Hey,

I've got a problem. I saw a band which used C minor scale with C# (Db) added. What's that scale? Some kind of chromatic?
It's just the C minor scale with either a chromatic or an accidental. Did they play the regular 2nd as well or just the Db/C#? If the first, it's a chromatic added; if the second, it's an accidental to give it a "phrygian" shape.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by b3i
So it's a chromatic

Any note played could be a chromatic. If you want to get specific, if it's not in the key, it's an accidental.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Hail
It's just the C minor scale with either a chromatic or an accidental. Did they play the regular 2nd as well or just the Db/C#? If the first, it's a chromatic added; if the second, it's an accidental to give it a "phrygian" shape.

Yep, probably a phrygian scale (assuming the Db replaced the natural D you'd expect to find in a minor scale). There are some other scales it could be, but this is a good place to start.

The full phrygian scale spelling is:

1 - C
2 - Db
b3- Eb
4 - F
5 - G
b6 - Ab
b7- Bb

It's basically a regular minor scale with a flattened 2nd. If you know your modes, it's the 3rd mode of the major scale.

Hope this helps,

Steve