This is the only forum I thought this would fit into, move it if you want.

If there is wireless guitars, what about wireless vocals? Like a headset, using it as the same time as the wireless guitars. Would that cut into the guitar signal, and that is why noone has tried that yet?
I've seen people do that. And it does not cut into the guitar signal as long as the frequencies are different. I personally would rather sing into a microphone on a stand.
In my opinion, it makes you look like Joey Fatone instead of Jerry Cantrell or [Insert Talented Guitarist Here]
They make you look like a tool...
They sound like shit as well. I've had some experience with these wireless headsets and vocals with a band. Thank god there was a soundcheck.
The vocalist tried to use a headset and it sounded like someone pooping in a can. Serious.
I told the guy that he had to use an SM58 or he's not being heard. I suppose I'm an aggressive sound engineer.
..I was watching my death.
My old band's drummer used to use one for backing vocals and he eventually grew to hate it and just got a gooseneck mic stand.
Def Leppard used to have these for backing vocals, but they had a bigger budget than any of us.
You can get wireless systems for mics, both as a microphone that you hold, and as a headset.

As with any wireless system, you have to fork out quite a bit of $$$ to get good systems, but they have been professionally used for many, many years.

Here's some examples;

Wireless mic/guitar/bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjMUV-E1Do

Wireless headset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manxPVTLth8

Edit: It should be noted that the greatest disadvantage of a headset is that you cannot vary the distance from your mouth to the mic. As a result you have to try to stay at a constant volume, rather than moving away from the mic when you hit those "big" notes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by timbit2006

They sound like shit as well.

Tell that to Madonna, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Janet Jackson or virtually any other "singer/dancer" type performer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Tell that to Madonna, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Janet Jackson or virtually any other "singer/dancer" type performer.

CT

Can the TS afford 600 dollars for a good one?
Perhaps.
Is it really worth it?
Could be.

If you're shitting out money and can afford a really good one, go ahead.
**** I was hoping wireless shit didn't suck because I hate having to navigate around a **** load of cables and shit especially when the band who opens before you is ****ing retarded and has million FX pedals with 20 foot cables connecting each ****ing one.
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
**** I was hoping wireless shit didn't suck because I hate having to navigate around a **** load of cables and shit especially when the band who opens before you is ****ing retarded and has million FX pedals with 20 foot cables connecting each ****ing one.

Rip their cables out. Simple as that.
Don't do it if you are clearly not intimidating.
If you see a band before you doing this, ask them to make one cable run for each of them. Maybe ask them to move their pedalboards out of the way first.
I do hope you are over-exaggerating.

Wireless mics are good. I don't like the headsets.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Don't most of them lip sync?
I think a lot of us want to believe that, and there probably is *some* truth to it, but I think if they did, you would hear more about it. Remember that time when Brittney Spears got busted doing it? Everybody talked about it. If it happened more often, it wouldn't be news. If they all did it all the time, they'd all be getting busted from time to time, and they don't.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Bill Bailey uses a wireless headset all the time, and doesn't appear to suffer too many issues with it. So does Phil Collins on occasion (when playing In The Air Tonight, for example). Both have the money to get really good ones, however.

I think it's partly an image thing (and if you want to think about possible subconscious reasons for wanting a great big microphone near your mouth, go ahead) and partly, as AlanHB mentions, that they're harder to use.

EDIT:

Don't most of them lip sync?

Check out America/Britain's Got Talent, or the X Factor, or Eurovision, and see which groups are using headsets. At least some will be, and the entire point is that those are live performances.
Last edited by Samzawadi at Jun 26, 2011,