So I bought a Martin Dx1rae about a month ago and it seemed perfect then, the action, the tone and everything seemed flawless (maybe i was just in love) But since then I have moved to Japan and it seems like this on of a bitch just got harder to play and fretting barre chords was never so tiring for me. I did move up a gauge from .12 to .13s but I also noticed that the action seemed to become increasingly higher then before.

The problem is that the guitar neck has no bow or looks like it needs any adjustments but the action is just way too high. Should I fiddle with the truss rod or leave it be and just train my fingers to work harder?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
"Should i fiddle with the truss rod?" Only if you want to buy a new guitar. If you need to ask this,

PLEASE take it into the store and get it setup properly. Cheers
First off, since you did move to a different country, your acoustic guitar could have drastic changes due to climate changes and all that. Second, you went from a .012 gauge to a .013, that causes more tension and will pull the neck forward since they are thicker strings. You can adjust the truss rod, if you still dont like it, then move back to the .012 gauge.
The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action. It is for adjusting neck bow--angle of the strings in relation to the neck.

Do not treat it as such.

If your guitar is really that hard to play, then get it adjusted by a guitar tech.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The area you live in is probably a lot different in humidity, so that's where your problem probably comes from, but there are tests you can do, to see what needs adjusting.

To see whether you need to adjust the truss rod (and I wouldn't advise actually doing it yourself, if you don't feel confident), put a capo on fret 1, and use one finger to fret the guitar at the 14th fret. Now, either use a feeler gauge (thickness gauge) or a credit card, and slide it between the string, and the top of the 7th fret.

If its too high (higher than the thickness of a bank card), then you have too much relief. This is likely, because you have moved up string gauge, probably without adjustment, and also, moved to an area with different humidity. Relief is how straight your neck is, and should not be interpreted as action.

Other things to take into consideration is the saddle and nut. Is the string height more than 3-5mm, between the string and the top of the 12th fret? I keep mine at about 2.5mm, with 12s, for fingerstyle, but its a personal thing, and you sound like you need a lower string height.

If you insist on keeping .013s on your guitar (which make it pretty hard to play anway, unless you play really hard), then I would suggest taking it to a guitar tech, and have him set it up for mediums, for you.
1st off humidity change will cause problems with both the action and the truss rod. Chances are your guitar needs both adjusted

2nd increasing strings to 13's on an X series isn't a great idea. Those guitars are built pretty light so you don't get "better" tone with heavier strings like you do on the martins of old. Switching back to 12's, or even 11's should do a lot to fix your problems and it'll be easier on the guitar's top and neck.

3rd, the other guys were right when they said a truss rod adjustment isn't the way to fix action. I do belive you need a truss rod adjustment but it's also clear that you need to be shown how to do it. Most tech will show you what to do at no extra cost when you take the guitar to them for the 1st adjustment.
Not taking any online orders.
Truss rod adjustment does affect action... lack of, or too much of relief will cause the action to change..
The truss rod does affect action but isn't what you need to adjust in order to change the action. When people try and change action with the trussrod it almost always makes the less playable and often times causes unfixable damage.

Adjusting the truss rod doesn't have an even effect on action across the neck which means that trying to change action with it doesn't work. Try to increase action by loosening the trussrod will raise the string further from the neck but when you fret the upper frets you will still get buzz if you had that buzz before. If you try and decrease your action by tightening the trussrod you can still have uncomfortably high action at the top frets while getting buzzing on the lower frets.

So the proper thing to do is set the correct amount of relief and then set the action at the bridge by sanding, shimming, or replacing the saddle.
Not taking any online orders.