Hey all. Lately I've been looking at tube distortion pedals, like the Blackstar DistX or the Seymour Duncan Mayhem. They seem to sound good, but I have some questions about how they work. Do these essentially function as another preamp? And, if they do, will they clash with my amp's preamp? Also, I have a Valvestate 2000 AVT150 (if you're going to tell me to get a tube amp, skip to the second paragraph). If I turned up the gain on the pedal, and then turned up the gain on the amp's clean channel (which normally gives a warm crunch), would this create glorious saturation, or a horrible mess?

Now, for all those folk who want to tell me to get a new amp. Say I was willing to sell my Valvastate and some other things to get the cash and do it. What would you recommend? I play in a band, so it'd have to be at least as loud as the Valvestate, but cheap enough for a college student level budget ($600-$800 range at most).
Go with the Mayhem, look at youtube demos of it. I've never owned either pedals, but have heard good things about both.
the effect of two gain stages is never as dramatic as you'd expect. i played a fender supersonic with two gains and presuming we can generalise from that, a second gain will add compression and thickness, at least that's what fender say.
Quote by nickdohle
What type of music do you play?

Traditional Metal, Thrash, Grunge, and Hard Rock, mostly.
Quote by yudansha1201
Hey all. Lately I've been looking at tube distortion pedals, like the Blackstar DistX or the Seymour Duncan Mayhem. They seem to sound good, but I have some questions about how they work. Do these essentially function as another preamp? And, if they do, will they clash with my amp's preamp? Also, I have a Valvestate 2000 AVT150 (if you're going to tell me to get a tube amp, skip to the second paragraph). If I turned up the gain on the pedal, and then turned up the gain on the amp's clean channel (which normally gives a warm crunch), would this create glorious saturation, or a horrible mess?

Now, for all those folk who want to tell me to get a new amp. Say I was willing to sell my Valvastate and some other things to get the cash and do it. What would you recommend? I play in a band, so it'd have to be at least as loud as the Valvestate, but cheap enough for a college student level budget ($600-$800 range at most).

they work prety much the same as a regular distortion pedal except they have a tube as part of the circuit. unfortunatly the tubes are run with a high enough plate voltage to hit saturation point. i wouldn't count on anything glorious coming from a valvestate. get yourself an all tube amp instead of the half assed approach. oh and as i recal the tube in a valvestate only is used in the drive channel not the clean.
Quote by monwobobbo
oh and as i recal the tube in a valvestate only is used in the drive channel not the clean.

Really? That is interesting, I would have figured it was the reverse.
Quote by yudansha1201
Traditional Metal, Thrash, Grunge, and Hard Rock, mostly.

Go for a used JCM 800 if you can get one that cheap. Its a pretty good thrash and hard rock amp. So is the 900.
Effectrode Tube Overdrive. I'm sure with the right tubes, it can go pretty heavy.

http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-standout-stompbox-c-602_524/effectrode-tube-drive-overdrive-p-1253
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 24, 2011,