I was wondering what kind of size/wattage etc. amp would be reasonable for playing bars/pubs/clubs and small gigs with. It would need to be able to compete with the rest of a band of course, so what should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance... I hope.
Does the club/bars have a PA system that you would be using? Also what kind of cab are you using. 4x12? 1x12?
Hmmm... unfortunately, I can answer neither of these questions as I'm not thinking very specifically. I guess for arguments sake, there's no PA, and I have no cab at the moment.
Wattage doesnt always indicate loudness. 100W of tubes will be louder than 100W of transistor amp.

If you want a generalised answer, 120W solid state will easily work for a gig, and like 75W of tubes would be good for a gig.

But this can alter between different brands as well, so try before you buy.
Ok, thanks a lot! I just wanted a ball park figure so I know what to try out. So thanks for your help!
It'll largely depend on the drummer and style of music, mostly in relation to how much head room you need. Plus some amps with the same watt rating are a lot louder than others due to speaker efficiency, etc.

30 watts valve should be loud enough unmic'ed in any situation but with the right drummer and if you're ok with sacrificing any cleans, so can 15 watts. And while it won't improve headroom, an extension cab will greatly improve sound projection.

On the whole, though, I'd say 30 watts valve will be more than loud enough unless you're playing a stadium.
Last edited by Lest at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Lest

30 watts valve should be loud enough unmic'ed in any situation but with the right drummer and if you're ok with sacrificing any cleans, so can 15 watts. And while it won't improve headroom, an extension cab will greatly improve sound projection.

This. I run a 15W valve amp unmiced and don't even have to run the amp flat out (volume at about 7-8). I run the amp through a single 1x12 custom Weber speaker. Having a good speaker efficiency makes all the difference. This is more than enough to compete with a very loud drummer and a bassist with a 600W bass stack (solid state). If you want more clean headroom, just throw a 5751 or 12AT7/12AY7 into V1 preamp position. I'm running a 5751 in my amp and i can still get nice cleans even with amp cranked right up.
Remember, any venue that requires more than about 30W valve is probably going to mic the amps anyway, so massive 100W valve stacks aren't really necessary unless you are more concerned with image or deafening everyone in a 500 yard radius.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by Shayden2008
Wattage doesnt always indicate loudness. 100W of tubes will be louder than 100W of transistor amp.

If you want a generalised answer, 120W solid state will easily work for a gig, and like 75W of tubes would be good for a gig.

But this can alter between different brands as well, so try before you buy.

way too much juice for the average bar/club gig...

I agree with the folks who said 15-30 tube watts. That's plenty...if you need to be louder for a bigger venue, you should mic your amp anyways.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
"Concerned with image or deafening everyone in a 500 yard radius." Haha, I can pretty safely promise that neither of these things are my top priorities!