One simple question to everyone: does your downpicking improve the more time you play guitar?
I know this has been talked about before but I never saw this exact question, and I am interested to know the answer. Thanks.
As with anything, the more time you spend practising something the better you get at it.

So to answer your question, yes it does improve with time.
downpicking is old its all about up picking now!!!!!! get with the times jeeez..............
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
Quote by azzman1337
As with anything, the more time you spend practising something the better you get at it.

So to answer your question, yes it does improve with time.

Thanks a lot for making it sound so simple.
I know that's obvious, but the reason I am asking is because of this: I have been playing since April of 2009, and upto now, I can see I have gotten better in certain areas, such as alternate picking, gallops, etc. I have been playing Metallica songs downpicked as long as I have been playing songs using those other techniques. However, I can barely see any improvement in my downpicking in these 2 years, whereas I have gotten a lot better in those other techniques.
Any tips?

Sometimes when I am super-warmed up I can play the whole 8 minutes of Master of Puppets downpicked but those times come around like, once in every month.
Any advice or suggestions? Thanks for helping a struggling self-taught player!!!
You mentioned "Master of Puppets", if you're a Metallica fan like me, you could begin at easier Metallica songs and downpick them. "Enter Sandman" and "Seek and Destroy" are easy songs, start with them if you haven't already.

The more you practice downpicking, the better you'll be.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
You will get better at what you practice. It won't magically happen. Look at your technique and see if you notice anything wrong (tense, maybe?) or go to a few lessons with a teacher. Or post a video so we can see. Have fun!
Thanks for all the replies!
I have the 'endurance' problem. I think I do get tense. The more I downpick, the tougher it gets with time. My wrist gets really weak.
For example, I will be able to play the spider riff to Master of Puppets (after the intro) for 2 times perfectly, but the next time it comes around, it gets TOUGH to play that thing again. I miss notes, or have to put REAL FORCED pressure to make my picking hand run through it.

Thanks for the help!!
Metallica! \m/ \m/
Quote by zuhairreza
Thanks for all the replies!
I have the 'endurance' problem. I think I do get tense. The more I downpick, the tougher it gets with time. My wrist gets really weak.
For example, I will be able to play the spider riff to Master of Puppets (after the intro) for 2 times perfectly, but the next time it comes around, it gets TOUGH to play that thing again. I miss notes, or have to put REAL FORCED pressure to make my picking hand run through it.

Thanks for the help!!
Metallica! \m/ \m/

NO no no no no no NO!

If you are applying more pressure to try and achieve results, you are doing it wrong; period. If you must try that particular song, slow it down, more than half, make sure there is the least applicable amount of pressure possible, and play it with as clean technique as possible. Practicing slowly will help you analyse your probloems, and isolate them.
I don't see why anyone would want to acquire downpicking, surely alt and economy is better? Unless there's something I'm not seeing?
Quote by Nugma
I don't see why anyone would want to acquire downpicking, surely alt and economy is better? Unless there's something I'm not seeing?

A lot of people prefer the 'tone' of downpicked power chords, etc.
It came with time (practice) to me. But I always mix it along with economy picking, like I use downpicking on power chords and the famous 6th string chugging, and economy handles the rest.
Oh yeah definitely improves through time.
Eventually you learn just how to pick at a string and get the right dynamics for just the sound you want. You'd be amazed how awesome you'll be a few years from now even with 15+ minutes of practice (properly that is)
: )
I did downpicking naturally ever since i started playing, so i had to learn alt picking, which does some with time
but i does matter on what you can do naturally aswell as how well you can play