Page 1 of 2
Hey pit, Im 17 years old and ive been looking at joining boxing or Muay Thai but i dont really know too much about it. I did other martial arts stuff e.g kung fu, karate but i didnt learn a whole lot and boxing seems more practical in real situations. I mainly want to toughen up, get some confidence and self defence and lose my bitch tits Anyway i have some doubts about joining as i dont want my face to get totally ****ed up, and i want to know if u get beaten up a lot with stuff like broken noses. Im not sure if im going to compete against other fighters but im sure im going to go in for the sparring and everything else. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Hey, You should go for it mate. I used to do a bit of boxing and not only was it great fun it got me really fit aswell. You dont have to fight but a bit of sparring every now and again is the only way to get better. In a training environment theres not really any more risk of nose breaking etc than walking into a door in your house lol. Go for it man.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

If you go to a decent boxing gym, you'll be absolutely fine. While sparring, you wear protective gear, and won't suffer any injuries. You'll gain a lot more confidence, more than anything.

I would also recommend Khans new Adidas gloves, as they are beautiful.

Watch a few old fights, so you can keep up with the banter. Ali - Frazier, for the necessity. Lewis - Botha for the hilarity of a Frenchman with a goatee getting embarrassed.

I'd really recommend boxing, it teaches discipline above all else.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Yeah ive been toying with the idea for ages for starting up but have only recently got the time to start something. I dont think i will do the competitions until ive boxed for about a year and im confident.
Mayweather over Pacquiao any day
Mayweather knocks out Ortiz 6th round KO
David Haye survives Klitschko and wins by 12th round UD
Pacquiao knocks out Marquez 8th round KO
Khan over Judah by 11th round TKO
Fury knocks out Chisora 4th Round KO

Anyone disagree with my predictions can die an untimely death.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Muay thai is better imo if its preparation for a real life situation - it used 8 points - fists, elbows, knees and feet - very advantageous if you can use them well. boxing on the other hand uses solely fists. A boxers punch is by far stronger - after all it is all they work on (as well as fitness, covered in almost every martial art)
I hate to say it, but both are full contact, you can expect to get injured, but you won't be put up against people of much greater ability until you yourself have got into it. That being said, those more proficient should be able to demonstrate a greater amount of self control, and shouldn't injure you anyway. If you do get injured, your body will toughen up, next time you take a hit you'll either block or it won't affect you as much.
Competitions will require you to push yourself, and you to be prepared to get hit!
Personally I train in taekwon-do (ITF style) but often enter kickboxing tournaments where the heat gets turned up and full contact comes into play. I've been injured, learnt from it, and now I'm 5 time British champion in TKD (4 bronze, 1 silver, mixture of sparring and patterns 2009-2011)
Give it a try is your best shot - decide which of muay thai and boxing you want to do and attend a couple of sessions.
I'm L.

emo_goth is a username from a long time ago - don't judge me for it!
Last edited by emo_goth at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Harmonius
David Haye survives Klitschko and wins by 12th round UD

Anyone disagree with my predictions can die an untimely death.

We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Yeah i expect to get injured but i just dont want to get totally milled I was looking at Muay Thai but there is only one class that does 1 day a week whereas boxing does 3 days a week. Also im not really very flexible in my legs anymore after rugby injuries and some other things from weight lifting in the past. Like i said i want to toughen up and hopefully boxing will if i keep at it
Quote by UraniYum

I know I'm in the minority here but speed kills. Klitschko is one dimensional and all he's got his a stiff jab. Haye talks a lot of trash but he has knockout power and most of all, speed and endurance. He'll do another Valuev job on Klitschko. Klitschko is a great boxer, don't get me wrong but Haye will 12UD him.

Also - Adamek will give Vitali a run for his money but he'll get knocked out somewhere around the 6th Round.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
I know I'm in the minority here but speed kills. Klitschko is one dimensional and all he's got his a stiff jab. Haye talks a lot of trash but he has knockout power and most of all, speed and endurance. He'll do another Valuev job on Klitschko. Klitschko is a great boxer, don't get me wrong but Haye will 12UD him.
You're comparing Klitschko to Valuev?

...seriously?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
You're comparing Klitschko to Valuev?

...seriously?

No I'm not but I'm simply implying that Haye will use the same tactics - hit and run. Klitschko is too one-dimensional. That's all he's got. I'll make a friendly bet with you that Haye wins.

EDIT: You seem to know a bit about boxing as well. Any upcoming predictions on the fights?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Harmonius
No I'm not but I'm simply implying that Haye will use the same tactics - hit and run. Klitschko is too one-dimensional. That's all he's got.
It's gotten him this far, to be fair...

I could say that Haye is one dimensional, he'll use the same tactic as he always does. He has a decent amount of snap power, but nothing, when compared to a champ.

Haye will get embarrassed, get dizzy early with a shot he wasn't expecting, build up a counterattack in the 7th, but fall in the 9th.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
It's gotten him this far, to be fair...

I could say that Haye is one dimensional, he'll use the same tactic as he always does. He has a decent amount of snap power, but nothing, when compared to a champ.

Haye will get embarrassed, get dizzy early with a shot he wasn't expecting, build up a counterattack in the 7th, but fall in the 9th.

One thing that Haye needs to work on is his head movement and he has Carl Froch syndrome - i.e. low left hand down to his waist. You're forgetting that Haye's a WBA Champ and both Klitschko's were ducking Valuev, even if the latter was the worst Heavyweight Champion to walk on this earth.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by bad news bear
Yeah i expect to get injured but i just dont want to get totally milled I was looking at Muay Thai but there is only one class that does 1 day a week whereas boxing does 3 days a week. Also im not really very flexible in my legs anymore after rugby injuries and some other things from weight lifting in the past. Like i said i want to toughen up and hopefully boxing will if i keep at it

You won't get milled - unless you can't put your arms up to block lol. Are the classes paid for by session? If so - why not do both? 2 days a week boxing, one day muay thai? As for being inflexible, when I started TKD 3.5 years ago, i couldn't kick much higher than about 3ft - now with regular stretching I can turning(roundhouse) kick someone who's 6' 7'' in the head without warming up! I'm 6' 0''!

EDIT: this thread is going kinda off topic - lets help this guy decide what he should do, not discuss who's going to win fights! make your own thread?
I'm L.

My classmate is the national champion of boxing in my country, he never seems to be "beaten up", go for it.
Quote by Harmonius
One thing that Haye needs to work on is his head movement and he has Carl Froch syndrome - i.e. low left hand down to his waist. You're forgetting that Haye's a WBA Champ and both Klitschko's were ducking Valuev, even if the latter was the worst Heavyweight Champion to walk on this earth.
Made a little boxing thread, just so as not to derail this fellas one. Do me a favour and copy this there, would you?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Go for boxing dude. I have always wanted to but never got around to it. I boxed once during the off season for crew because it was too choppy to row and it was a blast. These days all I do is skip rope between my sets at the gym. Anyone think 24 is to old to start boxing?
I might start Muay Thai once i can drive since its a short distance away actually Ive found 3 boxing gyms one in my local town and 2 in the nearby town. Im probably gonna go with the one in my local town even though its apparently not as good as the others just because its easier what with college. Thanks for the help guys XD
Do u think boxing will get u lean or bulky as well cus i bulked up alot from rugby but have since got skinny after quitting and im just wondering what boxing will be like for meh body.
Quote by bad news bear
Do u think boxing will get u lean or bulky as well cus i bulked up alot from rugby but have since got skinny after quitting and im just wondering what boxing will be like for meh body.
What weight would you be going in at? You're more likely to become leaner.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Difficulty with starting at 24 is your body is now set into its ways and won't enjoy being stretched easily - however flexibility isn't really an issue with boxing. If your skipping rope between sets then I imagine your fitness is pretty good. I'd give it a try. Maybe go for a few sprints to improve your stamina, and definately do some 2 minute rounds on a bag - that'll test your stamina.

EDIT: boxing won't bulk you up, but it will add to your definition. If you want to bulk up, go pump weights and eat high protein foods. Bear one thing in mnid - very few people are big and fast. If you increase your body weight through muscles, chances are you'll become a little bit slower. Find a balance between being big and strong and being quick - both increase your power (force = mass x velocity)
I'm L.

Atm im about 150 and im about 6ft.
Quote by emo_goth
Difficulty with starting at 24 is your body is now set into its ways and won't enjoy being stretched easily - however flexibility isn't really an issue with boxing. If your skipping rope between sets then I imagine your fitness is pretty good. I'd give it a try. Maybe go for a few sprints to improve your stamina, and definately do some 2 minute rounds on a bag - that'll test your stamina.

Thats awesome to hear. Much appreciated.
Quote by bad news bear

Atm im about 150 and im about 6ft.
Ah, welterweight. I'm about 158lb, and 6'3". Depending on your trainer, you may put up to 15lbs if you're seriously going for the training, within the first 6months to a year.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
What is competing in boxing like? I did do some competition type events when i did karate but i dont know if it can compare to boxing tbh....
Quote by bad news bear
What is competing in boxing like? I did do some competition type events when i did karate but i dont know if it can compare to boxing tbh....
If you've got experience in karate, you've got a good start. I'm not well versed in karate, so I couldn't say.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Its intense. From TKD competitions at national level, I can tell you now that you need a train hard. People like winning, and will fight hard to make sure they win. It takes confidence, fitness and an imperviousness to fear to do well in a competition. Thats from the TKD approach. Boxing is more contact than TKD (despite the fact I've nearly been knocked out on several occaisions even in training!) therefore would require greater mental preparation. Experience is karate is useful, you'll have basic ideas on how to block, stances etc as well as hopefully being able to throw an okay punch. How long did you train in the open hand?
I'm L.

about a year and a half but i only did about 2 competitions then but i think i did alright the first one i got bronze in and the 2nd silver. But karate was kind of too much bs for me with stuff like the katas which are like war dances (how i see them XD) and not a whole lot of sparring i could'nt see it being that practical in self defence either.
what you really need...

...is an epic training montage.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
what you really need...

...is an epic training montage.

This

As for karate being BS, that depends how you interpret it. The kata (hyeong in tkd) are a sequence of moves against imaginary opponents - sounds pointless but certainly in mine it shows realistic responses to a situation - eg if someone is grabbing hold of you, how to release them followed by a kick between the legs and an upwards elbow strike (this works, trust me!). But thats martials arts - looks fancy and is fancy unless you can work out exactly how each move in a form is supposed to be used. I think its called bunkai in karate.
I'm L.

Ive looked at my local gym and apparently you are expected to compete if u join and according to my friend the coach is a psycho
It's fun and if you're at even a half-decent gym they won't push you further than they should.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
You'll be fine. May get a little bloody in spars, but you won't have serious injuries.

One word of advice: ease yourself into it. I starting boxing last year and went from doing almost nothing to some intense workouts twice a week. I just went all out, and I completely wrecked my shoulder because I wasn't careful. It's still in rough shape, so make sure you don't push yourself too hard.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
yeah ive recently started lifitng weights again and i run every day about 2 miles and i have till september when boxing starts again
Its also weird tho but everyone ive met personally is usually an "ex boxer" when ive asked them about it. They usually do it for a year but quit after something gets broken i.e nose.
I can highly suggest Combat Sambo if you can afford it, very effective and lethal. Proper lessons would be expensive, I personally kickbox and partake in Jiu-Jitsu bi-daily.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Weird, I'm the same age as you and was JUST thinking about this when I saw your thread. Creepy coincidence is creepy, I guess...

Anyways, I've got a few questions too. how much do boxing lessons usually cost in the US? What about kickboxing/Muay Thai? Are lessons usually offered at regular gyms?
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Apparently its best to go to a gym which only does boxing rather than a gym which has a boxing class but idk XD
Quote by bad news bear
Apparently its best to go to a gym which only does boxing rather than a gym which has a boxing class but idk XD

If you are serious about it then def. go to a boxing gym instead of a gym that offers boxing. There be a difference.

They're London based but I'm not sure if they reach out nationally as well.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Page 1 of 2