So after enduring the past two years of shitty distortions from my multi-effects pedal directly into my P.A., I've finally joined a band and I need a real amplifier. I'm having trouble however choosing the right amp for me.

I basically need an amp with decent distortion tones and other features basically to compliment my effects and make them sound better pretty much.
Most likely looking for a stack as well (head and 2 cabs)

Budget? - Around $1500 - $2000

Genres? - I play mainly heavy music, usually anything from Post-Hardcore to Rock to Prog. Metal to Death Metal.

New or Used? - New.

Home or Gig? - An amp that has volume, and LOTS of it, mainly being used for giging with bands and such.

Closest City? - Melbourne, Victoria (Melbourne)

Current Gear?
Yamaha EMX860ST Powered Mixer (P.A.)
4x Ashton P.A. Speaker things.
BOSS GT-10 (Effects processor)
Legacy Speaker Cab ~ 280w
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Epiphone Flying V 7 String (w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire John Petrucci pickups)
Quote by vjferrara
Whatever you decide on there is absolutely NO NEED FOR A FULL STACK. Ever.

+1

what covers will you play or what sound do you like ( name some bands )

for now: peavey 6505, TS-9 and Orange 212 closed back

lookz GREATZZZ!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Guaranteed a 5150 will be recommended, because I am going to do it right now to save everyone else time and because its a boss amp, and YOU DO NOT NEED A FULL STACK!
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Naruto00121

worst... advise... ever!!!! ( the speakers )

Quote by chadreed32
Guaranteed a 5150 will be recommended, because I am going to do it right now to save everyone else time and because its a boss amp, and YOU DO NOT NEED A FULL STACK!

i already did it, but the 5150 isn't available new..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250
worst... advise... ever!!!! ( the speakers )

i already did it, but the 5150 isn't available new..

Yes it is, the EVH 5150 III.
Basically my band is a Progressive Metal band.

It's mainly Dream Theater influenced.

How come I don't need a full stack though?
Quote by DiminishedShred
Basically my band is a Progressive Metal band.

It's mainly Dream Theater influenced.

How come I don't need a full stack though?

Unless you're playing a freaking arena with no PA, it would be overkill, and a bitch to transport.
Have you played through a half stack? theres plenty of power and volume in a half stack, and a full stack is just exessive money to spend on a cab, which you dont really need. plus you have to reach up to get to the head, which is annoying.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by mrmoo182
Unless you're playing a freaking arena with no PA, it would be overkill, and a bitch to transport.

8 speakers isn't that much louder than 2 speakers

@mrmoo182: he's talking in AUD i guess, so the 5150iii will be around 2500
even the new 6505 and orange 212 CB will be on the top of his budget

@ts: can't you really go used?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Well, in that case...

What can I do for my P.A. to make it louder? That's the main problem I'm having at the moment /:
Umm Where are you planning on playing that would necessitate so much volume?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Mesa Mark V.

Would have suggested this, as Petrucci uses it, and it sounds like god, but its over the top end of his budget, though I have no idea what a used one goes for now, and I don't know if he needs to put money into a cab or not. You could go with an older version in the Mark series, Like a III or a IV.
Where's Waldo?
If I had a shit ton of money I would be all over the Mark V like a horny pre-teen would be over Megan Fox.

I just need something for now that'll give me a half decent tone to get me throught the next 5 years.

I always find with my P.A. it stuggles to hit large volumes even though it has a total wattage of 400w...
How about an Axe Fx? The Ultra in Aus is just in his budget if he buys from independent Music.....even the Standard will do everything he wants. Has models of all three of the mark IV's channels. Plus you can make any amp sound like anything else, adjust tube bias, tonestacks etc etc etc. Even mix and match pre amps and poweramps.

Or if thats too much, he can grab a used Mesa Triaxis off EBay along with a 50:50 or something.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 23, 2011,