I'm looking at setting up a home recording studio but im on a pretty tight budget and id like to stay away from computer recording. I found a Tascam DP-01 for $125 and for head phones i was thinking the Sennheiser HD280.I'd be using the balanced line out (its an XLR) on my Crate bass amp after i run my guitar/bass through my pedal board. Could someone tell me if this a good setup and if it isn't what i should get instead? Thank You
im pretty satisfied with the sound coming out of my amp,so would this be necessary?
The sound coming out of your amp will be nothing like the sound you'll get from the XLR out.

Is there a particular reason you're wanting to stay away from computer recording? You will get much better results using an interface and a computer than you will with an 8 track.
oh,it wont sound worse,it'll just sound different right+and if i use the send out of my effects loop or something itll sound different to right? and im trying to stay away from computers because a) i dont have the money to but a better sound card along with everything else needed (my sound card is a piece of crap) and b) im trying to get that "analog warmth" or whatever that you can't get with digital,and i figured i could get more of a vintage feel or something.what would you recommend instead?
Quote by frodoargon
oh,it wont sound worse,it'll just sound different right+and if i use the send out of my effects loop or something itll sound different to right? and im trying to stay away from computers because a) i dont have the money to but a better sound card along with everything else needed (my sound card is a piece of crap) and b) im trying to get that "analog warmth" or whatever that you can't get with digital,and i figured i could get more of a vintage feel or something.what would you recommend instead?

'Analogue warmth' isn't something you gain by recording to any multi-track, not to mention that most multi-track recorders from the last decade are digital anyway! Digital recording alliws much more flexibility and functionality, and to be honest most people have misconceptions about analogue gear anyway and believe myths.

Wanna know why 2" tape is sought after by the old-school of producers? Because a) it's familiar to them, as they grew up with it; and b) because it is so inaccurate, and people developed a preference for the way tape EQ'd the signal.

It is getting easier and easier to replicate the so-called 'vintage'/'tape' sound with plug-ins that computers run with less strain on the CPU. It's the same story with valves and other components too.

Don't live with your head above the clouds, or you'll trip up on the small things below...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
oh well in that case,what would you recommend then,i thought multi-track because i figured it'd be to upgrade my soundcard along with everything else
Quote by frodoargon
what about the presonus audiobox?could that replace my soundcard as well?

I have an audiobox and I ****ing love it. I'm pretty sure you can use it as a sound card too.
Quote by frodoargon
what about the presonus audiobox?could that replace my soundcard as well?

Absolutely.
ok so right now ive decided on this: Shure SRH-44 PreSonus Audiobox.besides monitors is there anything im missing?
Last edited by frodoargon at Jun 25, 2011,