If a song heavily references a character, could there be any legal trouble ? My band has been playing a song we wrote called "Pikachu" and it pretty heavily taps into pokemon mythos. Could there be any trouble ?
I dont know why you wrote a song about pikachu lol but i wont judge. Uh there could be, and I say that because I heard that 3 doors down got their asses sued for kryptonite. You might be fine though
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by leilalauren
Really? 3 Doors Down got sued for that???? Interesting...

i googled and found nothing and then checked wikipedia and found nothing....
I don't think so. It might fall under fair use.

Fair use includes "include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship"

(from wikipedia)
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Advertising the song as a "Pokemon" or "Pikachu" song would go against trademark. Making reference to, or singing about the pokemon on the other hand, is debatable, but shouldn't be in the wrong.

TLDR: Just call the song something like "Light Mouse" or "Pocket Full of Yellow" and continue with your song and you should be fine.
Quote by Slayton101
Advertising the song as a "Pokemon" or "Pikachu" song would go against trademark. Making reference to, or singing about the pokemon on the other hand, is debatable, but shouldn't be in the wrong.

TLDR: Just call the song something like "Light Mouse" or "Pocket Full of Yellow" and continue with your song and you should be fine.

As long as the title has changed, it will be fine, despite however much the lyrics reference pokemon and pikachu ?
I reckon if youre just playing small clubs and pubs with it then it would be fine.

Think of all the bands you see playing cover songs, you think theyve paid the original artists for the rights to play it? No. Same for calling your song Pikachu. Its not a problem cos the original creators dont know about it.

Now, recording, on the other hand, you may run into some issues.
As far as I know you cannot be sued - or more importantly, you won't unless you're making shit loads of money or defaming the original image/character - for writing a song about a cartoon character.

If a band can call themselves after the name of an amplifier company then you can sing about fucking Pikachu if you want to. Just don't, for goodness sake, ruin Pokemon and my past memories of that shitty cartoon.

Wrong forum.