Hey guys, I really want to get into some classical music, and discover, well...the classics.
But I was wondering if there are any, like, 'definitive' recordings I should listen to.

Like, are there any orchestras in particular whose performances of classical music are considered to be above other orchestra's performances?

If anyone can make sense of that, help would be greatly appreciated
There's one guy who's really famous for playing Chopin pieces. I can't remember his name right now but someone will know.
The get an album like... "The Greatest Classical Album in the World... EVER". Usually a good place to start as they are quite varied and usually say which orchestra/musicians play on it.
Quote by tyler_j

Like, are there any orchestras in particular whose performances of classical music are considered to be above other orchestra's performances?

Pfft, they're all just cover bands. If it ain't Bach playing, it ain't worth a phuck.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
Pfft, they're all just cover bands. If it ain't Bach playing, it ain't worth a phuck.

I actually considered looking for a Bach album the other day, but then realised the error of my ways.
piano - glenn gould is all i think of off the top of my head thats pretty damn famous

guitar - andres segovia, john williams, ana vidovic, all very famous

sorry dont know much of orchestras
Look to the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Berlin Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Vienna Philharmonic, New York Philharmonic and London Symphony Orchestra for "definitive" orchestral performances.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The Big 5 American Orchestras are usually considered the New York Philharmonic, The Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Cleveland Orchestra, and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Other top orchestra worldwide might be the London Symphony, the Tokyo Symphony and the Berlin Symphony..

As far as composers, Mozart and Beethoven are good places to start.
If you just want anything that falls under 'classical' as an umbrella term, then I'd check out people like Shostakovich, Prokofiev (you'll have heard Montagues and Capulets), Edvard Grieg, Gustav Mahler and Dvorak.

edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgH6ijCvYNc
That's always a fun song to listen to as well.
Call me Matthew.
Last edited by Masshuu at Jun 23, 2011,
While i preffer Baroque and Classical period composers (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart being most famous), got to mention G. Mahler
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Grieg
Wagner

are a few of my favourites.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I often google the specific piece, and find out that way. There's often a few performances that are recommended, and some interesting ones that do something unusual with it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Cleveland Orchestra! Their concert hall is less than a five minute walk from my dorm, so I've seen them a good couple of times, usually for free thanks to university programs. Freakin' love when they do Rachmaninoff.
i'm not really a heavy listener of classical music, but i really enjoy the planet suite by gustav holst
Quote by PanamaJack666
The get an album like... "The Greatest Classical Album in the World... EVER". Usually a good place to start as they are quite varied and usually say which orchestra/musicians play on it.

No, compilation albums are shitty.
Ive yet to meet a person who doesnt like shostakovich. And not that 5th symphony bullshit. I mean, I love it, but Ive just heard it so many times. Check out his first symphony. That shit is raw

George Crumb

Vaughan Williams

Sibelius

Grieg

Brahms (requiem)

I mean, this is just the cookie cutter tier stuff we're talking about here
Quote by tyler_j
Hey guys, I really want to get into some classical music, and discover, well...the classics.
But I was wondering if there are any, like, 'definitive' recordings I should listen to.

If anyone can make sense of that, help would be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure about different countries but Amazon mp3 have like '99 definitive Bach/Chopin etc' pieces that are life £3 each. Takes forever to download but its a great starter to classical.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Quote by thebassiestbass
Ive yet to meet a person who doesnt like shostakovich. And not that 5th symphony bullshit. I mean, I love it, but Ive just heard it so many times. Check out his first symphony. That shit is raw

George Crumb

Vaughan Williams

Sibelius

Grieg

Brahms (requiem)

I mean, this is just the cookie cutter tier stuff we're talking about here

I performed Sibelius' Finlandia last year. Such a great piece.
Quote by crimsonblood12
I performed Sibelius' Finlandia last year. Such a great piece.

Finlandia is plebeian tier. His symphonies are where the art is
Originally Posted by WillT08
There's one guy who's really famous for playing Chopin pieces. I can't remember his name right now but someone will know.
Matt Bellamy of Muse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6IdFgKkUdo

jk, but theirs a couple of string quartets that cover rock songs.

Not sure if you're talking orchestral too but:
Rachmaninoff
Pachelbel (Canon )
Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
In my opinion, just listen to which ever recording sounds better to you. I have listened to a bunch of recordings of the same song, and they are all completely different because of how it's perform.
I always find this sort of difficult on the rare occasions I try some classical music, when there's so many recordings I start to concentrate on which is the best before I even know about the music itself or what it needs from its performers

But yeah, ignore pit guys and listen to Xiaoxi. Glenn Gould is generally seen as the don for keyboard music, particularly Bach.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang

But yeah, ignore pit guys and listen to Xiaoxi. Glenn Gould is generally seen as the don for keyboard music, particularly Bach.

I love Glenn Gould but he doesn't necessarily give the definitive interpretation for everything he plays. Sometimes he does the exact opposite of what is "correct". If it's very contrapuntal, then he's most renowned for the clarity in separating the lines. However, in other textural settings it's really debatable. Andras Schiff, Sviatoslav Richter, Arther Rubinstein, and a few others are all very intelligent and aware of their playing and how effective it is for the compositions.

But purely within the context of Bach, Glenn Gould set the standard for piano interpretations. For the solo violin works, Henryk Szeryng performed the most faithful interpretations. For cello works, Yo Yo Ma.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yo Yo Ma is pretty widely regarded as being amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn_VBgkPNY

^that's a beautiful piece.

edit: goddamnit, xiaoxi, you beat me to yo yo ma
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking