This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but i figured I'd ask before I buy a looper. If loop a track on my amp's clean channel, then i switch my amp to the gain channel, does the looped track still stay clean or does it go to the dirty channel?

Also, has anyone tried the hardwire dl-8?
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
it depends. if you have an effects loop it should stay clean as the effects loop wil come after your pre amp/.

but if you run guitar->loop->amp then you will get a distorted tone.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
it depends. if you have an effects loop it should stay clean as the effects loop wil come after your pre amp/.

but if you run guitar->loop->amp then you will get a distorted tone.

Yup, this.
So I'd have to buy a separate preamp? Because I was just planning on getting the pedal and nothing else. Although I guess if I record the loop on the dirty channel with the volume knob rolled down, i could just turn it up and get the extra grit i needed. I could be wrong though, i'm just getting into this pedal stuff.
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

if your amp has an effects loop you can do it easily. if not, you can use a distortion pedal to do it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oh okay, yeah it's a tube amp so there's no onboard effects. I understand how i have to do it now. As long as I keep the amp on the clean channel, i can do whatever I want for the lead tones as long as its on clean. but as soon as i take it off clean, the loop switches to the dirty channel. thanks!
-Jeff Tuttle

I use a line 6 too loop clean tracks and it works ok for playing at home.

I don't like to put it in the fx loop because it sounds muffled when I play with it.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by biker521
Oh okay, yeah it's a tube amp so there's no onboard effects. I understand how i have to do it now. As long as I keep the amp on the clean channel, i can do whatever I want for the lead tones as long as its on clean. but as soon as i take it off clean, the loop switches to the dirty channel. thanks!

Is there an "effects loop" (ie two jacks labeled send and return) on your amp? What is your amp anyway, might save some trouble...
THE RULE -> No dirt (or most other FX) after the looper.

Maybe some reverb as reverb is an environment effect.

A looper may or may not have problems with an FX loop depending on the amp and looper. My Jamman does not like hotter than instrument level.