Hey guys, recently I've been playing acoustic sets with my friend....He's an awesome singer and can write good songs...and he can make basic chord progressions....I add in vocal melody and lead fills ect ect....Well weve been playing quite frequently, and We both feel we need to take it up a notch. I try to tell him to learn some more theory and learn the fretboard for rythm playing, more chords, all that jazz haha, but anytime i mention he says "I don't belive in music theory" or "fuc-k music theory", and I try to tell him its not like getting lessons or like that, but like music theory is way of explaing music, and hell say he likes playing by improv/feel, and im like dude i do that when i play lead but you gotta learn the scales and theory and chord progressions to do that....So I want to be as nice as possible and try to explain to him what and why he should learn, but he's being real stubborn, So do you guys have anyway to nicley explain to him what I'm saying or do I basically have to be a d-weed and tell him forcefully in a way? I really dont want to be a dick but we wont go anywhere else if not thanks guys~peace and love guys
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Music theory helps you get to what you want faster.
You don't have to follow it strictly.. it just helps you "know" what you want to play next without taking forever to work it out with trial and error.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Jun 23, 2011,
maybe he genuinely sucks at theory you cant force him to learn it. And i know people who are amazing that don't know theory so you cant say you wont go anywhere. I say just practice, you said u started playing acoustic sets recently so it'll get better with time.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Music theory makes it easier to communicate with other musicians. It also cuts down the time you need to make songs because there is much less trial and error.

Musician Talk has threads on this topic fairly often. Just so a search for them and look through responses for things to tell your friend.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Show him without calling it theory If he doesn't know about theory, he won't know you're teaching it to him if you don't call it that, will he?

Just explain concepts to him in a way that's not so mathematical, and once he's gripped it and sees it's useful, let him know what he's been praising.

If he doesn't take to it, he's probably just not ready for it, man. There's nothing wrong with that, and if he's working well with you, why bother the setup?

And you don't 'have' to learn the scales and modes to improv, man. It just makes it easier to do it initially. You can play by ear if you've been doing it long enough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Show him without calling it theory If he doesn't know about theory, he won't know you're teaching it to him if you don't call it that, will he?

Just explain concepts to him in a way that's not so mathematical, and once he's gripped it and sees it's useful, let him know what he's been praising.

If he doesn't take to it, he's probably just not ready for it, man. There's nothing wrong with that, and if he's working well with you, why bother the setup?

And you don't 'have' to learn the scales and modes to improv, man. It just makes it easier to do it initially. You can play by ear if you've been doing it long enough.

very true, I was talking more of just learning the keys and how to put chords together n shit...becuase all he basically does is switch the chord G-C-D in different orders, which is totally cool, i just thought it would be neat if we could start learning more complex patterns to play on
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter