I am curious what you guys all think makes a band sound good as a whole when you listen to them live.

What brings this up is I find that a lot of bands I hear around locally just sound like a big huge mesh of a bunch of instruments and they really don't have one general direction that they all go with a song. It just ends up sounding muddy and all strung together without that clear tension being built around a good riff that people can get into... I do listen to a lot of metal but I just notice that a lot of bands that fail seem to sound like everyone is doing something different at once and that the instruments are hard to separate.

Is there any kind of topic or column regarding making your music more clear and focused so that someone who has never heard it before can still listen and get into it? I think some of that has to do with song structure and some with playing technique, but it is something that I've always had a hard time defining and I'm wondering if someone else has ever thought of this also and how to distinguish between bands that have it and don't have it and how to NOT do it when I make my own music.

A lot of the bands that sound like this have two guitarists by the way - I love a good guitar duo though if they can harmonize such as Trivium, BFMV, hell even Metallica. So what separates those good bands that sound awesome with two guitars to those bad bands that sound terrible with two guitarists?

Not sure if this is the right forum so I'm sorry if it's not!
Quote by Exodus04

Is there any kind of topic or column regarding making your music more clear and focused so that someone who has never heard it before can still listen and get into it? I think some of that has to do with song structure and some with playing technique, but it is something that I've always had a hard time defining and I'm wondering if someone else has ever thought of this also and how to distinguish between bands that have it and don't have it and how to NOT do it when I make my own music.

A lot of the bands that sound like this have two guitarists by the way - I love a good guitar duo though if they can harmonize such as Trivium, BFMV, hell even Metallica. So what separates those good bands that sound awesome with two guitars to those bad bands that sound terrible with two guitarists?

Practice, precision, chemistry, practice, songwriting skill, and practice.

These are what separate the crappy mushy bands from the nice, tight, and cohesive bands.
Ya I do happen to do that, but the thing is not every band sounds as bad live, at the same venue :P I am not really sure how to ask this question.

It's almost like you just have to hear it to be able to know what I'm talking about.

A good way to put it is what makes a band sound good and make it so you can actually understand all the notes the first time you hear them. Some bands you have to listen to their CD like 5 times then you can understand it perfectly live, or close enough, but that's only because you know what it's supposed to sound like in your head.

A great example of this would be Soilwork. They sounded amazing live the first time I heard them. Even the songs I hadn't heard before I could understand fully, not just talking about vocals either. Maybe this is just due to bands having sloppy guitarists that don't know how to mute properly and throw in too many distorted notes, or maybe it's something else I can't describe.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Practice, precision, chemistry, practice, songwriting skill, and practice.

These are what separate the crappy mushy bands from the nice, tight, and cohesive bands.

I think you have a valid point here - makes me wonder if it has something to do with song structure too, you know. Making it sound "familiar" yet different so that someone who hasn't heard it before, but has heard a "familiar" style of song. I'm just starting to get into song structure so maybe it's just because I don't know yet
Quote by Exodus04
I think you have a valid point here - makes me wonder if it has something to do with song structure too, you know. Making it sound "familiar" yet different so that someone who hasn't heard it before, but has heard a "familiar" style of song. I'm just starting to get into song structure so maybe it's just because I don't know yet

Structure has a lot to do with it. But even complex structures don't usually take away from a song. It's when the song has no focus that it loses it's appeal. Take "The Mirror" from Chimp Spanner, for example. It only repeats one riff and that's right in the beginning. Everything after is completely new and never repeated. But the song sounds great and flows well.

Then there's just about every pop song on the radio. A very, VERY familiar structure with a chorus that repeats a lot. Sometimes, too much. Many-a-time I've been listening to what could have been a good/catchy song only to think "They just did this 3 times in teh past minute...".

I might be a little biased in that example, but still