Hi! Recently I am trying to change my technique and play unanchored, but I'm really confused and I have some questions about it and I would really really appreciate if somebody could help me. I will post some photos to better explain what I’m trying to say.

1. First of all, playing unanchored means not touching the guitar with the right palm at all, like floating? I have read the "READ THIS STICKY " thread and it says "you shold have left all contact with the guitar". So basically the right hand doesn't touch the guitar at all? But how can I stop the strings from ringing out?

Or is it like this person explains in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_fqkNglmGA&t=3m50s
(placing the bottom part of your right hand on the strings and making a loose fist ).

In the first photo the bottom part of my right hand is staying on the bottom strings and the bridge.

2. Also, my thumb should be parallel to the strings or not? I find that when it is parallel the pick is perpendicular to the string I’ m picking (photo2) and when my thumb is not parallel, there is a small angle between the pick and the string - i find it easier to play this way-(photo 3).

3. Also is it ok to let my fingers float around when I play power chords? I find it much easier to palm mute that way.
Thank you!!!
I pick the same way and it does not impede my progress whatsoever.

1: anchoring is playing with tension because you anchor your hand to the body of the guitar. Try moving your hand up one centimeter - if your an anchorer, you'll play noticably worse.
2. I myself prefer playing guitar with a 45 degree angle. It makes alternate picking easier.
3. Does it sound good? Then yes.
Yeah
Quote by s31770
are you pressing down your palm whilst picking i take it?

I'm just resting it on the strings, there's no tension
I always thought anchoring was keeping your right pinky on the pick guard when you play and use that as a pivot point almost. I really think that it doesn't even ****ing matter whether you anchor or not because I switch back and forth from anchoring sometimes just to see which one is better and I don't see a difference to be honest.
I do the same, it's fine. As long as you are not applying pressure anywhere with your right hand you are fine.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
1. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19127307&postcount=12

It actually says it's fine to touch the guitar and to mute strings, just that it's not good to "fix" your hand to one point.

2. If you hold your hand like this and aren't pressing into the guitar, that's cool!

Imo the thumb should be pretty much parallel with the strings. The angle you're making only really helps with downstrokes. Not such a big deal though.

3. Your fingers should always be relaxed - for me that means they end up in a loose fist. Your mileage may vary.
I'm trying to play not anchoring too and when I first tried it, it was like, really weird and unnatural, almost like my hand was in an anti-gravity chamber or something, lol, but after a few days of practice its beginning to feel better. I don't touch any part of the guitar with my hand, its floating above the strings and I can play that way about just as quickly as when I anchored (about 16ths at 95bpm, or so, cleanly). Most of the guitar teachers I've spoken with have said its the most efficient way of playing, but, truth be told, lots of guys who anchor are incredible players, so...
1.) Anchoring is only harmful when you actually physically anchor yourself to the guitar. It's not anchoring for you to rest any part of your hand on the guitar as long as you aren't actually creating tension in your hand. I find that when I relax my hand, my fingers naturally end up resting in what looks like an anchored position, yet they are completely relaxed.

Some people recommend forming a loose fist, like the guy in the video you posted and some players I've read posts and columns from. To do that, for me at least, I have to actively tense my hand to form that grip. That tension is bad, regardless of whether or not my hand is touching the guitar. Instead, I've found it to be much more comfortable to simply completely relax my picking hand aside from my index finger and my thumb. One guy who has a similar grip is a fellow named Uli Jon Roth, famous for playing with the Scorpions. A guy called KillrBuckeye on YouTube went from a loose fist to the "dead fish" grip that Roth uses and said that it really improved his muting, IIRC. Keep that option in mind as well.

Your hand looks fine and it should be as long as there is no excess tension required to hold your hand like that. Resting your arm on the guitar is fine and much more comfortable. I have never seen someone play without any kind of contact between his picking hand/arm and the guitar body. For one thing, especially if you're playing an electric, that would make muting a real challenge, considering you don't have the side of your picking hand to silence string noise.

2.) As for picking angle, most players don't recommend that you play perpendicular to the string. When you're picking, it helps to hold the pick at an angle (look up Paul Gilbert's instructional videos on picking for a better explanation). I personally don't place my hand parallel to the strings and my playing is thus far uninhibited (and I play some pretty technical stuff, so, in my case at least, the angle of my picking hand relative to the strings is not a big deal).

3.) Yes, you're fine to let your fingers just fly around as long as they aren't hitting anything or creating tension. Really, anything goes with picking technique as long as you can cleanly play the notes you want to, you can silence unwanted string noise, your free fingers aren't interfering with your playing, and you don't have excess tension in your hand/wrist/arm. As long as you fit those criteria, you can do pretty much anything you want.
You do exactly what I do, which is rest your hand on the bridge when you pick or play. That's just fine, I find it works great and is very relaxing on the hand.

The only time it would cause a problem is if your bridge was floating, on Strats a floating bridge does not like your hand resting on it, makes it sound warbaly.