Hey guys,

I have an ESP Eclipse-II that I got setup like 3 weeks ago, but I'm noticing some minor tuning issues. It's not major, so maybe I'm being too uptight about it, but I have a crappy $200 Oscar Schmidt strat copy that hasn't been setup in years that stays in tune better. I've played guitar for 10 years, and I've had all my guitars serviced by the same guy in all those 10 years. He has always done a perfect job with my guitars, so I have no reason to believe it was a sloppy setup job.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the bridge? My ESP uses a Gotoh TOM Bridge & tailpiece, so it's very similar to the Les Paul bridges. Before I got my Eclipse-II, I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I had the same tuning issues, even after getting a setup. I'm so frustrated right now - my $200 strat copy that I've treated like crap over the years is staying in tune better than my $2000+ ESP that I just recently got setup. I always keep my guitars in their hard shell cases, and the humidity levels are fine in my room.

To be more specific, my ESP seems to go out of tune somewhat easily. It's definitely not major, but it's enough that I can clearly notice it. The intonation sounds a bit off too, and I know an intonation was done when I last brought my guitar into the shop.

Does string tension have anything to do with this? My ESP was strung with more slack than I'm used to, but I figured this was intentional. The string tension on my Oscar Schmidt is pretty high, and it kills my fingers if I do too many bends or play for too long so I definitely like more slack in the strings.

If you guys could shed some light on this, that'd be amazing. I just want to enjoy my sweet ESP, but the tuning issues are really making me not want to play it

Edit: I also tune my ESP every time I play it. I don't bother with my Oscar Schmidt, though. Could this constant re-tuning be responsible? Could this also loosen the machine heads, and could that be a factor as well?
Last edited by buttershaft at Jun 23, 2011,
Did it occur to you that the strings have to streach a lil before they'll lock into tune? and are you drop tuning because he might have used a lighter gauge string than what you used and bang theres your problem.
if it's got a new set of strings then that may be the case. new strings can take a few weeks to fully adjust and stay in tune.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I've got it on half-step down with 10 guage strings. I specifically asked them to put it in half-step down, so all the adjustments should have been made with that in consideration.

I've definitely been stretching the strings lightly too. Before I play, I give the strings a few light tugs upward and then tune them.
I've always heard pretty good things about Gotoh bridges, so I'm reluctant to call it that just yet. Your saddles and nut may have some minor burs that you cant see, so a little bit of fine grit sanding in those areas followed by a tiny bit of lubricant may solve your problem.

I dunno how your setup is but it's HIGHLY recommended to have 2-3 wraps of string around the tuning post.

Finally I'd take a look at the tuning machines and bridge as a whole. I'm not saying your tech did a crappy job, but everybody misses a step once in a while. If something is a little off in one of those areas that could be the cause for your problems.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by repairmanjack
I've always heard pretty good things about Gotoh bridges, so I'm reluctant to call it that just yet. Your saddles and nut may have some minor burs that you cant see, so a little bit of fine grit sanding in those areas followed by a tiny bit of lubricant may solve your problem.

I dunno how your setup is but it's HIGHLY recommended to have 2-3 wraps of string around the tuning post.

Finally I'd take a look at the tuning machines and bridge as a whole. I'm not saying your tech did a crappy job, but everybody misses a step once in a while. If something is a little off in one of those areas that could be the cause for your problems.

What should I be looking for on my tuning machines? They were apparently loose when I brought it in, but they fixed that. And what about the bridge? Am I right to assume you mean to check the saddles and intonation? Does the bridge play a role in tuning stability? (sorry for the newb questions; I know absolutely nothing about guitars lol)
if the tuners are loose,

or if the string contact points are not lubed,

then strings can fall out of tune.

if the strings are new, then play the guitar a lot for the next day or so.
see if the strings work in a little more and hold a tune better.

if they don't then post up in the setup thread and i'll help you keep your
guitar in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if the tuners are loose,

or if the string contact points are not lubed,

then strings can fall out of tune.

if the strings are new, then play the guitar a lot for the next day or so.
see if the strings work in a little more and hold a tune better.

if they don't then post up in the setup thread and i'll help you keep your
guitar in tune.

Actually now that you mention it, I don't think the contact points are lubed up. I don't recall my tech ever lubing up the contact points for any of my guitars, ever. I've never gotten the twanging sound of the strings jumping when I tune up, though. Maybe my ESP just has a good nut? Either way, good call . I'll lube up the contact points tonight. And I'll keep stretching out the strings and playing lots too, of course. Hopefully it's just an issue of lubing :P.

Can constant re-tuning cause the tuning machines to loosen?
they shouldnt loosen from use.

definitely not all of them and especially not on expensive guitars.

checking intonation is a simple thing to do.

so, use and lube and check tuning at the 12th.

see if this all helps.

if not, then consider locking tuners.
not expensive, simple to mod, and effective.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah that's what I figured. The tuning machines were tightened when I got my guitar serviced anyway, so I'm not too worried about it. I was just wondering if they can loosen from use or if it was just a slip-up from the manufacturing side. I'm a paranoid person in general, but especially so with my guitars so I think everything will mess with the setup heh.

And my ESP comes with locking tuners . Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners to be precise. I don't know how good they're supposed to be, but I assume they're of good quality.

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone! Hopefully it'll be a simple fix, and I can finally start enjoying my ESP finally.