I'm thinking about trading my beloved Fender Telecaster HH for an Epiphone Les Paul with EMG's in it. I don't really want to after playing on my Fender for the last 6 hours... I want atleast an EMG 81 in the bridge of my guitar for a dirtier sound as the current P.U.'s in the Fender aren't satisfying me. I'm planning to atleast play the Epi, see if I like it...

How do EMG's (specifically EMG 81's) sound in a basswood bodied guitar? I keep hearing that it's not as good as an EMG in a mahogany...

Thanks ahead of time,
Michael
Quote by MrFlibble
There are no words to accurately describe my disdain for this post.
It should sound fine. Might I suggest trying Duncan Blackouts? 'Cause those things KILL.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
EMGs... make all guitars sound the same.

A EMG in basswood wouldn't sound too different if it were in alder/poplar/mahagony/ash/maple etc etc. No doubt there'll be subtle differences, but it'd be largely similar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
EMG's sound like EMG's sound like EMG's sound like EMG's.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If you think about it, the less high end of emgs due to the low magnet strength and the dark nature of mahagony might make the guitar quite muddy, but generally emgs are good about not being muddy, so really, all the basswood would change is weight sustain and mid range
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This...

Might I suggest Dimarzio D-Activators, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, or any kind of high output Bareknuckle?

I don't have an issue with EMGs, I just think there are better options for the pricetag.

+1

The D-Activators I can strongly agree with. Not sure about a BKP in an Epi tho TBH.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

The D-Activators I can strongly agree with. Not sure about a BKP in an Epi tho TBH.

As of right now we're speaking of my Fender Telecaster HH with BKP or D-Activators. The Epiphone already has EMG's installed. If I had 300$ for pickups I'd definitely put BKP's in it. But I've considered D-Activators but really want the EMG's....
Quote by MrFlibble
Nailbombs?
Aftermaths?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

Pssht, I have BKP's in my Squier Strat, and it's nothing but epicness.

But yeah, EMG's sound the same in any guitar, but I actually found that with EMG's you can change your tone more by using different material strings. DR strings were great for distortion, but bad for cleans, Nickle wound were great for cleans, roundwounds were great for if you wanted to get a loose gain sound, which EMG's are known for sounding very tight.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Pssht, I have BKP's in my Squier Strat, and it's nothing but epicness.

If you can justify the expenditure upgrading a starter guitar, more power to you. I think its a waste of money.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
If I were in UK all of my guitars would have BKP, as I am in United States, I think not. So what does everyone think? Mahogany Epiphone with EMG's already in or Basswood Fender and TRY with EMG's?
Quote by MrFlibble
The Basswood EMG idea is kinda risky. Whats good about basswood is that its a slightly sterile soundign wood- great if you (like me) want to get most of your tone out of a massive pedalboard/complicated MFX signal chains. But if youre the plug-guitar-into-amp type, then the results will be a bit of an aquired taste. The EMG's have an extended tonal range so they dont have the typical mid hump/scoop that passives have (which is why they are frequently used in ERG's, though oassives manage jsut fine, only sound different). So sterile body+sterile pickups isnt exactly ideal. What you CAN do is get a set of blackouts- SD have a 15 day return policy IIRC- dont like the pickups, return them for another set.
The sound that the wood imparts imo is over rated, its a subtle difference. Your going to get variety between different types and within the same type of woods, so I could find a brighter sounding mahogany and a darker sounding piece of alder, but the differences are still really subtle. You can eq most guitars to sound the same anyway, with the same pickups at least. So dont worry about it.
Quote by Spudderz
The sound that the wood imparts imo is over rated, its a subtle difference. Your going to get variety between different types and within the same type of woods, so I could find a brighter sounding mahogany and a darker sounding piece of alder, but the differences are still really subtle. You can eq most guitars to sound the same anyway, with the same pickups at least. So dont worry about it.

Try playing through more reactive amps like a Mark V, then you'll hear the obvious difference.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Try playing through more reactive amps like a Mark V, then you'll hear the obvious difference.

I have played through some decent amps, and I was able to EQ different guitars to sound pretty much the same. Like I said its a subtle difference, unless you use the same eq, then the differences are obvious.
^What he said. Unless the guitar is very wildly individual in sound, there wont be much of a difference unless youre a tone snob of the highest order. 90% of people wont detect much of a difference so long as EQing is done properly. If everything is at noon, then yeah, there will be differences.
I'm getting twisted messages here. I'm getting those "EMG's in anything will sound like EMG" and I'm also getting the "EMG in basswood won't sound the best." Which one is it?! Haha. Would I be better off going D-Activator in decent basswood or should I go with EMG's in below average china Mahogany?
Quote by MrFlibble
Is the D-Activator any good for hardcore Drop B/Drop A# stuff? I'm honestly just looking for that 'overused Metalcore' tone, not trying to find or sound like anything new. I know that EMG's sound good with Dropped tunings...
Quote by MrFlibble
How abuot getting a pair of Blackouts? fearedse uses those. And his drop B riffage is just plain br00t4l. The D Activator is a very versatile pickup though, more so than the Blackouts IMO. But i dunno how it will react to such low tunings.
Granted EMG's sound like EMG's BUT the body wood colors it different. I have EMG's in a mahogany body and neck PRS and the sound is dark the neck is a little muddy but I lowered the neck pickup to pull some of that out. I also have a basswood body maple necked RG350 MDX that I had EMG's in and they were a little brighter sounding. My cousin has two 81's in a Jackson Fusion which is also Mahogany and again the sound is a little darker. Whether it is active or passive pickups the wood don't change the initial sound of the pickups they just color the sound a little different and as for if they work or not tone is in the ear of the user. I could say it sucks but you may love it.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Last edited by dsbcc at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nah, it just means I'll have some awesome pickups once I get a real strat to drop them into.

There see, that's the point, the Squier is not the end guitar. Its...

Ah forget it... I'm getting a little too tired to have to keep explaining this
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nah, it just means I'll have some awesome pickups once I get a real strat to drop them into.

+1
I have a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge and neck of my Squier respectively. When I get a Fender they'll go into it

EDIT: and try the CrunchLab and Liquifire. Personally, I don't like Dream Theater but he (John Petrucci) does get nice tones live. And if you ask me, they're very versatile pickups
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Jun 24, 2011,