Hey guys, I currently have a Fuzz face clone with germanium transistors, and I've heard that heat can effect how Ge transistors work.

I was playing in my room (hot summer afternoon, temp around 80-85 deg F (26-29 deg C) because my neighbors complain about the noise if I open the windows), and my fuzzface sounded super farty, as if the batteries were dying (or the bias was turned to very low, neither of which was the case). A few hours later, once the sun had set and my room was some 10 degrees cooler, the pedal sounded fine.

I've noticed such is the case with some of my other pedals, where it seems like time of day/temp affects how they sound... or could it be a tube temp thing? I'm using a Vox AC15 C1, and I've replaced all the tubes no more than 6 months ago...

Sometimes the pedals work great with the amp and everything sounds awesome; other times everything sounds farty and thin, but if I just use pure preamp tube overdrive, it usually sounds fine regardless... am I going crazy or is there some logic to what's happening?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Jun 23, 2011,
The Ge FF is the only thing that will sound different at different temps. You can rebias to accommodate or place a reversed biased Ge diode from base to emitter.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Right I've tried rebiasing via some trim pots I put on it for that very purpose, but so my main question is, would an atmospheric temp difference from say, 65 deg F to 85 deg F produce a noticeable change in sound (such as the farty sound I'm hearing)?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
ah ok gotcha... I thought they'd need more extreme heat, like +90 deg F or direct sunlight... learn something new everyday
It depends on the leakage. Real low leakage transistors won't give you problems at pretty much any temperature.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah it's not a huge difference, but once you crank the amp it's totally the farty sound i was describing... I also noticed the transistors were touching part of the metal body, which is partly touching the powerplant (which is kind of releasing heat too)... I bent the transistors toward the circuit board to fix this... thanks guys!
I heard something about putting ge tranny pedals in the freezer and they sound great after. I need to try it with my fuzz face. Though i think the fridge would do it.
huh... I'll try it when i get home... I might try putting some sort of ventilation grate on my fuzz face just to let air move through it... I had no idea that it could make such a difference... I always figured the temperature thing was an exaggeration
Theres probably big money in a GE pedal water cooling system.

My pedal board is near my radiator, if i leave it on for a while it sounds pretty horrible.