So I'm planning to buy the ESP H-1001, but I dont know if EMG's or Duncans would be more appropriate. Ill be playing it through a peavey vypyr 120t, with a dunlop crybaby.
Depends, what kind of tone are you going for?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What kind of music are you playing? I have to say, I have the 81/85 combination on my Ibanez and I got Seymour Duncan on my LTD EC-401VF and the Duncans totally own the EMGs, they're by far my favorite pickups. I play all around rock.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Can you try them and decide for yourself as pickup choice is very subjective.
What music do you play? Which bands for example

Personally I would go with the Duncans because I don't like EMG's all that much, but that doesn't count for anything really
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I've tried both in different Schecters, also through a vypyr amp. They sounded ok, but they are better played through a real tube amp. Wait, I answered this question for you already!
For the perfect heavy metal sound:
EMG (81) humbuckers-brigde
EMG (60) humbuckers-neck

Very nice combination with good lead tones, for playing rythm guitar or a clean sound. The 81/81 or 81/85 combinations are also very good, depends on what kind of music you are playing?
I like Duncan's for more of a really vintage sounding high gain tone and they have wonderfully nice cleans. Emg's are great at what they though, mordern high gain
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED