Page 1 of 5
Saw some discussion about a thread dedicated to biking/cycling in my ill-fated fixie thread so I thought I'd start one. Gear, advice, and riding discussion in general is encouraged.

So pit, what are you riding?
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

You're not one of those idiots that ride their bike on the side of a country side barely 2 lane highway and thinks your not going to get hit...right?

I hate those kind of bikers, they ride their bikes on the road...and not just any roads, the roads that barely have enough room for 2 cars to pass and are very busy roads...your 30 pound bike is not a 4000 pound car, get off the friken road!

I like BMX bikes, I used to have one as a kid...thing was indestructible.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446539

I don't bike that much else actually but it's a nice way to travel.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by ethan_hanus
You're not one of those idiots that ride their bike on the side of a country side barely 2 lane highway and thinks your not going to get hit...right?

I hate those kind of bikers, they ride their bikes on the road...and not just any roads, the roads that barely have enough room for 2 cars to pass and are very busy roads...your 30 pound bike is not a 4000 pound car, get off the friken road!

Shut up, man. Kids on BMX bikes are as douchey as they come. I almost hit one on two separate occasions last week 'cuz they flew threw an intersection without even looking.
I'm currently training for an epic 11 day, 550 mile cycle ride from the south of France to Santiago in north Spain. Should be really good, there's about 20 of us going. I'm going on a carbon Scott Scale 30 hardtail. Can't wait!
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by neidnarb11890
Shut up, man. Kids on BMX bikes are as douchey as they come. I almost hit one on two separate occasions last week 'cuz they flew threw an intersection without even looking.

I'm not talking about those guys, I'm talking about the guys with the long distance bikes that wear those tights and think they are so cool biking 30 miles along side a busy road, holding up traffic cause nobody has the guts to knock the idiot off the road.
I wonder what would happen if you tried to play guitar while riding a bike...
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I'm riding some horrible mountain bike with some nice slick tyres. Quite like doing a quiet, 20 mile canal ride on a saturday morning and then a 30-40 mile ride through the countryside on a sunday morning. Haven't been in the routine recently with exams, planning to get back into it this or next weekend.

One question, I get a lot of creaking that seems to be coming from the seat post, which bit should I oil?
Call me Matthew.
Quote by ethan_hanus

This so much!

OT: Haven't rode my bike in about 2 years...
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm not talking about those guys, I'm talking about the guys with the long distance bikes that wear those tights and think they are so cool biking 30 miles along side a busy road, holding up traffic cause nobody has the guts to knock the idiot off the road.

1,000%.

A bike does not belong on the goddamned road where cars go. It gets on my nerves. When did this stupid trend even start? When I was a kid, you kept your bike on the sidewalk where it belonged. You were just stupid if you rode in the road
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
I wonder what would happen if you tried to play guitar while riding a bike...

A broken guitar and a broken face.
Quote by strat0blaster
1,000%.

A bike does not belong on the goddamned road where cars go. It gets on my nerves. When did this stupid trend even start? When I was a kid, you kept your bike on the sidewalk where it belonged. You were just stupid if you rode in the road

Don't come to Austin then, cause here, bikes have all the rights that cars do, and they can ride in the middle of the street, and your legally supposed think of them as a car....which I never do.
Quote by strat0blaster
1,000%.

Pedestrians get pissed if you ride your bike on the pavement though...Best place for riding is offroad anyways.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
Pedestrians get pissed if you ride your bike on the pavement though...Best place for riding is offroad anyways.

I'd rather have a pissed dude shouting at me than a Buick's steering column hanging 3/4 of the way out of my rectum.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Don't come to Austin then, cause here, bikes have all the rights that cars do, and they can ride in the middle of the street, and your legally supposed think of them as a car....which I never do.

I feel your pain. It's the same in Seattle, and the shame of that is that in Seattle, not even the damned drivers know what they're doing or where they're going, so in the city it's a big clusterhump.

I swear to the Gods it's like the turn signal is a lost art.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by ethan_hanus

Oh man this. Here we have the problems of both bikers and old people on scooters thinking they are cars.
Cars should respect cyclists. I ride more than I drive but when I do drive I always change lanes to pass someone riding. It takes very little effort on a driver's behalf to take a few extra seconds to make the road safe.
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by UncleRemus
Cars should respect cyclists. I ride more than I drive but when I do drive I always change lanes to pass someone riding. It takes very little effort on a driver's behalf to take a few extra seconds to make the road safe.

It's really annoying when they do this on 2 lane roads and there is a car in the opposing lane.
Quote by Lost Dog
It's really annoying when they do this on 2 lane roads and there is a car in the opposing lane.

Wait the six seconds for that car to pass. Not a big deal.
Last.fm

Quote by UncleRemus

Would you tolerate a car driving around on the runway if you were a 747 pilot? I mean, you just have to guide your passenger jet around the car to keep your runway safe, right?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by UncleRemus
Wait the six seconds for that car to pass. Not a big deal.

It's annoying. I would rather not wait. And those are roads designed for cars, not bikes.
Quote by strat0blaster
Would you tolerate a car driving around on the runway if you were a 747 pilot? I mean, you just have to guide your passenger jet around the car to keep your runway safe, right?

Man, talk about makin' mountains outta molehills.
Quote by strat0blaster

Horrible analogy. When have you ever needed to drive on a runway? Bicycles have no option besides the street; they are dangerous on the sidewalk and move fast enough not to inhibit smart traffic that drives carefully. Drivers need to learn to share the road. Like I said, it does not take much time or effort for a driver to make the road safe for cyclists.
Last.fm

Quote by neidnarb11890
Man, talk about makin' mountains outta molehills.

It's not a size related issue. It's the point of the matter, which is a bicycle doesn't belong on the road with cars anymore than a car belongs on an airfield with jets.

I didn't think that was an overly hard analogy to draw.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Lost Dog
It's annoying. I would rather not wait. And those are roads designed for cars, not bikes.

You know what's more than annoying? Being killed by an asshole who feels that his six seconds are worth more than someone else's life. Roads are for all traffic. Given the state of the environment and our oil supply we should be encouraging everyone to cycle as much as possible.
Last.fm

Quote by UncleRemus
Horrible analogy. When have you ever needed to drive on a runway? Bicycles have no option besides the street; they are dangerous on the sidewalk and move fast enough not to inhibit smart traffic that drives carefully. Drivers need to learn to share the road. Like I said, it does not take much time or effort for a driver to make the road safe for cyclists.

They don't belong on the road. Why's that so difficult to swallow? If I was running across a football field in the middle of a game because I saw a buddy on the other side instead of going around, and some half back destroyed me, it'd be my fault, and it would've come from a dumb decision.

For the record, I don't drive, so it's not coming from that viewpoint. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Dude, where the fuck are bikes supposed to ride if not in the road?

Sure, sidewalks are good if they're not crowded with pedestrians, or if there are actually sidewalks in the area. Honestly, it's not that big of a fucking deal, man.

For the record, I drive my car everywhere 'cuz I'm too fat & lazy to bike. So shut up.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by strat0blaster
They don't belong on the road. Why's that so difficult to swallow? If I was running across a football field in the middle of a game because I saw a buddy on the other side instead of going around, and some half back destroyed me, it'd be my fault, and it would've come from a dumb decision.

For the record, I don't drive, so it's not coming from that viewpoint. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Where do bicycles belong if not on the road? Like I said, they are fast enough to cause minimal inconvenience to drivers. I think people just can't stand having to spare a couple seconds on behalf of someone else....
Last.fm

Quote by UncleRemus
You know what's more than annoying? Being killed by an asshole who feels that his six seconds are worth more than someone else's life. Roads are for all traffic. Given the state of the environment and our oil supply we should be encouraging everyone to cycle as much as possible.

Yea, because I'm annoyed by them means I want to roll over them, and kill them to save 6 seconds.
Quote by UncleRemus
Where do bicycles belong if not on the road? Like I said, they are fast enough to cause minimal inconvenience to drivers. I think people just can't stand having to spare a couple seconds on behalf of someone else....

Really asking that question at this point?

And that last part isn't the case, as I've said I don't drive. I walk or bike, and I don't put my little bike in the spot where cars go because, well, it's not a car.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Really asking that question at this point?

It's a relevant question. People choose to cycle to save money on gas and reduce emissions. Where are they supposed to ride if not on the road? And the sidewalk is an unacceptable answer as bikes are closer in speed to cars than pedestrians and are more dangerous to riders and walkers alike on the sidewalk.
Last.fm

Quote by strat0blaster
1,000%.

And I personally don't think cars belong anywhere. They should be removed from existence for countless reasons.

In a growing number of cities (I know here in Madison at least) it's basically illegal to ride on most sidewalks, so not my fault. I do prefer to ride on a sidewalk when I can just do to being less in the way to anyone.

Even so, every highway I've ridden on here in Wisconsin (and I go on old side highways and shit a lot) there's always been plenty of room for cars to pass... On any main busy highway there's easily at least 6 feet, which I believe is the legal requirement, though it might be 4.... Any more narrow highway or high speed limit side road I've been on there's still been a good several feet, and even if there's not enough room cause a cars coming, as others said, you seriously can't wait a few seconds more to go?

Maybe you're one of those people whose paranoid as hell and thinks for some reason a person cannot keep a bike on a straight line and is going to swerve all over the road unintentionally or something. That's like thinking an oncoming car passes that it'll swerve at you, lolol.

Anyways, fellow bicyclers, isn't the funniest thing when cars go ALL THE WAY into the other lane to pass? Like they need 12 feet of room. Also, when they do it up hills. Really, is that safer guys?

And the most annoying thing, when a car feels a need to beep when its 3 feet behind you, thinking you don't know it's there, and instead all it does is make you go 'oh shit this guy must be about to hit me or something.'
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Quote by UncleRemus
It's a relevant question. People choose to cycle to save money on gas and reduce emissions. Where are they supposed to ride if not on the road? And the sidewalk is an unacceptable answer as bikes are closer in speed to cars than pedestrians and are more dangerous to riders and walkers alike on the sidewalk.

Really? We rode bikes all over the place when I was a kid, and I do it now, and I can honestly say I've never mowed down a group of unaware passersby.

But let's indulge your theory - suppose I'm biking on the road as you say, and a car veers to go around me. Someone cuts the corner/light early, there's a collision which becomes a pile up, and a car skids out across the lanes and onto the sidewalk.

Had I been on the sidewalk, this wouldn't have happened, and now a group of walkers are mangled by the Oldsmobile that was hit twice and run off the road for trying to go around me - a cyclist - who has no real business driving on the street because I'm not driving a car, and I expect the world to alter because I'm where I am.

Sure, that's theoretical, but no less wildly imagined than one person on a bicycle taking out twelve walkers on a sidewalk because he wasn't in the road. I've seen accidents involving cars hitting people unrelated to the accident and not even on the road, but I can't say I've ever seen a bicycle take out a group of people.

Quote by BigBigWater
And I personally don't think cars belong anywhere. They should be removed from existence for countless reasons.

I agree. I don't like cars, and that's why I don't have one. I, for one, feel they're pretty shitty, and riding a bike should be fine.

However, that's not how it is.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by strat0blaster
Really? We rode bikes all over the place when I was a kid, and I do it now, and I can honestly say I've never mowed down a group of unaware passersby.

But let's indulge your theory - suppose I'm biking on the road as you say, and a car veers to go around me. Someone cuts the corner/light early, there's a collision which becomes a pile up, and a car skids out across the lanes and onto the sidewalk.

Had I been on the sidewalk, this wouldn't have happened, and now a group of walkers are mangled by the Oldsmobile that was hit twice and run off the road for trying to go around me - a cyclist - who has no real business driving on the street because I'm not driving a car, and I expect the world to alter because I'm where I am.

Sure, that's theoretical, but no less wildly imagined than one person on a bicycle taking out twelve walkers on a sidewalk because he wasn't in the road. I've seen accidents involving cars hitting people unrelated to the accident and not even on the road, but I can't say I've ever seen a bicycle take out a group of people.

If people follow the rules of the road that kind of thing doesn't happen. Obviously kids can ride on the sidewalk because they don't ride quickly. Anyone cycling to commute moves far to fast for safety on the sidewalk. Plus when crossing streets from the sidewalk, drivers can miss a fast-moving bike when making a turn, but if the bike is on the road it is a part of traffic and therefore much safer.
Last.fm

I love riding. I at one point had hopes of riding competitively. That dream crashed around me a few weeks before my first race. My rear derailleur broke and I didn't have the money to fix it. A little over two years later and I finally have the funds to get started again.
Right now I'm in the process of rebuilding my bike. Its a no brand aluminum frame with full Shimano 105 gruppo and lower end Alexis wheelset. I'm going to use this bike to get back into riding but in the end I want to be riding a Kestrel RT series.

I think that sums things up.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by UncleRemus
If people follow the rules of the road that kind of thing doesn't happen. Obviously kids can ride on the sidewalk because they don't ride quickly. Anyone cycling to commute moves far to fast for safety on the sidewalk. Plus when crossing streets from the sidewalk, drivers can miss a fast-moving bike when making a turn, but if the bike is on the road it is a part of traffic and therefore much safer.

There's your problem.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
There's your problem.

Well it's a very easy problem to fix for a driver: drive carefully. Done.

Also, a heads-up cyclist is usually very aware of what's going on and obviously accidents happen sometimes, but if someone wants to choose to commute via bicycle, they are safer on the road then the sidewalk and should have the right to be treated as traffic by cars.
Last.fm

Quote by UncleRemus
Well it's a very easy problem to fix for a driver: drive carefully. Done.

Also, a heads-up cyclist is usually very aware of what's going on and obviously accidents happen sometimes, but if someone wants to choose to commute via bicycle, they are safer on the road then the sidewalk and should have the right to be treated as traffic by cars.

It sure is an easy problem to fix. Now since it's so simple, I'll expect you to tackle the five hundred people I see daily on the way to and from work texting on their phones and stuffing their faces instead of focusing on the road and the people driving around them.

Here's the thing, man. Just because something's right doesn't mean it's what people do, and you're plain delusional if you're suggesting that you can trust people to just drive safely because it's the right thing to do. I can't even count all the assholes that drive like complete morons, and they're everywhere.
You wanna take that risk, be my guest. I'm not good with that.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

Here's the thing, man. Just because something's right doesn't mean it's what people do, and you're plain delusional if you're suggesting that you can trust people to just drive safely because it's the right thing to do. I can't even count all the assholes that drive like complete morons, and they're everywhere.
You wanna take that risk, be my guest. I'm not good with that.

I understand that, my point is cyclists have every right to be on the road and be treated with respect. People do drive like assholes but I fail to see how the fact that some people drive irresponsibly means bike commuters have to stay on the sidewalk, which is actually more dangerous than riding on the road (http://ccbike.org/articles/is-it-safe-to-ride-on-the-sidewalk/).
Last.fm

Page 1 of 5