In your opinion, which song has the best mix ?

Mine would be Deycfer Down's materials
The symphonizer
St Anger ololololol

Seriously I'd say Dark Side of the Moon
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
i really really really like "the wall", i thought it was mixed really well for being as dynamic as it is.

also master of puppets, i always thought that for what they were working with they got an incredible sound.

trent reznor always has an awesome mix as well.

now i'm a little depressed wishing i was as good as any of these back to the mixing console for more tweakage and practice....
NiN: The Downward Spiral or The Fragile. There is just something to it...chaotic, with so much going on, but yet it sounds right...
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 23, 2011,
A Perfect Circle- 13th Step

Just wow, that snare, and that bass guitar.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Quote by FireHawk
NiN: The Downward Spiral or The Fragile. There is just something to it...chaotic, with so much going on, but yet it sounds right...

This

And Radiohead's Ok Computer, amazing production.
Def Leppard - Hysteria (Mutt Lange)
American Hi-Fi (self-titled) - Bob Rock

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Will Putney's production on The Human Abstract's Digital Veil is possibly the best metal mix i've ever heard. The guitars especially sound absolutely fantastic.
Unearth - The March (Produced and mixed by Adam D and Andy Sneap) Aside from the irritating clipping at the start of two tracks, this is a masterclass in modern metal production as far as I'm concerned.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by barden1069
St Anger ololololol
n

I actually don't mind the mix on St. Anger, as Bob Rock said, the idea was to make it sound like a band jamming in a garage for the first time except from the fact that band was Metallica
With that as a reference point, I think they did exactly what they set out to achieve, my problems with them creating 7 minute songs using just 3 riffs...

In terms of my favourite mix, I have a few but the one that continually stands out to me as something I'd love to one day, not replicate but have a go at, is the mix of John Mayer's 'Room for Squares' album cos (to me at least) it sounds like a big, 'full' mix but I always get the feeling that theres a lot of space and depth in it.
Maybe thats just me though haha
I think the album "Junior" by Royksopp has one of the best mixes I've heard.

If we are talking best mix with guitar in mind, then "An Ocean Between Us" by As I Lay Dying. I do like a few of the other ones already mentioned on here as well.
As much as most, if not all, of yall will hate it, Nashville definitely pops out some impeccably mixed songs (that's country for those of you who don't know).
Probably Dark Side of the Moon.
When I think of great mixes the thing that springs to mind is always that explosion of sound and feeling at the start of Eclipse.

My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges album is also pretty amazing in this aspect.
I think anything from Motorhead's Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades albums.
I like how it sounds live but you know it was recorded in a studio. It sounds very natural and not even processed at all.
I like the raw sound in recordings. Not as far as it being one microphone set up in a room. That just ends up sounding shitty.
I like the raw sound when the band is actually properly recorded.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
I actually don't mind the mix on St. Anger, as Bob Rock said, the idea was to make it sound like a band jamming in a garage for the first time except from the fact that band was Metallica

I love early Metallica, and Bob Rock is right up there with Mutt Lange in my books for producers. I was so stoked when I heard the "we're returning to our roots.... a real metal album.... Bob Rock....." I mean, I almost wet myself.

And then to hear it. Man. I get what he was after, but there is a difference between sounding like a band jamming in a garage for the first time and a snare drum sounding like a tin can.

I think if he really wanted that sound, he should have taken a few great mics, set them up in an actual garage, and hit record. Make sure the mics are set back far enough from the sources to get some mic bleed and capture the sound of the crappy room. Bring the tracks back to a studio and mix it up like he knows how. It would have sounded like a real band in a garage, except the mix would beat the s**t out of everything in the "rate my mix" threads. As it was, it sounds like it was mixed by a ten year old on a boom box.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Radiohead's OK Computer,
Porcupine Tree's Fear Of A Blank Planet,
QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf (sure its compressed to hell and back but it has so much life!)
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jun 25, 2011,
I totally agree with Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Comfortably Numb, especially, simply because there are SO MANY ambient guitar parts during the song that you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it, and they are combined to make this great aural landscape.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by axemanchris
I love early Metallica, and Bob Rock is right up there with Mutt Lange in my books for producers. I was so stoked when I heard the "we're returning to our roots.... a real metal album.... Bob Rock....." I mean, I almost wet myself.

And then to hear it. Man. I get what he was after, but there is a difference between sounding like a band jamming in a garage for the first time and a snare drum sounding like a tin can.

I think if he really wanted that sound, he should have taken a few great mics, set them up in an actual garage, and hit record. Make sure the mics are set back far enough from the sources to get some mic bleed and capture the sound of the crappy room. Bring the tracks back to a studio and mix it up like he knows how. It would have sounded like a real band in a garage, except the mix would beat the s**t out of everything in the "rate my mix" threads. As it was, it sounds like it was mixed by a ten year old on a boom box.

CT

Haha, yeah I get what you mean man, I think part of the reason I sort of like St.Anger is cos when I was getting into Metallica a few years back, one of the first thing's I bought by them was the 'Some Kind of Monster' documentary lol, (not my wisest purchase admittedly but It's a good watch)
The tin can snare drum tone always reminds me of a really shit snare we had in the practice room at my old school, I guess the shoddy mixing just reminds me of crappy band practices I used to have when I was just starting out playing and stuff and that initial feeling of first playing music lol (...that sounded less gay in my head haha)

(Edit)P.S. Sorry for the swearing, i'm not sure if I need to edit it out or not? Just send me a reply or something if I do and I'll censor the post
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Jun 25, 2011,