I noticed the American Standard is slightly more expensive. Does anyone have an idea of what the difference could be?
I know they have different pickups, and I actually find the texas specials more appealing. But what other features separates the two?
Last edited by Saesang at Jun 23, 2011,
The American Special is made in USA and the Standard is made in Mexico, but besides that the Special has a better finish and the hardware/construction is somewhat sturdier, plus the Texas Special pickups and the tone circuit is differente, it uses Greasebucket circuit vs regular circuit found in the Standard...
Quote by Koolaid Kid
The American Special is made in USA and the Standard is made in Mexico, but besides that the Special has a better finish and the hardware/construction is somewhat sturdier, plus the Texas Special pickups and the tone circuit is differente, it uses Greasebucket circuit vs regular circuit found in the Standard...

I meant the American Standard, not the Mexican
Oh sorry, then in that case the only downsides I see are, the tuning machines on the Special are slightly inferior to the ones on the Standard, nothing that will get you in trouble but if you have both of them in front of you, you will notice...
Also the bridge is a little different, and the Standard comes with a Hardcase, and the Special comes with a Gig bag (Not bad, but its almost a $100 more), you can try them both and see for yourself, I find the Special more suited to my playing style, a little more agressive and I can get better playing dynamics with the Texas Specials than with the stock pickups from the standard that you need to push them a little with some boost/overdrive to get a crunchy sound out of them, but if your playing style is cleaner and want big headroom on your tube amp, or you just want a more collectable strat, you can get the Standard.
Quote by Koolaid Kid
Oh sorry, then in that case the only downsides I see are, the tuning machines on the Special are slightly inferior to the ones on the Standard, nothing that will get you in trouble but if you have both of them in front of you, you will notice...
Also the bridge is a little different, and the Standard comes with a Hardcase, and the Special comes with a Gig bag (Not bad, but its almost a $100 more), you can try them both and see for yourself, I find the Special more suited to my playing style, a little more agressive and I can get better playing dynamics with the Texas Specials than with the stock pickups from the standard that you need to push them a little with some boost/overdrive to get a crunchy sound out of them, but if your playing style is cleaner and want big headroom on your tube amp, or you just want a more collectable strat, you can get the Standard.

Ah, thank you very much.
Well..aggression is not my top priority, but I find the Texas Special has a charming belll-like chime, and a shimmery sparkle.
Sorry, I am not a native speaker: what does headroom mean?
One thing to keep in mind are the jumbo frets on the Special. They're not just big, they're huge. If you're not used to that, then it may take a bit to get comfortable with them. Since they're so big, the action of the strings need to be a bit higher than normal. Also the Texas Special pickups are very hot. Almost gritty. Like having a tube screamer built into them. Hardly bell like chime. So adjust the pickup height to your liking. Not a bad guitar for the money, just takes a little getting used to compared to the Standard.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by Saesang
Ah, thank you very much.
Well..aggression is not my top priority, but I find the Texas Special has a charming belll-like chime, and a shimmery sparkle.
Sorry, I am not a native speaker: what does headroom mean?

Headroom just means how clean your amp stays, the more you push it.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
IMO texas specials are the greatest pups fender makes. They absolutely SCREAM blues in my strat while still doing amazing SC cleans, so if you can adjust to the jumbos I say go for the special. They're both made in USA so the build quality should be close enough to the same that the difference(if any) is neglible. Strats are very modular so obviously anything you don't like(aside from the frets) are very easily changed, but if the MIA standard plays/sounds better to you obviously get that one.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It's mostly a preference thing IMO.
They sound a bit different and feel different, biggest factors are the frets, the pickups and the bridge IMO. Build quality is about the same, Specials are a bit more likely to have unfinished fret ends, but it's nothing too tragic and nothing you couldn't fix yourself if you unfortunately have those.
The humbuckers aren't that great in both of them IMO, however, I prefered the Texas Specials to the Tex Mex. You get nice cleans and nice dirty tones too, they are supposed to be pretty much Fender's most versatile singlecoils.
the trem is probably the biggest diff. special has an old style 6 screw and the standard has a 2 point trem. i believe the humbucker is the same but the single coils are a litle different. special has the 70s large headstock if that makes a diff.