I'm new to recording guitar. Right now I'm only interested in recording myself at the moment. I am in a band. I've been recently using a not so great USB microphone.

I have a Line 6 Spider IV HD150 amp head with a direct out jack. How do I use it to record, idk what else I would need.
You should really Get a USB interface!
The Line 6 UX1 is your best bet because it comes with Amp software. IMO that would be better than going direct out from your spider. You will also need a program to record with. I suggest REAPER as it's free, and very capable of many things!
It's easy.
Get a cable from the spiders direct out port to your sound card's line in (or mic in) and there you go!
I suggest Audacity since it's a great software and it's free, look up some tutorials , i'm sure you can find a lot how to do thing.

ps: Line 6 UX1 isn't a really good interface, and it would be just a waste of money since you don't really need it.
REAPER is not free it's cost's about 50$, it only have a 30 days trial ( you can use it as long as you want but than it's like stealing it...)
REAPER is a very complex program and it's certanly not for beginners
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
It's easy.
Get a cable from the spiders direct out port to your sound card's line in (or mic in) and there you go!
I suggest Audacity since it's a great software and it's free, look up some tutorials , i'm sure you can find a lot how to do thing.

ps: Line 6 UX1 isn't a really good interface, and it would be just a waste of money since you don't really need it.
REAPER is not free it's cost's about 50$, it only have a 30 days trial ( you can use it as long as you want but than it's like stealing it...)
REAPER is a very complex program and it's certanly not for beginners

No of this is really good advice at all.

Get an interface and use free amp sims. Then look at DAWs in your price range and decide what you want. Audacity doesn't even have a mixer I believe I saw someone post. I haven't used Audacity in a long time but it use to be pretty jank.

If all else fails get Reaper and use it after the trail expires. If they were really worried about it they would make Reaper stop working after 30 days.

I have a Line 6 Spider III and use to try to record from it and it sounded horrible through the line out, also never go guitar into line-in or mic-in (besides sounding bad) it can damage the inputs or blow a stock soundcard.
Quote by Voyevoda
I didn't know about a specific cable. I looked it up.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-TRS-Stereo-1-4--M--Patch-Cable-102975240-i1166743.gc

I have some software. That cable is all I need?

Yes , that is all you need.

If you just want to record a few riffs or song sketches , you don't need any more stuff, no need to spend on something you don't really need.

This cable is cheap, so its's clearly worth a try, before spending a lot of money...
Quote by FireHawk
Also never go guitar into line-in or mic-in (besides sounding bad) it can damage the inputs or blow a stock soundcard.

How concerened should I be about this statement? How does it work? Like volume levels? After plugging the cable into the computer, the sound would still output form the speaker cabinet as usual right?