i see a ton of free videos but im still having trouble learning anything and having it sound the same as the video. do lessons with a private teacher really give you that much better an experience? are they worth the large cost?
Short answer, yes. You learn so much faster and you can assured that what you're learning is actually right.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Short answer, yes. You learn so much faster and you can assured that what you're learning is actually right.

qft

a teacher will be able to show you something AND be able to correct it if you're doing something wrong. a video just shows you how to do something(probably with a bad explanation as to how to do it).
Too poor for lessons, university tuition has sucked out my life savings...

But well, I'm still doing fine. It's a bit slow, but I'm still learning
Yeah they are massively helpful for the reasons the guys above me have already said, but if you're really skint then I would reccomend the Justinguitar series or Dave Wieners Riff The Week for video tuition, both are completely free and very well done.

Dave Wiener is Steve Vai's guitarist, so he knows his stuff and is very comprehensive in terms of lessons showing you how to apply the stuff you learn as well as teaching it to you.
Quote by mysterion2112
qft

a teacher will be able to show you something AND be able to correct it if you're doing something wrong. a video just shows you how to do something(probably with a bad explanation as to how to do it).

That's what I said.... You just agreed with me?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
That's what I said.... You just agreed with me?

Thats what I thought also.

I also agree with you.

Make sure you get a good teacher though.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
It depends on your teacher, and how dedicated you are to practicing. Having a good teacher will help you stay structured in your learning path, and help you know where you stand, and what you're actually improving, so it's a more focused way of learning for people who have little self motivation, or don't know where to start.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Yes and no.

MAINLY yes!
But if you get a teacher who sucks on one hand, or wants to form you into a Jazz player when you're a metal player on the other that won't mix well.

... don't get me wrong, a Jazz teacher would be ****ing amazing and make you God, but most beginners need someone in their field to get them over that hump... then diversifying is way more fun/easier.
: )
truly depends on quality of instructor, but a tutor should be able to point out when you do something wrong, which can help because once you learn something wrong, its a pain in the ass to correct it...