I'm just wondering and interested to how you other people write songs, because I usually write lyrics first then will write guitar and the other parts after the lyrics and I'm just wondering what everyone else does??
I don't write lyrics... I write instrumentals... but if I was to write lyrics, I'd write the music first, then lyrics
for a simple song i play a progression, improvise some lines with what i was to write about, write it down and ideas flow from there. i find it easier that way so i don't get too comfortable with something but cant seem to fit the right phrasing or melody in there.
I pick up my guitar, and start writing a song... theres really no formal process, it just kind of happens for me (usually after a wave of inspiration)
Lyrics first. For me, lyrics are everything.
When I feel I have something solid, I pull out my acoustic and play some progressions. Sometimes I use the piano, because my guitar chord knowledge is limited.
If I get stuck, I use my keyboard's drum loops to get my creative juices flowing again.
The most natural way for me is to write lyrics, then sing them so something my brother writes on guitar. He writes several bits of songs every day, so he always has some new material that fits any lyrics I want to try out.
same for me with the lauren girl.... lyrics, and naturally the music flows through me, but if i get stuck... well my music teacher helps me out
I usually do the lyrics first unless I have a good idea for the music.
For me It's first the guitar part and then the lyrics
Because I think it's much harder to write a riff according to my lyrics

and if you already have a guitar part, you can record it and then listen to it over and over again until you find something usefull

that's my way,
but of course there some songs that I already had the lyrics and then made the guitar part.
but for me it's a much harder process than writing the guitar part first

cheers
Metal1ty
90% of Computer Problems are between Chair and Keyboard
Honestly... lyrics mean nothing.

I write my verse and then bridge. because writing the bridge last is a chore for me, I feel I always need to write it with the verse instead of chorus.

I let the music dictate the lyrics. I have more songs without lyrics that with because sometimes I'll tear it around so much I actually have switched choruses with other songs. If I wrote the lyrics first, I'd have horrible music and then good lyrics. If you write the lyrics first, then that puts severe limits on the music itself; it makes it sound shitty, or just loses potential if you had a good riff but can't do much with it because of the lyrics.

What do you do first, bake the cookies then make the recipe? Or make the recipe and then the cookies?
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by Nathy137
I'm just wondering and interested to how you other people write songs, because I usually write lyrics first then will write guitar and the other parts after the lyrics and I'm just wondering what everyone else does??

Same bro. It's a lot easier but I sometimes find my guitar parts are boring when I do that. At least they're melodic.
I usually write a chorus first and then the verses and other stuff and the rhythem comes with the lyrics for me. Then i sit by a piano and figure out riffs,solos, and chords! Then i put my final edit into the song and then I record.
I usually start with a concept or a line that I want to write a song around. Maybe I have a few lines or a whole chorus, then I play around for a progression, then I write the rest of the song over the music.
I usually write my music first then hum melodys over it and fit in words. My lyrics are awful on paper so I like to have a melodic background beforehand.
Music first, errday. I'm not so blessed as to be able to create lyrics out of thin air, so I write the music first, generally verse-chorus-bridge, in that order. Then ad-lib or sing whatever come to mind when playing the progression until a decent line comes out and do that for the rest of the song. Needless to say, it's not the most efficient process, but it works for someone who has no intent of earning a living from music.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.