I play all kinds of different music genres. Its down to these 2. Which guitar is a higher quality instrument? They are basically the same price.

(Invalid img)

OR

Last edited by hoosierxhoosier at Jun 23, 2011,
They're both high quality instruments imo, it really boils down to your personal preference.
the RR1 would be much easier to play if you do a lot of shredding with it's body shape and much thinner neck. Gibson LPs generally are very warm "thick" sounding but their neck is quite fat as well, you might want to try them out first before deciding. They are both great, but very different animals.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
IMO the jackson is much better quality, ive played both and have always been far more impressed with the jackson usa series than anything the usa gibson standard line has to offer.
First off, I am very biased against Les Pauls because I think that they are terribly overrated, over used, and just flat uninteresting because they are EVERYWHERE.
So I would say go for the RR1 right off the bat.

But if we're talking about straight nuts and bolts...... Gibsons arn't nearly what they used to be, just like Gretsches (I think that's how you spell it), so I'd still go for the RR1. You gotta remember I don't ever play sitting down, so if you do....... let's just say it will take some time to get used to.
Well, it depends, what kind of music do you want to play?
Quote by cm880999
Not fast enough.. try playing this song i wrote it's called trolls delight!

heres the progression

A F Bb Gm E C D A Bm C Bm A Bm Bb Bm Cm Cb C Cbm A

played at 883 bmp change the chord every click

its pretty easy though
Quote by LZRocker
First off, I am very biased against Les Pauls because I think that they are terribly overrated, over used, and just flat uninteresting because they are EVERYWHERE.
So I would say go for the RR1 right off the bat.

But if we're talking about straight nuts and bolts...... Gibsons arn't nearly what they used to be, just like Gretsches (I think that's how you spell it), so I'd still go for the RR1. You gotta remember I don't ever play sitting down, so if you do....... let's just say it will take some time to get used to.

Agreed on the choice here.

To be fair some people(myself included) find V's comfortable sitting down. Have to play them in the classical stance. Might need a 45 degree angled tip on your cord depending on where the input is with V's.
I would have to take a stab and defend the Gibson Les Paul, I have one for about 3 years now and the action, tuning etc is still perfect (only got it setup once).. aside the dings it still plays like a dream.
Quote by xSacrilegex
Agreed on the choice here.

To be fair some people(myself included) find V's comfortable sitting down. Have to play them in the classical stance. Might need a 45 degree angled tip on your cord depending on where the input is with V's.

Yeah, some people like sitting like that. My guitar teacher does, but then he's Greek and has a mullet, lol.
The RR is a signature model so some of the money you pay for it might be going towards the name.

Even then, I'd still get the Jackson.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

If for some reason you have some brain trauma and actually get the Les Paul, but a pickguard on it for christs sake
Quote by LZRocker
If for some reason you have some brain trauma and actually get the Les Paul, but a pickguard on it for christs sake

Most LPs come with a pickguard.....

*for the price of a RR1 you can probably upgrade to a custom shop Les Paul which is much higher quality compare to the standard ones.
Last edited by Bongmaster at Jun 23, 2011,
Quote by OliOsbourne
The RR is a signature model so some of the money you pay for it might be going towards the name.

Even then, I'd still get the Jackson.

But then again, The Les Paul is a signature model in a round about sort of way too.

TS, I say go play a bunch of les pauls, and a bunch or R1s. I dont know about Jacksons neck consistency, but I know Gibsons are very different in almost every guitar. Pick up 5 Les pauls with the 50's neck, and not one will feel the same. Sometimes you get lucky and find that perfect one.
Quote by Bongmaster
Most LPs come with a pickguard.....

*for the price of a RR1 you can probably upgrade to a custom shop Les Paul which is much higher quality compare to the standard ones.

????

RR1 = $2199
Les paul standard = $2700
Les paul custom = $3899

Now that I look at these prices, Gibson is way overpriced.

I think the RR1 is still better than the LP custom and it is nearly half the price.....pathetic.
The LP in the picture does come with a pickguard. Its in the box. You just have to attach it yourself if you want to. I've never hit the area in between the pickups anyways. I have three Gibson LPs (2 Standards). My Heritage Cherry Standard Plus uses a single peice of wood for the back. My goldtop uses two.

I like the standards. The locking jack and tuners are a nice addition to a great guitar. I would say it kind of depends on what you want. I think the LP is a nicer guitar but the Jackson definately has it beat on fret access unless you have HUGE fingers.

I think you'll be happy with either.
If you don't like the price you can get a traditional for $500 less. You might like it better (weight relieved vs chambered). Just wait to buy them when their on sale. MF just had a 15% off sale last month.
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
Thanks for the input guys. Randy Rhoads is my fav guitarist that RR1 is calling my name lol

Ever plan on playing sitting down ? The V's can be uncomfortable.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by AXEFAN88
Ever plan on playing sitting down ? The V's can be uncomfortable.

Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I play 90% sitting down. I played a RR3 or about 5 minutes before at a shop and didn't have problems. I definitely need to play one for longer than that to see if it can be uncomfortable after a while. Next time im at the shop I will grab that rr3 and play it for an hour straight and see how I react to it.
Dude, if you can find a place that fits for you, it wont be uncomfortable, its just if you can stand sitting like that is the trick.
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I play 90% sitting down. I played a RR3 or about 5 minutes before at a shop and didn't have problems. I definitely need to play one for longer than that to see if it can be uncomfortable after a while. Next time im at the shop I will grab that rr3 and play it for an hour straight and see how I react to it.

Don't listen to axefan it's his opinion. If you thinks it's comfortable, then get it.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by hoosierxhoosier
????

RR1 = $2199
Les paul standard = $2700
Les paul custom = $3899

Now that I look at these prices, Gibson is way overpriced.

I think the RR1 is still better than the LP custom and it is nearly half the price.....pathetic.

I paid about $2700 for my goldtop custom shop from ebay... Yes it's real.
*it was new and came with the hardcase that went along with it

Also were you the one who started the thread? Have you even played them yet? Just "thinking" one guitar is better then another based on others opinions is indeed... pathetic.
Last edited by Bongmaster at Jun 24, 2011,
RR1, well that's what I would choose so take that with a grain of salt, if you can, try both out.
i am partial to Jackson guitars because i love their necks. i tend to stay away from the wild shapes tho cuz i mostly play sitting down. as has been mentioned, you'd play the V in a classical stance while sitting down. might take some getting used to, but seems comfortable enough. i play my dinkys like that sometimes when i'm laying back on the couch.

the neck profile is going to be the biggest difference in overall playing feel between the two instruments. you really should play both before dropping $2k+ on a guitar.
I really think the key here, other than the visual 'what does it for you' factor, is definitely how it feels to play..... i have a jackson dxmg (strat shape but typical jackson neck) and it plays beautifully, i also have a dean razorback which has the pointy design which again is awesome to look at and play but can be awkward due to the angles etc..... however, like others have said, the Les Paul is everywhere and can be considered 'boring ' as such... BUT there's a reason it's everywhere.... The first time i played one, it was like Les Paul had time travelled into the future and asked me what my specs for the perfect guitar would be.... it feels like it just 'fits'! i now own 2 LP's, one gibson studio and an Epi custom.... and they are my 'go to' guitars as they are just so comfortable and sound amazing (the epi has emg's in it, the gibby is left as standard).
basically, what i'm saying is, like anything in life, it comes down to personal preference so even if you like the look of the jackson, you may love (or hate) the way the lp plays.
either way..... you've given yourself a win/win situations as both guitars are awesome!!
best of luck with your decision and post some pics when you've got it!! \m/

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by OliOsbourne
Don't listen to axefan it's his opinion. If you thinks it's comfortable, then get it.

Lmao. He asked for our opinions... Just like you just gave yours.
I should also add that I'm glad I gave him the opinion as he expressed he has a concern about sitting with it as well. My opinion reinforced his concern. Hopefully it prompts him to try it longer and find out for himself.

Ultimate Guitar forums are full of mostly opinions lol

Kk now that I wore myself out.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Last edited by AXEFAN88 at Jun 25, 2011,
No offense to whoever said that Gibson Les Paul are overpriced crap but I would like to see any of the guitars you currently have or any standard production RR1, out perform my Les Paul Custom Re-Issue. CS Gibsons are possibly the best guitars out there today, I'm willing to bet you've played 2 or 3 at most, certainly no more than 5.

If you're paying the prices stated in your post, it's because you're buying from the big stores such as GC,MF, Sweetwater, Wildwood etc. I got my 68 Re-Issue Les Paul Custom from a store, brand new, for over $1000 less than what it would have cost at GC because I looked around and found decent stores.

EDIT:

I have nothing against Jacksons and very much enjoy playing thier guitars, but from my own personal experiences, none of their standard, non-cs guitars are going to outperform and play better than my CS Les Paul. Randy is my 1st or 2nd favourite guitarist ever so believe me I love his playing and you'll notice he spent a lot of time playing a Les Paul Custom and it was his main stage guitar.
Last edited by digman50 at Jun 25, 2011,
This is just stupid!!!

It's like asking do you like Chocolate or strawberries

Just my 2¢ IMHO a Les Paul neck and baseball bat have striking resemblance.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier