I didn't think this was possible, but I have a bass where the E string is in tune open, but flat past the 7th or 8th fret. I've moved the saddle up as far as possible. The oddest thing is that the 12th fret harmonic on the E string is somewhere around the 13 1/2 fret (no harmonic rings on the 12 fret).

Any ideas? I've checked to make sure the string is sitting in the bridge and nut properly (it is). Also, the bass has been in tune in the past and this is a recent development. The only recent change we've made is to lower the strings a little.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
That's just an intonation problem. You can asjust the length of the string at the bridge but I can't remember which way you have to go in your instance.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
That's what I thought, but I adjusted it all the way forward (I believe that is the correct direction).
You make the string longer to make it flatter, and shorter to make it sharper. Your intonation is quite flat, which is why you have to go passed the twelfth fret for it to be in tune. Move the saddle away from the bridge to fix your problem

It makes sense that this started happening after you changed your action, because it does alter the length of the string slightly.

So, the saddles move two ways. Up and down for action, and back and forth for intonation. Like I said, just move the saddle toward the neck of the bass a bit. Its easy to test if its intonated properly. Play the 12th fret harmonic, and then fret the note and play it. They should be the same pitch

EDIT: ^Forwards in terms of what? Closer to the bridge, or closer to the neck?
Last edited by thebassiestbass at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by axeman80
That's what I thought, but I adjusted it all the way forward (I believe that is the correct direction).

No, you should adjust it so that the 12th fret harmonic is the same note as the 12th fret fretted, it shouldn't be sharp or flat.
Original post was wrong, listen to bassiest he wins
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by thunderbritches
13 1/2 fret? Sounds super sharp to me (I haven't done this in a while so I may be wrong) so pull the saddle closer to the back of the bridge (probably via tightening a screw) and check it with a chromatic tuner until the pitch of the harmonic is identical to the fretted note

No, the string is not sharp. He has to play the note sharp (1 and 1/2 frets higher) to compensate for the fact that the string is flat
Ok, so adjust the length of the string until the 12th fret harmonic is actually on the 12th fret, then tune accordingly. Will give it a shot.
Make sure the open string is properly in tune every time you adjust the bridge. If the open isn't in tune, adjusting so the 12 fret is in tune accomplishes nothing.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
Make sure the open string is properly in tune every time you adjust the bridge. If the open isn't in tune, adjusting so the 12 fret is in tune accomplishes nothing.

Absolutely not true. Perhaps the difference in string tension could affect that pitch ever so slightly (>2cents), but if what you were saying is true, that would mean that if you played in Drop D, the D on the twelfth fret E string would be more than noticeably out of tune. As long as the open string is close to the note you ultimately want to tune it to, it will be fine
Quote by thebassiestbass
*herpderpderpyderp*

Was this an adbot that got banned or did he just not read what I said properly?

EDIT: just read the rest of the thread, he wasn't an adbot. Must just like skim-reading then
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Ok, I cannot get a harmonic to ring on the 12 fret no matter where the saddle is adjusted. The closest I can get it is around the 11th fret. I'm out of ideas (besides take it to a shop).