Page 1 of 2
yea so the little bastage had to go whining about not getting his 60's tribute LP studio goldie yesterday. j/k but not really haha

got my damn gas goin...

then i have this amp which is another whole Oprah show but we won't get into that here. let's just say it's the amp and Darkflame's faults.

review. i unpacked this fiddle at the store, i had 3 to choose from and my buds let me inspect all three together. (they don't normally want 3 of the same model, open.)

initial set up was done by a blind employee who didn't get a raise earlier in the day, clearly.

when fretting the last fret, the pup missed by the width of a gnat's ass. the strings were on the second floor height-wise to make things crazier. but, the intonation was spot on, every string.

once i got all that sorted the tone was great. (can't be? right? this is where it's the amps fault.) i've played these in the store and really don't mind the stock gibson p90s that much. they aren't crazy great, but the guitar has a nice p90 tone. it's not a $3000 guitar, it's a $850 player.

but through a nice amp... blamo.

on to the pr0n...

here's proof gibson just released some, received in june.

sometimes i put my cab on it's side. old habit from my orange cab days.

this one is a 2 piece back, i've seen 4 piece backs and heard they do as many as 5 pieces but don't know that to be true. a store sales person told me that.

the gold is very thinly sprayed. there is actually a lot of green coming through.

there will be a thread for the amp soon, it's one of our very own Craig's creations (CECamps) and is a very well thought out tone monster.

oh and i want to thank Darkflame and my CEC Amp for yesterday.

i have a shitton to do today, so i will be back to answer any questions at some point tonight.

thanks for reading, enjoy the pics!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
awesome

^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sweet Greg.....if your ever looking to sell it, come to me!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Hngd
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

HNGD! Always did like the goldtop....So many guitars,...so little ca$h!

Inb4 darkflame rage
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
thanks everyone up there.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Adopt me.

i spit my drink. lol.

Quote by JesusCrisp
BTW how's the QC on it?

ok i'm not gonna lie. it shows signs of being partially "hand" made.

i will take a couple pics. you guys can decide on that.

the neck is set nicely, and the angle is good with the bridge. the stopbar and bridge do set up nice and low.

Quote by Controlpanel
HNGD!

Inb4 darkflame rage

no he's good. i told him about it yesterday and scolded him briefly in his "will i ever" thread.

also, all those pics were of the initial set up. check the bridge pup height.
the new pics will be post set up for the record.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 23, 2011,

now for the good news.

Looks good enough.

The importance is playability and tone, what does it matter if the finish isn't absolutely perfect or something, right?
It just makes this one unique. I like that its got some flaws, even at the studio level, they are all different. Plays damn nice now that I have it set up. I made the high e sharp. Oops.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 23, 2011,
I've been drooling over one of these in honey burst, but even after saving all summer I doubt I'll have enough. I'll probably just end up settling for a new Tele or finally replacing my camera. If I could find one for a decent price though...
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
It looks awesome. Though, I have a 54' Reissue, and I am hoping to grab a 56' Reissue soon, so i don't think I need one (since I like Les Pauls with a thicker neck anyway). I want an SG Tribute so badly. I actually quite like Gibson P90s. I think they use the same pickups in the custom shop models as the tributes, right?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by JesusCrisp
The importance is playability and tone, what does it matter if the finish isn't absolutely perfect or something, right?

Because if it were an $850 Korean guitar the finish would be just fine.
thanks for the comments guys.

Quote by kracdown
I think they use the same pickups in the custom shop models as the tributes, right?

i honestly don't know. i used to have to know that stuff, now i don't so i don't keep up. they are pretty quiet P-90s as far as noise i will say that, they sound good enough for me to leave them in there a while.

Quote by jpnyc
Because if it were an $850 Korean guitar the finish would be just fine.

$850 korean guitars don't get out of the factory with finish flaws.

hey it's true, show me a $850 korean guitar with half that overspray

Quote by gregs1020
$850 korean guitars don't get out of the factory with finish flaws.

hey it's true, show me a $850 korean guitar with half that overspray

Show me a 850$ Korean guitar with nitro finish and just half the tone of that Les Paul.
Ah, HNGD! I am actually going to order one LP Studio '60 Tribute once I come home from my vacation. Either this Goldtop or the Honeyburst / Cherry Sunburst one.
show me an $850 korean guitar without half a ton of abalone
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

That's also a good one, Dave.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Show me a 850$ Korean guitar with nitro finish and just half the tone of that Les Paul.

win.

Quote by CamelCloud
Ah, HNGD! I am actually going to order one LP Studio '60 Tribute once I come home from my vacation. Either this Goldtop or the Honeyburst / Cherry Sunburst one.

well everybody got boners over the goldtops. i think the honeybursts look good too, but the gold tops sell out pretty fast.

Quote by Dave_Mc

easy peesy as min would say.

GLEE!!!

Torero!

Holy crap I'm jealous. If I were to get another guitar, it would either be a Baja tele or that. I don't like Goldtops but this guitar is the sex.
ordered on: 3/11/2011

expected shipping date: 09/23/2011

grrrrrrr
Still, playing the waiting game, they DID put some more on sale the other day, therefore I'll get it =p
I'll just go play my SG for now.
In my bassman.
or my orange.
or my twin.
or my laney.

...And cry about it.
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020

easy peesy as min would say.

GLEE!!!

Torero!

ahahaha well played

EDIT: the cec amp looks great too. Reminds me a little (just in looks/cosmetics) of the audio kitchen amp which was reviewed in guitarist mag a couple of years back.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by buid
It should be illegal for a guitar to look that good!

Damn. HNGD!

+1
WOW... serweeeeet guitar dude!!!! gorgeous!!!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Darkflame
ordered on: 3/11/2011

expected shipping date: 09/23/2011

grrrrrrr
Still, playing the waiting game, they DID put some more on sale the other day, therefore I'll get it =p
I'll just go play my SG for now.
In my bassman.
or my orange.
or my twin.
or my laney.

...And cry about it.

so is yours now on it's way? did they change the date?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ahahaha well played

EDIT: the cec amp looks great too. Reminds me a little (just in looks/cosmetics) of the audio kitchen amp which was reviewed in guitarist mag a couple of years back.

i was at a complete loss. then i thought of washburn, but i don't think the MIK washburns are $850.

then i remembered the torerro.
yeah i don't think they're MIK anymore (the washburns).

but yeah an awful lot of the "higher-end" MIKs are just slathered in abalone. Which is a shame if you don't like it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
so is yours now on it's way? did they change the date?

you said that whilst quoting my message in which I carefully entered my shipping date

I have to stop lurking and stealing your thread, every person coming in and being happy for you just rubs it in
Quote by gregs1020

What model is the one on the right?
Les Paul Standard (pre-08) or Traditional?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Ahem...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
isn't that meant to be over $850, though?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2