Hey guys. I've been shopping around Music123 and I noticed that Elixirs are by far costlier than any other strings I've been coming across. I was thinking of going with Super Slinkies but as my guitar store already carries Elixirs, if they are better then I'll continue to use 'em. So I'd just like to know if they cost more cause they're better or what?

And any advice regarding which strings to get will be appreciated.

Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I used them for a while until I switched to 11s. They do last longer from my experience, but they have a weird feel to them you have to get used to.
I've played with Elixir .11's (Medium) And let me tell you, If you drop tune your guitar to Drop C or lower, they will last for 3-6 months. They are definantly worth the cost.

I once bought some super slinky's and the 2 highest strings (E, B) Snapped within 1-2 weeks and all of them rusted within a month. Never again.

Go with the elixir strings, you won't regret it
Cheers guys. Yeah I use Elixir .11's atm, my high E snapped and that's why I was shopping around. But if the general consensus is that they are better, then I'll stick with 'em.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Worth every penny. They last forever and sound amazing. I actually saw a video where a guy said he left em on his guitar for 5 years and they sounded better than brand new DR coated strings, I could find it if youd like.
Where's Waldo?
ernie ball 9's have lasted me about a month with no significant loss of tone or feel.
i don't like paying up the ass just for strings. ernie ball's/d'adarrios are good enough for me.
Thats playing around 3-12 hours a day.
Oh and i forgot to mention, they dont tarnish (atleast not for 3+ months) so they look nice still. IDK tarnish on my strings annoys me, especailly cause certain parts of the strings feel weird and different than the rest.
Where's Waldo?
Meh. They last a really long time, which is why they cost so much, but they feel and sound like shit IMO. This will of course vary per person, so the only way (and truly, the answer to every string question ever) to find out if they're for you is to try them out yourself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I hate coated strings in general as they feel like Vasoline under my fingertips.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
No, I don't sweat alot while playing.

After the metallicy twang period is over. Thats it for me.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
i hope one day people will learn to stop fantasizing over gear, and just learn how to play guitar for once. thats what i did, and now im a lot better. all the tone, warmth and clarity comes from the fingers. just practice unplugged and just keep strings on for 1 month and dont be ocd about it. use older, harder to play on strings as an obstacle, so that when you play on something more comfortable to play on, you can do it with ease.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
i hope one day people will learn to stop fantasizing over gear, and just learn how to play guitar for once. thats what i did, and now im a lot better. all the tone, warmth and clarity comes from the fingers. just practice unplugged and just keep strings on for 1 month and dont be ocd about it. use older, harder to play on strings as an obstacle, so that when you play on something more comfortable to play on, you can do it with ease.

Wow thanks for that, brb selling all my gear

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by LolCatGuitar

My question had nothing to do with an inability to play guitar...and yeah. Until a certain point, gear doesn't matter and you're just being anal. But once you get the sound you're going for, you want to be able to phrase it as best you can with the tools and the technology afforded to you. I don't suppose you play a beat up old plywood acoustic, do you?

And thanks again guys, the last time I played anything that wasn't Elixirs was Dean Markley's a few years ago so I've kinda lost my comparability.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Jun 23, 2011,
I have elixers on half of my guitars and DR coated on the other half.

I really like them, they last a long time and sound great. On one of my V's with 11's tuned to drop C I had left them on there for a year and they sounded great.

That being said they do feel a little funny and you have to get used the coating flaking where your pick hits it.

As for the DR's I use them for 10's and 9's, only due to availability at local guitar stores. I absolutely love them. They sound great and last a very long time as well. The only type I use are black beauties.

If you play heavily you may want to consider non coated strings as it makes no sense. For people like me who barely have time to play 1 guitar for an hour a week(and I have 5 guitars) they make perfect sense.
Quote by LolCatGuitar

might rise the actrion as well, no?

oh right, that builds up bad habbit of lifting your fingers away from fretboard

Creating physical obstacles is never good move
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
lets just say that now when i buy new strings for i dont look at how the strings feels or looks like or sounds like, i kinda go by the fact that its been 6 months since i changed them so i probably should just to be safe. they last forever, best strings in the busniess
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by LolCatGuitar

You're right. Say, could you tell me how my fingers could make my Les Paul sound like a Telecaster with Filtertrons? I've been wanting to try KT88s in my amp, but it's got EL34s. Can you teach me how to have KT88 fingers?

OT: I like to change my strings fairly often. I go through two sets of strings per gig usually. Tried Elixirs once to see the longevity--they sure kept that "new string sound" longer, but I wasn't really a fan of their tone. Now I stick with D'addarios, DRs, and Slinkys depending on the guitar.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Kev_369
Wow thanks for that, brb selling all my gear

ok. thankyou for reminding me that this forum is full of arrogance and people with the ability to overshoot statements intentionally.

Quote by Firenze
My question had nothing to do with an inability to play guitar...and yeah. Until a certain point, gear doesn't matter and you're just being anal. But once you get the sound you're going for, you want to be able to phrase it as best you can with the tools and the technology afforded to you. I don't suppose you play a beat up old plywood acoustic, do you?

And thanks again guys, the last time I played anything that wasn't Elixirs was Dean Markley's a few years ago so I've kinda lost my comparability.

i never said to go that far with it. im just wondering why so many people on this forum are so ocd about the smallest things like picks and strings. if you just said to yourself "ok, im playing d'adarrio 10's and with dunlop jazz III picks, its fine the way it is, i don't need anything new" instead of having various people make threads that are not going to be nearly as informative if they just tried the equipment out themselves. im not saying the thread starters are stupid, just saying that it's really there own choice for "X" pick or "X" string guage and company.

just saying that you don't have to spend an extra $12 a string package just so you can bend 1 semitone higher or so you can slide faster. but if going to a different string company makes you play better, sound better and last longer, and your willing to pay the cost, thats fine, if it works for you, great! and i do believe what you say about how anybody is allowed to use musical tools to help them in creating music so to say, but just that i believe that you wont get anywhere unless you learn to play and sound great, regardless of amps, what strings and guitar. anyone can pick up a shitty fender like what joe satriani can do and make it sound amazing. then let a beginner pick up his touring gear and he can sound terrible.

even a decent-ok sounding player will make a really touch-sensitive guitar and amp setup sound bad if they cant control accidentally hitting open strings and missing notes and having your fingers out of sync with your picking hand while playing alternate picking stuff. just outlining that good playing + bad gear = good/ok tone. bad playing + anything = bad tone. not trying to start an argument but just stating a point. sorry for the wall of text.

Quote by hr113
might rise the actrion as well, no?

oh right, that builds up bad habbit of lifting your fingers away from fretboard

Creating physical obstacles is never good move

if you like to raise the action for more low end and experimenting with different heights of strings, sure. i dont care its what you do, if it makes you play better with higher action, then going to lower action and your amazing, then thats good for you. also, how does that build a habit of lifting the fingers of the fretboard? i do it all the time, and i'm fast enough to play what i want to play, accurate enough and i sound good. i also play with low action and do that so i don't see a problem really as long as it works with what you play.

EDIT:
Quote by Seref
You're right. Say, could you tell me how my fingers could make my Les Paul sound like a Telecaster with Filtertrons? I've been wanting to try KT88s in my amp, but it's got EL34s. Can you teach me how to have KT88 fingers?

sure, you buy a tele with filtertrons or you put kt88's in your el34 amp. your fingers are fingers, they make your tone better, but they don't change it. they do just that its the same eq structure. but just sounding better.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by LolCatGuitar

i don't like paying up the ass just for strings. ernie ball's/d'adarrios are good enough for me.

Oh, then you're gonna like Elixirs. They last me about three to four times as long as anything else I've tried (which more than compensates for the price).

One thing about strings I like to mention: Long as we're talking about two sets from different manufactures with the same specs (say, both are nickel-plated, round-wound, same gauge, and aren't corroded yet) I don't notice any difference in feel or sound. At all. Comparisons in tone between string-brands are tonal voodoo of the highest order to me.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
tldr

I think you're missing the point that by being on the internet on a Guitar Gear sub forum that unlike the other millions of people who are actually currently playing their guitars regardless we care about gear even if it only makes a tiny bit of difference. Better is better.

It may shock you to know that there are people out there who collect expensive guitars and amps yet couldn't even strum a power chord. I get what you're saying but its not always about purely becoming a better player.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by TheQuailman
Oh, then you're gonna like Elixirs. They last me about three to four times as long as anything else I've tried (which more than compensates for the price).

One thing about strings I like to mention: Long as we're talking about two sets from different manufactures with the same specs (say, both are nickel-plated, round-wound, same gauge, and aren't corroded yet) I don't notice any difference in feel or sound. At all. Comparisons in tone between string-brands are tonal voodoo of the highest order to me.

THIS.

Tyvm. Tone and Price-aside, the Elixirs seem to last a really long time compared to your standards, acoustic or electric.

Personally I use normal d'addario's on my electric guitars, because I do so much adjusting and abusing on them that I don't need the sets to last an extended period of time, lol. Plus they sound great, like a fresh new pair of properly installed strings should. Properly putting on the strings is 10x more important than the name brand.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
IMO no they are a waist of $$. They feal weard and the 1 set I did buy to try out the high E broke within 10 min of playing. All I use is D'addario/Earnie Ball now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't personally prefer them, but they do last a good long time.

I like DMS Blue Steel's, but quite honestly that may be the placebo effect. Still gonna use 'em tho...
I dislike Elixir strings. They sound very wierd in my opinion. To me, they sound like they need to grow some balls.
It's probably just me though, being an anal person.
Quote by Offworld92
Meh. They last a really long time, which is why they cost so much, but they feel and sound like shit IMO. This will of course vary per person, so the only way (and truly, the answer to every string question ever) to find out if they're for you is to try them out yourself.

This about sums up my feelings.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail