the least impressive mix. It was thin and extremely pumped through the compression, and still not as loud as you'd imagine it would be.
*le thread bump*

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah, like, le voting has been over since monday lulz.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.